Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #1

False Check Engine light on C7??

Ok so the check engine light came on the other day. No change in engine performance. The code is:
"Fuel DLV Pressr SPN 94 CM 0
Voltage Short or Above Normal Rng
FMI 3 OC 127"

So I got on the diesel forum on Reddit and was told the code was most likely for a bad pressure sensor. Then someone asked me for the serial # to the engine and said he could check to see if it was on a list of engines that may not have the pressure sensor. He came back and said it was not on the list, so it most likely did have the sensor. I was told if the sensor is present, there would be a wire going to the fuel pressure relief valve and that if I unplugged it the code should change to out of range. My engine does not have a wire going to the relief valve, so no sensor. So now this guy is telling me it is just a false light and that the dealer should just clear the code and reset the parameters so it doesnt happen again.

Anyone have the experience before? Can there be a "false light"? If there is a false light, what would trigger it?

The Reddit thread can be found here: Cat C7 Check engine light and fuel code. : Diesel

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #2

I had a code trigger on my c9 indicating something similar. My engine did not come with that sensor and the ECU had to have a parameter set to indicate that. For some reason the parameter was set to sensor=yes for some reason. Perhaps a similar situation.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #3

My 2005 C7 fuel pressure sensor is on the cylinder head, threaded into a 90 degree elbow in the fuel galley next to the pressure regulator. intake manifold side rear corner (towards front of motorhome).
Old 08-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Time View Post
My 2005 C7 fuel pressure sensor is on the cylinder head, threaded into a 90 degree elbow in the fuel galley next to the pressure regulator. intake manifold side rear corner (towards front of motorhome).
You mean here?

Old 08-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #5

Well no, that is the pressure regulator. My pressure sensor is in the port that is about 2 inches left of the tip of your pointer. Looks like the engine in the picture has a plug in the port.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #6

I found a pic from my engine disassembly. The pressure sensor was on the 90 degree fitting with the blue cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	039.jpg
Views:	3025
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	71089  
Old 08-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #7

That photo is very helpful. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #8

Like I said, my C9 did NOT come with that sensor, but my ECU was configured for one so it threw CEL's for an out of range condition. A CAT tech had to disable that function in the ECU.

Chris
Old 08-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Like I said, my C9 did NOT come with that sensor, but my ECU was configured for one so it threw CEL's for an out of range condition. A CAT tech had to disable that function in the ECU.

Chris
I am going to try an stick my head up there again tonight. I am not sure I will be able to see the location of where the sensor might be. Your not the first person to tell me they had to get their ECU set right for not having a sensor.

I am going to CAT in the morning anyway.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #10

Well, this is where things get funny. CAT has a TSB for this to prevent unwarranted diagnosis. The Kenworth shop I went to doesn't read TSB's apparently and spent 5 hours diagnosing this CEL, and even ORDERED A REPLACEMENT SENSOR. Then a good CAT tech jumped in, did a facepalm, and spent the 10 minutes to update the ECU.

The service writer was almost too embarrassed to explain, and obviously didn't charge me for any unwarranted labor.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightguy View Post
I am going to try an stick my head up there again tonight. I am not sure I will be able to see the location of where the sensor might be. Your not the first person to tell me they had to get their ECU set right for not having a sensor.

I am going to CAT in the morning anyway.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #11

I am afraid of that. That is why I want to see the sensor myself to verify whether or not it is really there.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #12

Just crawled under there again and really got up pretty close. I do not have anything in the port. It is plugged just like in photo of the CAT C7 I posted. Under that there is a ground cable. So I am thinking now that I do not have one.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #13

Sounds great. Mine was a C9 but perhaps the same, certainly same vintage. I would lead the technician in the right direction with your knowledge to prevent unwarranted time spent!

Chris
Old 08-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #14

Big 10~4 to that!

Tags
check engine light