Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
True 3126 3116 C7 do not have replaceable sleeves. And there for are not as likely to have cavitation problem. But neither do the Ford diesels and they require SCA. But the key thing do not have SCA concentrations higher than recommended. Because it can cause phosphate or silicate drop out (depending on the formula of the antifreeze) which can and has caused cylinder head cracking and piston seizure due to localized overheating. More then recommended SCAs is not a good thing.

Very interesting. I only know about cavitation in Cummins wet liner design engines. Without liners in contact with coolant, where does cavitation occur in these engines. I understand that the SCA/DCA components form a coating on the internal surfaces of the cooling system so there must be some other benefit derived from that coating. Straight HD coolant without a SCA component has better heat transfer characteristics so there must be some reason to spec the SCA coolant.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #16
Cat

I still think most of their (Ford) cavitation is still in the cylinder area of the block. The internal loads from the engine firing must be high enough to cause the cylinder to "ring" and form the cavitation voids even in a cast in cylinder.

Although we did see cavitation on the liners and their sealing areas but also in the larger Caterpillar V8s - D3408 and D 3412 D 3416 -blocks- away from the liner- 50mm away from the liner and approx. 60-70 mm from the top of the block and toward the center of the V. And only when the client wasn't using coolant with SCAs. Weird stuff happens -all the time LOL
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I still think most of their (Ford) cavitation is still in the cylinder area of the block. The internal loads from the engine firing must be high enough to cause the cylinder to "ring" and form the cavitation voids even in a cast in cylinder.

Although we did see cavitation on the liners and their sealing areas but also in the larger Caterpillar V8s - D3408 and D 3412 D 3416 -blocks- away from the liner- 50mm away from the liner and approx. 60-70 mm from the top of the block and toward the center of the V. And only when the client wasn't using coolant with SCAs. Weird stuff happens -all the time LOL

Thanks for the info & the benefit of your specific knowledge. I guess the coating on the surfaces of the coolant passages are a protectant regardless of location. I wish Spike45 (Gary) was still an active poster. It would be interesting to get the prospective of a coolant expert.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #18

So a friend who is a military mechanic i brought up the antifreeze issue.

He said yes he had heard of this and they have all sorts of cats, cummins, detroits etc... in the fleet.

I said so what to you do on antifreeze. He said every single one comes with green antifreeze. From the factory they come with nothing special just old style antifreeze even the new ones come this way.

I said you know there is a lot of discussion about this he said yeah i know but the military uses green on everything.

Jut thought that was interesting.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #19
Cat

Green is just a color. Especially with the military. The military wouldn't want to have different antifreezes for different engines. If not necessary. I believe if you find the Mil specs it will have SCAs in it. You can use antifreeze with SCAs in most if not all engines. Most large mines use one antifreeze for all their engine needs. Caterpillar long life (ELC) can be used in gasoline engines.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #20

Ok.... this coach is new to me and after making the original post for this thread, I found a gallon of CAT ELC tucked away in the basement. Judging from all the responses, CAT ELC is probably the best choice. Thanks!
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote