Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 06:20 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Fuel Filter Removal

I have an ‘02 Tiffin Phaeton with a CAT 330 model 3126. It has a single fuel filter/water separator filter. I haven’t been able to start my rig as I let it sit for about 2 months and it lost its prime. The filter is stuck fast. I’m told to remove the fuel filter and refill with diesel and attempt to start it. Problem is the only access to the filter is from underneath the RV. I have tried every imaginable filter wrench (I have 5 different ones)and either there’s not enough room for some or they won’t grip the smooth exterior of the filter. Anyway I’m trying to avoid calling out a mobil RV service to get me going. So any ideas would be appreciated.
Jimbob1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #2

Out of the 5 filter wrenches you have, do you happen to have this kind? This is best wrench I've ever owned.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully this reply will advance you to the main forum page and get you some more help.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Out of the 5 filter wrenches you have, do you happen to have this kind? This is best wrench I've ever owned.

Hopefully this reply will advance you to the main forum page and get you some more help.

That one works the best for me also, it’s my go to wrench for everything.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post

Unfortunately that’s the only one I could get a grip with but the filter still wouldn’t budge. But I appreciate your response.
Jimbob1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #5

Get this, its what mechanics use. A long extension gives it long reach.

Make sure you get the correct size.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/KD-Tools-Auto...xoC0gkQAvD_BwE

Name:   50164843lg.jpeg
Views: 352
Size:  5.5 KB
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:43 PM   #6

Try this one: https://www.amazon.com/Tools-3149-Ny...s=strap+wrench Available at any auto supply store and will take a 1/2" breaker bar with a pipe on it. On REALLY secure filters it'll crush the filter, but the filter comes off. Fits all size filters. Been using the same wrench for about 15 years on RV's, cars, trucks, mowers, combines, tractors, and any other machine that has any filter. Never failed.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob1947 View Post
Unfortunately that’s the only one I could get a grip with but the filter still wouldn’t budge. But I appreciate your response.

Sounds like the Cummins gorilla did your last filter...this will sound wierd but did you rotate the tool 180* on its axis? Might be able to get a better bite.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:32 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
A second vote for the one twinboat pictured. It allows you to work in tight places. Use a long extension and ratchet and you can remove any filter
Old 01-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #9

Pigman1 has the right approach. Use a strap wrench with a long extension on it. Attach the extension to a 1/2 inch breaker bar. At the end of the breaker bar, slide a 3 foot piece of pipe to give you the leverage needed. NOTE: The strap should be placed at the end of the filter (opposite of screw end), which is the most rigid portion of it. I had the same problem trying to remove the filter in the air dryer. A fellow RVer on a post suggested this method which worked

Regards
Dutch Master
2008 Newmar Kountry Star
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post
Pigman1 has the right approach. Use a strap wrench with a long extension on it. Attach the extension to a 1/2 inch breaker bar. At the end of the breaker bar, slide a 3 foot piece of pipe to give you the leverage needed. NOTE: The strap should be placed at the end of the filter (opposite of screw end), which is the most rigid portion of it. I had the same problem trying to remove the filter in the air dryer. A fellow RVer on a post suggested this method which worked

Regards
Dutch Master
2008 Newmar Kountry Star
That's what I use. they work especially well when working from underneath.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:54 AM   #11

I have the big strap wrench and it will not fail. Better have a new filter because if the old one is seized too much it will crush it.

You can also remove the lines from the base and unbolt the base from the chassis in order to take the whole assembly to the work bench. In extreme cases.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I don't have a solution to the filter problem but noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #13

Sometimes there can be a vacuum in the filter making it stick even tighter , given you have tried starting several times

Poke a small hole in the filter to eliminate that

I have both the strap and band wrenches, both are good and if a lot of room then the filter wrench first

You will most likely crush the filter so grip it close to the top
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #14

Our Dutch Star also has a CAT 3126 330hp, with the HEUI electronic controlled injection system. We have two fuel filters, a prefilter with the water separator, plastic bottom cup and water drain valve in the bottom of the cup. We also have a "fine" filter (as I recall 2 micron rated) and the filter base has a manual priming pump. The advise I was given was to NOT prefill either filter and to use the manual priming pump to draw fuel into both filters and purge the air from the fuel system which achieved when the plunger on the priming pump becomes much more difficult to push in. The HEUI system has NO tolerance for any "stuff" in the fuel.
railtrailers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, removal