Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
BGR

Fuel filter change interval

We recently purchased a new to us 03 Itasca Horizon with a Cat 3126/Freightliner. The rig only has 25K on it, but it has a sketchy maintenance history with little records so I'm doing whatever makes sense to start the clock over on things.

One thing I'm not sure about is the fuel filter. I believe it has a single filter in front of the radiator, an Alliance ABP-32FRT03 which I'm guessing is original. If there's another filter I can't find it.

What is the recommended change interval for this filter? I would think 25K is below the replacement interval, but it is a 10 yr old rig and like I said, I don't know the full history. Would it make more sense just to carry a spare?

Also, I thought this filter/water separator would have clear bowl on the bottom, but mine looks dark. What's the proper procedure for examining the water level in it and emptying it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 03:06 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Similar chassis......my coach has two fuel filters, one small one on the top front of the engine next to the prime pump (access by raising the bed) and the main large one in the 2nd bay from the rear, drivers's side. The black thing on the main filter bottom is the water drain knob. Manual says to check for water after each tank of fuel....open the drain, drain a little, catch in a container, check for water....drain until no water, just fuel. Close drain. So far, I've had very little water. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
We recently purchased a new to us 03 Itasca Horizon with a Cat 3126/Freightliner. The rig only has 25K on it, but it has a sketchy maintenance history with little records so I'm doing whatever makes sense to start the clock over on things.

One thing I'm not sure about is the fuel filter. I believe it has a single filter in front of the radiator, an Alliance ABP-32FRT03 which I'm guessing is original. If there's another filter I can't find it.

What is the recommended change interval for this filter? I would think 25K is below the replacement interval, but it is a 10 yr old rig and like I said, I don't know the full history. Would it make more sense just to carry a spare?

Also, I thought this filter/water separator would have clear bowl on the bottom, but mine looks dark. What's the proper procedure for examining the water level in it and emptying it?
The fuel filter needs to be a 2 to 4 micron absolute rated and changed every 10,000 miles or 1000 gallons of fuel used.
Unless you get some bad fuel then it will need changing early.
For information: a absolute rated filter is not the same as a normal rated
filter.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #4

Just my opinion so,take it for what it's worth. With sketchy maintenance records I would take to to Freightliner for a complete check, change, and adjust. All filters, brakes, ride height, oil and coolant test to make sure engine is ok, lube, wheel alignment, etc. Yes it's going to cost a bit but you will now know the status of you coach and begin a regularly scheduled maintenance. Some times peace of mind is worth the cost. This will also help should you decide to sell at some later time.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Doing a re-boot of all maintenance is a good idea. I am on my 3rd used DP and have done that on them. I change my fuel filter every second oil change. I don't put enough fuel through it to do it on a fuel used basis. That may be overkill but it is peace of mind at a cheap price.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
As suggested a bumper to bumper inspection and all fluids and filters so you have
a base line to work from.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #7

Quote:
BGR
My 3126 Cat uses 2 fuel filters.
I change them at every oil change, (every 8-10,000 miles).
Because a bad tank of diesel, which I have read could possibly ruin my day, I've always carried spare filters, (but have never needed them).
Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
BGR

Great advice all, thanks. I like the idea of a bumper-to-bumper inspection. I'm trying to do some of the work to offset costs and I've already serviced the cooling system (had to replace the cracked surge tank), oil change and air filter. Fuel filters are next. The rest I'll let a shop do.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Great advice all, thanks. I like the idea of a bumper-to-bumper inspection. I'm trying to do some of the work to offset costs and I've already serviced the cooling system (had to replace the cracked surge tank), oil change and air filter. Fuel filters are next. The rest I'll let a shop do.
BGR
In time you will realize that no one cares about your coach, (or does as good work on it, or inspects it as thoroughly), as you.
Mel
'96 Safari, (mine for 14 years)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
My 2004 has only one filter and it is the one you have. I change it at about 5000 miles which may be to often. The bowl should not be dark. You probably should do as others suggest and do a full service including transmission.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel