Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2019, 10:59 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Extending the slobber tube

we have an FL-60 Sport Chassis, and the refurbished (whatever that really means) CAT 3126b motor, and it's starting to blow some smoke out the slobber tube, and it's getting the underside a bit oily, as I don't have the money to rebuild or replace, and its still a strong motor I just thought why not extend the tube to the back or introduce the smoke right into the end or close to the end of the exhaust (its a weed burner exhaust down low and out the side in front of the rear wheels) is there anything I should be aware of when extending the slobber tube past the factory length and that's about to the bottom of the block
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2019, 10:59 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
No problem.
It was common on the old Detroit Diesels ("road-oilers") to extend the tube by clamping a rubber hose over it. Some coach owners have extended their hose to go into a plastic bottle (just be sure that top of bottle is open to allow gas to escape) so they could catch the oil drippings and keep off their driveway. Then they would just dump the bottle every so often.

I would not extend the hose in "tens of feet" as that may allow crankcase pressure to build up more in the engine which could cause seal leakage.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The bottle trick or a big suitable container would keep the back of the coach as well as the toad oil film free where the extension tube most likely wii not.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 3126E and since we have had it, I have run a hose from the slobber tube with a plastic bottle on the end, I put a steel wool pad in the bottle to catch any oil that come out the tube. We had our engine rebuilt just over a year ago and I have found that the bottle turns black more quickly now, not sure if it is just the break in period for the rebuilt engine or not. Have not seen any smoking from the exhaust. I change out the bottle when I have the service done whether it needs it or not.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
We have a 3126E and since we have had it, I have run a hose from the slobber tube with a plastic bottle on the end, I put a steel wool pad in the bottle to catch any oil that come out the tube. We had our engine rebuilt just over a year ago and I have found that the bottle turns black more quickly now, not sure if it is just the break in period for the rebuilt engine or not. Have not seen any smoking from the exhaust. I change out the bottle when I have the service done whether it needs it or not.
I built a similar setup other than i used a small plastic peanut butter jar installed upside down. Every few thousand miles i get under, remove the cap, clean things up, install new steel wool and a couple 'cardboard bar coasters, to soak up oil and done.. been on for 15,000 miles and works great...
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
HRF

Winnebago Owners Club
My CAT dealer extended the slobber tube on my 2007 C-7 and ran it out the back of the MH like an exhaust pipe. Seemed like a good plan until I towed my white car for a day and discovered the front of the car was covered in an oily black substance that was difficult to remove. Attaching a bottle to the tube sounds like a good idea but how do you attach the bottle?
HRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRF View Post
My CAT dealer extended the slobber tube on my 2007 C-7 and ran it out the back of the MH like an exhaust pipe. Seemed like a good plan until I towed my white car for a day and discovered the front of the car was covered in an oily black substance that was difficult to remove. Attaching a bottle to the tube sounds like a good idea but how do you attach the bottle?
HRF,
Well Sir, the very, VERY first thing you need to do is CONFIRM you have ONLY 19 quarts of oil in that motor. Even CAT dealers/service centers have been known to install too much oil in the C-7s. I don't know if you know all about the improper marking of the dip sticks from the factory. And, many of the C-7s out there have had the incorrect amount of oil added. In many cases, as much as 22 quarts were installed. Too much oil results in foaming and excessive crank case vapors.

Those excessive vapors only have ONE WAY OUT and, that is the slobber tube. So, if you haven't done it or, are unsure if it's been done or not is, drain all your oil. Then, install a new filter and a MAXIMUM of 19 quarts in that engine. Then, when the engine has been ran for a few minutes and shut down for say, about a good 1/2 hour or so, remove the dip stick and clean it all off thoroughly and, remark it at the proper level that you see.

Now, if all that has already been done, and you're still putting out oil from that blow-by tube, then you may have other issues. I'm by far, no expert on this but, I do know that most had the incorrect amount of oil in there C-7s, did experience lots of blow by and with the correction to the proper amount, the excessive blow-by all but quit

I get some now and then on our toads from our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP but, not a ton. And, I don't know what you used or tried to use to remove that oil but, it's no big deal. I keep a quart of paint thinner in the coach, just for the rare situations when I get a few splatters of oil on our toads. NO, it DOES NOT hurt the paint, plastic, bumper plastics, NOTHING. Paint thinner is a very, very mild solvent and has no effects on paint finishes. It will however, make removal of those oil spots, very easy.

Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:59 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
HRF,
Well Sir, the very, VERY first thing you need to do is CONFIRM you have ONLY 19 quarts of oil in that motor. Even CAT dealers/service centers have been known to install too much oil in the C-7s. I don't know if you know all about the improper marking of the dip sticks from the factory. And, many of the C-7s out there have had the incorrect amount of oil added. In many cases, as much as 22 quarts were installed. Too much oil results in foaming and excessive crank case vapors.

Those excessive vapors only have ONE WAY OUT and, that is the slobber tube. So, if you haven't done it or, are unsure if it's been done or not is, drain all your oil. Then, install a new filter and a MAXIMUM of 19 quarts in that engine. Then, when the engine has been ran for a few minutes and shut down for say, about a good 1/2 hour or so, remove the dip stick and clean it all off thoroughly and, remark it at the proper level that you see.

Now, if all that has already been done, and you're still putting out oil from that blow-by tube, then you may have other issues. I'm by far, no expert on this but, I do know that most had the incorrect amount of oil in there C-7s, did experience lots of blow by and with the correction to the proper amount, the excessive blow-by all but quit

I get some now and then on our toads from our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP but, not a ton. And, I don't know what you used or tried to use to remove that oil but, it's no big deal. I keep a quart of paint thinner in the coach, just for the rare situations when I get a few splatters of oil on our toads. NO, it DOES NOT hurt the paint, plastic, bumper plastics, NOTHING. Paint thinner is a very, very mild solvent and has no effects on paint finishes. It will however, make removal of those oil spots, very easy.

Good luck.
Scott
There are 2 different oil pans on these CAT motors and I have the deep pan, plus 2 more oil filters besides the one mounted on the side of the block, so my truck takes 7 gals, but the next oil change I will look into the dip stick issues
Old 02-26-2019, 07:43 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPOHOLIC View Post
There are 2 different oil pans on these CAT motors and I have the deep pan, plus 2 more oil filters besides the one mounted on the side of the block, so my truck takes 7 gals, but the next oil change I will look into the dip stick issues
Where are these extra two oil filters located - and are they the same as the engine filter (CAT supplied)?
Who installed the other two (that did not come with the engine (the coach builder or Owner)?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
2 extra filters

The 2 extra filters are bypass filer system, that take 10% of the oil and double filet it