Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:50 AM   #1

Cat spewing oil

I have a 2003 Cat c7 in a 34H Itasca Meridian with about 80,000 miles on it.

Within the last year or so it has begun to throw an oily film all over my tow car, particularly on the drivers side. This is on the exhaust side of the MH opposite of the slober tube.

I did have a new HPFP put int around the same time this started happening.

Also, before the HPFP it started to run on the warm side on steep pulls in the heat. I have to keep my rpms up to keep it from over heating.

Im at a loss. Can any body help.

Mike
mmacfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 10:03 AM   #2

Mike,

First suspect is an overfilled crankcase. Remember, the dip stock is NOT a Caterpillar part and may not be properly calibrated.

If leaking on the side opposite the crankcase breather, you should be able to identify the source of the oil leak.

And, when was the front of the CAC last cleaned? From the bedroom/closet, shine a strong flashlight into the perimeter of the fan shroud. Verify that the perimeter, particularly the lower perimeter is as clean as the center. An oil leak WILL have that oil mist sucked into the front of the CAC and dirt will then deposit on it, materially restricting air flow through the CAC and radiator.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Mike,

First suspect is an overfilled crankcase. Remember, the dip stock is NOT a Caterpillar part and may not be properly calibrated.

If leaking on the side opposite the crankcase breather, you should be able to identify the source of the oil leak.

And, when was the front of the CAC last cleaned? From the bedroom/closet, shine a strong flashlight into the perimeter of the fan shroud. Verify that the perimeter, particularly the lower perimeter is as clean as the center. An oil leak WILL have that oil mist sucked into the front of the CAC and dirt will then deposit on it, materially restricting air flow through the CAC and radiator.
Thank you. I was also wondering about an overfill.

I’ve had the bed off many times and have looked for a leak and can’t find it. The mechanic that put the HPFP is was surprised how clean it looked. I will definitely look again.

I forgot to mention we are getting a faint fuel burn smell when the engine hits about 200F.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #4

But, an overfilled crankcase will put excessive oil vapor out the crankcase breather-- on the other side of the engine from where you see it.

If a leaking gasket, you should be able to find it.

Anther possibility over on that side is the oil supply to the turbo and the drain hose from turbo back to engine. Check them carefully-- you don't want to loose a turbo over compromised oil supply.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:05 PM   #5

I had a leaky CAC with lower turbo boost. I replaced it and all of the soot and oil spots are gone. Just saying.
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmacfive View Post
I have a 2003 Cat c7 in a 34H Itasca Meridian with about 80,000 miles on it.

Within the last year or so it has begun to throw an oily film all over my tow car, particularly on the drivers side. This is on the exhaust side of the MH opposite of the slober tube.

I did have a new HPFP put int around the same time this started happening.

Also, before the HPFP it started to run on the warm side on steep pulls in the heat. I have to keep my rpms up to keep it from over heating.

Im at a loss. Can any body help.

Mike
Mike,
Just a quick question or two. First, what's an "HPFP"? I probably know what it is, just not referred to in those letters.
Second, you state your coach is an '03 Meridian, with a "C-7", correct? Just wondering, I wasn't aware of the Meridian model being built in 2003. I was under the impression they were introduced in 2004. And, along with that, the C-7 replaced the 3126 in late of '03 but, were introduced in 2004 coaches, like ours, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. Our chassis build date is/was Oct of '03. Again, just kind-a wondering.

Typically, the "overfill" oil issues were with the C-7 and not the 3126 but, that's not to say it didn't or can't happen to a 3126. On our C-7, I too had to re-calibrate the dip stick after my first oil change. Yep, dumped a bit of oil residue onto both of our toads before I learned about it. But, you say your oil residue on the toad is on the opposite side of the blow-by tube, correct? Hmmm, this will be interesting to find the answer.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Mike,
Just a quick question or two. First, what's an "HPFP"? I probably know what it is, just not referred to in those letters.
Second, you state your coach is an '03 Meridian, with a "C-7", correct? Just wondering, I wasn't aware of the Meridian model being built in 2003. I was under the impression they were introduced in 2004. And, along with that, the C-7 replaced the 3126 in late of '03 but, were introduced in 2004 coaches, like ours, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. Our chassis build date is/was Oct of '03. Again, just kind-a wondering.

Typically, the "overfill" oil issues were with the C-7 and not the 3126 but, that's not to say it didn't or can't happen to a 3126. On our C-7, I too had to re-calibrate the dip stick after my first oil change. Yep, dumped a bit of oil residue onto both of our toads before I learned about it. But, you say your oil residue on the toad is on the opposite side of the blow-by tube, correct? Hmmm, this will be interesting to find the answer.
Scott
High pressure fuel pump.

You are right It is a 2004.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:21 AM   #8

Hey Mike,
Thanks for getting back to me on this. When you say "high pressure fuel pump", I'm kind-of assuming you mean the *HEUI* pump, correct?
Scott
Old 07-25-2021, 07:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Hey Mike,
Thanks for getting back to me on this. When you say "high pressure fuel pump", I'm kind-of assuming you mean the *HEUI* pump, correct?
Scott

You are correct. Ive always thought HEUI and HPFP were synonymous. I know my mechanic calls it a HPFP.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
But, an overfilled crankcase will put excessive oil vapor out the crankcase breather-- on the other side of the engine from where you see it.

If a leaking gasket, you should be able to find it.

Anther possibility over on that side is the oil supply to the turbo and the drain hose from turbo back to engine. Check them carefully-- you don't want to loose a turbo over compromised oil supply.
Forgive my diesel ignorance.

I found where the oil is coming from now I just gotta figure out why.

On the passenger side behind the transmission there is a canister that is about 6-8” in diameter that has what looks like oil lines coming in and out. On one line there is a brass fitting that has a tire valve inline. On the other line there is a ball valve. I cannot trace these lines without removing the bed but one appears to go towards the top of the engine, maybe close to the valve cover.

Again this sits behind the tranny on the drivers side. It explains why I sometimes smell burnt oil smell when the tranny gets warmer.

So WTH is this canister?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2021, 03:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmacfive View Post
Forgive my diesel ignorance.

I found where the oil is coming from now I just gotta figure out why.

On the passenger side behind the transmission there is a canister that is about 6-8” in diameter that has what looks like oil lines coming in and out. On one line there is a brass fitting that has a tire valve inline. On the other line there is a ball valve. I cannot trace these lines without removing the bed but one appears to go towards the top of the engine, maybe close to the valve cover.

Again this sits behind the tranny on the drivers side. It explains why I sometimes smell burnt oil smell when the tranny gets warmer.

So WTH is this canister?

Thanks
Hmmmm,
I would need to see a pic of this "canister" to maybe help identify it. I don't recall anything like that on ours and, I've been under, over and around that C-7 a few zillion times. This is interesting.
Scott
Old 07-26-2021, 03:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Hmmmm,
I would need to see a pic of this "canister" to maybe help identify it. I don't recall anything like that on ours and, I've been under, over and around that C-7 a few zillion times. This is interesting.
Scott

Here are a few pictures. This is just below where the driveline comes out of the tranny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37DDA8D4-600B-4176-850B-5C905EDC3EB4.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	337356   Click image for larger version

Name:	241C4857-26B6-44DC-80CA-13C4B1D0E943.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	337357  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AA2CF3C4-DF83-4AF7-B0B7-9A87337129D1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	337358  
Old 07-26-2021, 03:12 PM   #13

Looks like the AIR DRYER to me.

Is that the SOURCE of the oil, or just where it was deposited? Suspect the latter.

And, suspect those are AIR lines. Trace one back to the AIR COMPRESSOR on the engine. The other line goes to the air system WET TANK.

See if the oil mist originates from the CRANKCASE BREATHER.

Quite likely you will need to clean that whole area before you will be able to identify the source of the oil.

And, from the looks of it, the air dryer is way, way past it's replacement/service date.

Again, a little difficult to tell from the pictures, so feel free to correct me if this is not what you are seeing.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:26 PM   #14

I do not believe it is the source of the oil. Just where it’s collecting. I am not at home or it would be pressure washed by now. I will get it clean and figure out where it is coming from. I’m need to take my bed off and look from the top also.

Thank you for all of your help. I have a good starting point.

I also believe the oil is overfilled. I’m considering removing the oil filter and draining it. I’m a little concerned about trying to drain a little out of the pan plug. What is your recommendation?

Tags
cat