Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Coolant change and drain

It is time to drain and replace the coolant on my C9. Before I get started I would like to know how best to drain and flush the system. Where is the block drain located? What hose to disconnect for best results? All I know is the petcock on the side radiator. I do have Air Lift to pull all the air out of the system and refill. Will be using the CAT ELC. Should I drain anything on the Aqua Hot?

Thanks for your advice.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 08:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
It is time to drain and replace the coolant on my C9. Before I get started I would like to know how best to drain and flush the system. Where is the block drain located? What hose to disconnect for best results? All I know is the petcock on the side radiator. I do have Air Lift to pull all the air out of the system and refill. Will be using the CAT ELC. Should I drain anything on the Aqua Hot?

Thanks for your advice.
I need to do this also, so looking forward to everyone's replys
bamarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
There is a way to run the pumps on the AH to cycle it out . I would.
Still need to do this, but i don't have a way yo capture it and dispose of it.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'm going to be doing this too. This is my plan.

For my AH, I have the engine pre-heat option, which will pump the engine coolant through the AH unit. That will clear out those lines.

You can capture the old coolant in a 15 gal tupperware tub (lined with a hd yard waste trash bag to make clean up easier).

After you drain the old coolant, pour in your 10 gal of distilled water into coach (and any coolant flush, if your using any), then transfer the old coolant from the tub to the empty 1 gal jugs of distilled water that you just put in coach for flushing.

After running engine to hot, drain that water into the Tub and pour in the next 10 gallons of distilled water. transfer old distilled water in tub to the empty gallon jugs.

either repeat the flush with another 10 gallons of water (if the water drained is not clear) - or fill the coach with the correct/final mixture of water-coolant.

My coach takes 10 gallons of coolant, so I bought 20 gallons of distilled water and 5 gallons on concentrated OAT.

You now have 20 1-gallon jugs of old coolant. You can take this to disposal site (landfill, ertc.) some auto parts stores will take it.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:09 PM   #5

What I would do is get a new set of t/stat and 2 gaskets. Remove the old t/stats and clean off the old gasket place a new gasket with just the housing then add distilled water to fill. This way you don't need to run to get it up to temp to open the t/stats. Then when you have all the old coolant out an flushed, remove the t/stat housing then start filling with Cat ELC coolant. If the system hold 10gal add 5gal concentrate then have someone watch the housing while you add the distilled water tell you see it in the t/stat housing. Replace the 2 t/stats and a new gasket and finish filling the system. This way you have no air in the system. I just replace my t/stats because the small one was broken.

This is what I did on my 06 Ford PSD to remove the junk gold coolant using Restore and Restore+ from Cummins to remove the silicates and clean the oil cooler. Took me 10hrs and 54 gallons of distilled water. On HAZMAT weekend at the dump to in 54 jugs.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
What I would do is get a new set of t/stat and 2 gaskets. Remove the old t/stats and clean off the old gasket place a new gasket with just the housing then add distilled water to fill. This way you don't need to run to get it up to temp to open the t/stats. Then when you have all the old coolant out an flushed, remove the t/stat housing then start filling with Cat ELC coolant. If the system hold 10gal add 5gal concentrate then have someone watch the housing while you add the distilled water tell you see it in the t/stat housing. Replace the 2 t/stats and a new gasket and finish filling the system. This way you have no air in the system. I just replace my t/stats because the small one was broken.

This is what I did on my 06 Ford PSD to remove the junk gold coolant using Restore and Restore+ from Cummins to remove the silicates and clean the oil cooler. Took me 10hrs and 54 gallons of distilled water. On HAZMAT weekend at the dump to in 54 jugs.
2 stroker
Here is a picture of my broken t/stat and housing Click image for larger version

Name:	20180511_181610.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	205101Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_161238.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	205102
Old 06-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the advice everyone.

2 stroker that is a great way to get all the coolant out of the system. I replaced my thermostats a couple months ago and should have changed coolant then but didn't. I bought an Airlift tool for the purpose of keeping air out of the system that worked pretty well. Good tool to have. Ran the Agua Hot preheat for the engine, up front heater fan to circulate the coolant through the heater core too. Drained through the pet cock on the radiator and ran the coach to temp each time I flushed with water. Flushed four or five times last one with distilled water until pretty much just getting water out of the drain. Filled with green as that way I wasn't putting a different coolant in the system. Will do this again in three years and at that time replace the T-stats and do it your way, sounds less time consuming and cleaner.

Thanks again for the advice.

Steve
Old 06-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #8

Steve
Yes it should work because there is nothing to keep the water from moving in the system by the water pump.
When I did my Ford 6.0 PSD I used the Restore first to turn the silicates back to a gel from a crystal form caused by the heat from the EGR cooler. I had to add cardboard in from the the radiator because the coolant had to get to 185-190deg on my Edge Insight CTS before the restore worked, hard to do without a t/stat. Ran it hard for 1hr then did distilled flush never using tap water because of the minerals in the water. I did this 8 years ago.
My C-9 coolant was changed to Cat ELC in 2012 when the radiator was installed and I just pull a sample and sent into Cat and said it was still good, no need to add Cat Extender.
2 stroker
Old 06-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #9

I like rotella line of products so i went with Rotella ELC they have matches to different requirements i picked the Cat which was ELC in the blue color code like
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rot...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 06-20-2018, 12:44 AM   #10

I have the 3126-E Cat and it takes 36 quarts according to Freight liner in Gaffney, SC. He told me the best way to drain the anti freeze was to disconnect the bottom radiator hose and for the block to disconnect on the driver side the heater hose that attach to the side of the block. I told him my coach has had the green anti freeze since new. He said replace it with the same green stuff 50/50 mixed already Glycol and distill water with no extender he said. Extender would make it foam according to the tech at Freight liner. Bought the anti freeze at Napa and will probably do it tomorrow.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote