Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #15

Much thanks to both of you. The experience of others is very helpful.

So went over to the CAT dealer here in West Palm, Pantropic Power. They were very good to me. I showed this thread to the tech on my phone right away and he was interested. I showed the photos from here and that was great too! He said it would not be the first time an engine did not have a sensor it was throwing a code for. They plugged in and found it was directing to the sensor and location we have been discussing. He crawled under the rig to see if there was a wire that was meant for the sensor that could be failing or grounding. Nope, dont have the sensor, dont have the wire! plugged back in and checked it again, computer showed the sensor installed, but we knew it wasnt, so he said thats the problem, checked for any other issues. Then flashed the software to an updated version. Charged me for 1 hour at $95.00.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #16

I'm happy you got it worked out and at a reasonable charge.

I know from my engine project that Cat built multiple engine configurations
and you can't expect one to be the same as the next even if it is the same
year model and H.P. level.

Please let us know if you see any improvement in performance or mileage from
the software update.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #17

I will let you guys know for sure. One thing I noticed right away is my analog temp gauge used to run right in the middle of the gauge while the digital one showed 188 to 194. Now the analog gauge needle is much higher than before while running at the same 188 to 194 range.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #18

DAMN DAMN DAMN. I forgot to mention to have them print out the information on the ECU. It shows all kinds of engine history and vitals and would have taken him 2 minutes and 10 sheets of paper to do.

Oh well, glad you got your issue resolved. Remember it took the tech 5 hours to get to the same place on mine. I swear he ordered the part so he could see what it looked like so he could find it. Ugh.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #19

They did give me the print out. On their own. It is a nice thing to have. Its funny though because the tech sent the print out to the printer inside the office and that was before they flashed the ECU. So the print out shows that the fuel pressure sensor is installed.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #20

Ahhh! Muy Bueno!

Chris
Old 08-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #21

I know exactly what your problem is since I have a2005 cat c7 which had same problem
after many techs my problem was it was over boosting from the turbo should be 25 psi with no flacuation and that has to be under load while driving while the tach should have guage or laptop hooked up do this first,but make sure your air and fuel filters are good.to fix it there is a sensor on top of motor which regulates this pressure through gate valve.sensor is$150.00 10 minutes to install.
good luck
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacdubonnet View Post
I know exactly what your problem is since I have a2005 cat c7 which had same problem
after many techs my problem was it was over boosting from the turbo should be 25 psi with no flacuation and that has to be under load while driving while the tach should have guage or laptop hooked up do this first,but make sure your air and fuel filters are good.to fix it there is a sensor on top of motor which regulates this pressure through gate valve.sensor is$150.00 10 minutes to install.
good luck
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #23

had same problem on my 2005 c7.after a year of techs not knowing finally got it fixed.

problem was it was over boosting through turbo which was turning on engine lite.boost should be 25 psi no more should not flacuate under load to get real reading can be measured by a laptop hooked up to motor.also make sure your air and fuel filter are good,the fix is the sensor valve which operates gate valve to regulate your boost pressure.it's a $150.00 part 10 minutes to change it's located on the left side of motor on top.if you need extra help rolandh@mts.net
good luck
Old 08-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #24

had exactly same problem on my c7 with engine lite

problem is your turbo is over boosting past 25 psi which controlled by a sensor unit to open this valve to prevent overboosting.sensor is located on top left side of engine
10 minutes to change at a cost of $150.00.
you are getting a lot of wrong advice when it over boosts it turns your engine lite on
after 6 months of this finally found a tech that was good
and make sure you air and fuel filters are good first
good luck
chip Winnipeg mb
Old 09-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #25

I have a c7 2005,just fixed mine after many poor techs finally found a good one after a whole year of this.
problem was it was over boosting through turbo that made my stop engine lite come on,should have only 25 psi boost power mine was going up to 27 psi and flacuating back and forth
the fiis is the sensor valve located on left top of engine takes 10 minutes to change and costs $150.oo
when testing boost power you have to be driving the unit from speeds from 50 mph to 75 mph with a tech on a laptop manoriting the psi .my guy also installed a guage in manifold to watch the psi to be sure the guage and laotop give same reading and also make sure your air and fuel filter is good.the new sensor operates a gate valve to control psi.
I know what i'm talking about check this first before getting hit with expensive parts or a huge labour bill.
good luck
chip Winnipeg manitoba
Old 09-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #26

just repaired mine on my c7 it was over boosting through turbo and turned on engine lite.boost should be 25 psi no more.changed sensor that operates valve for the boost .the sensor is on top left side of engine takes 10 minutes to change and costs $150.00
if you need more info email me rolandh@mts.net
Old 09-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #27

Wondering why you posted your solution 5 times in this thread?

Tags
check engine light