Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2019, 04:16 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Fuel Filters

Not a new subject, and I thought I knew exactly what fuel filter was specified for my '04 Caterpillar 3126E engine in a Freightliner chassis. The coach was delivered new directly from Winnebago with an Alliance 32FRT03 fuel filter, and I have been using that, along with a CAT 1R-1807 oil filter purchased from the local Freightliner (now Velocity Truck Center) service center since new. Early on (Oct 2003) I was assured that the following filters offered 02 micron filtration: CAT Fuel Filter 198-6378, Alliance 32FRT03, and Fleetguard FF5319, however I always used the Alliance filter - until recently it was more convenient to purchase the oil & fuel filters from CAT.

Just to make sure, I asked the counter man to ascertain to me that the 198-6378 filter was a 2 micron filter. After spending some time on the CAT web site, he stated the filter was rated at 10 microns. Back to Freightliner and purchased the Alliance filter. Opinions anyone?
Modify message
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
DJJ

NAPA 3783 is a 2 micron filter that is the cross references if that is more convenient. NAPA must be proud of the filter as the last one I bought was $50.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:43 PM   #3
Cat

1986378 is the filter portion of a water filter separator. So yes it is a 10micron that is why you need a 2 micron secondary fuel filter. None of CATERPILLAR water separators are less than 10 micron unless you are talking about some of the Perkins application. I'm not sure what chassis manufactures offer. But this is how some people mess up and get the wrong filters. Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedT View Post
Not a new subject, and I thought I knew exactly what fuel filter was specified for my '04 Caterpillar 3126E engine in a Freightliner chassis. The coach was delivered new directly from Winnebago with an Alliance 32FRT03 fuel filter, and I have been using that, along with a CAT 1R-1807 oil filter purchased from the local Freightliner (now Velocity Truck Center) service center since new. Early on (Oct 2003) I was assured that the following filters offered 02 micron filtration: CAT Fuel Filter 198-6378, Alliance 32FRT03, and Fleetguard FF5319, however I always used the Alliance filter - until recently it was more convenient to purchase the oil & fuel filters from CAT.

Just to make sure, I asked the counter man to ascertain to me that the 198-6378 filter was a 2 micron filter. After spending some time on the CAT web site, he stated the filter was rated at 10 microns. Back to Freightliner and purchased the Alliance filter. Opinions anyone?
Modify message

Well Sir,
First and foremost, while I don't want to seem to make you feel like you don't know what you have but, are you DEAD SURE you have a 3136E in your "2004" Meridian? The main reason I ask is, our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the "C-7", 330HP CAT. The chassis production date is Oct of '03 and coach build date is Nov of '03 and date first sold and operated is '01 of '04.

Now, I know there was some overflow and cross building of 3126 chassis's and C-7 chassis's for very close production line Winnies and Itascas but, I just thought I'd ask to make sure that YOU'RE SURE that you have a 3126 and not a C-7.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:18 AM   #5
DJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
1986378 is the filter portion of a water filter separator. So yes it is a 10micron that is why you need a 2 micron secondary fuel filter. None of CATERPILLAR water separators are less than 10 micron unless you are talking about some of the Perkins application. I'm not sure what chassis manufactures offer. But this is how some people mess up and get the wrong filters. Safe Travels

So readers are clear, the OP, mine, Scott's and many others came from Freightliner with only one fuel filter installed. Because Caterpillar does not make a 2 micron fuel/water separator filter an Alliance filter or NAPA or some other brand has to be used. We can not use Caterpillar fuel filters on theses single filter configurations.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:20 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
First and foremost, while I don't want to seem to make you feel like you don't know what you have but, are you DEAD SURE you have a 3136E in your "2004" Meridian?
Scott
Well Sir, when delivered 129K miles ago in October 2003, the installed engine was a Caterpillar 3126E. I seriously doubt it has changed, since I have personally driven those 129,000 miles. (not a 3136E)
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #7
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
So readers are clear, the OP, mine, Scott's and many others came from Freightliner with only one fuel filter installed. Because Caterpillar does not make a 2 micron fuel/water separator filter an Alliance filter or NAPA or some other brand has to be used. We can not use Caterpillar fuel filters on theses single filter configurations.

Jeff
Thank you for the additional information. But this is why it is so easy to get the wrong filter. Because you can get Alliance or Napa or Cat filters that fit but they are the wrong filtration. Add to the fact that some Freightliner and others chassis have two filters a primary water separator and a secondary and you have recipe for failure. Because in the parts people have no clue how the chassis was set up. You could end up with 2- 2 micron filters and that creates to much suction restriction or 2 10 micron filers and that won't protect your injectors so Be careful when getting filters. Safe travels
Old 10-26-2019, 11:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedT View Post
Well Sir, when delivered 129K miles ago in October 2003, the installed engine was a Caterpillar 3126E. I seriously doubt it has changed, since I have personally driven those 129,000 miles. (not a 3136E)
Ahhhh,
“When delivered in Oct of ‘03.....”
That’s the answer here Sir. If your coach was DELIVERED to you in Oct, that means the chassis was built way prior to that date which means, your chassis was among the last few Freightliners with the 3126 (sorry about the “36”, fat finger error). Thanks for the answer.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:58 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
What is wrong with using the engine serial number to order the part. Get the Cat number for their filter and if you want something else get the number cross reference.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:35 PM   #10
Cat

Part of the reason you can't just use the engine serial number because of what the chassis manufacturers installed. Cat serial number won't reflect that. Also the engine serial is part of how the engine was shipped. The other part you need is the engine arrangement number. If you have those two serial number and arrangement then you know how the engine left the Caterpillar factory- but not is on the chassis. Safe Travels
Old 10-28-2019, 08:54 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Part of the reason you can't just use the engine serial number because of what the chassis manufacturers installed. Cat serial number won't reflect that. Also the engine serial is part of how the engine was shipped. The other part you need is the engine arrangement number. If you have those two serial number and arrangement then you know how the engine left the Caterpillar factory- but not is on the chassis. Safe Travels
I was not aware that the chassis people would be changing the fuel filters?
Old 10-28-2019, 10:00 PM   #12
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
I was not aware that the chassis people would be changing the fuel filters?
Haha. Funny No chassis people probably won't change filters. But the chassis manufacturers are the ones that order the engines. They- the chassis manufacturers-- also order how and what those engines will be equipped with. From alternators to fan drives and what filters they want on the engine when they leave the engine manufacturers. That's what the engine serial number and arrangement number tell you-- how it left the engine manufacturer. And since most will fit part suppliers have no way to break down Caterpillar serial and arrangement numbers it is a guess for them. The Vin will tell them more if they can break those down. Most people go in with what they took off and thats ok as long as nobody put the wrong ones on before. Just be aware and get the right one and you get all of them.High pressure fuel injectors on any diesel engine will not last long with the wrong filters. Safe Travels
Old 11-02-2019, 05:31 AM   #13

Quote:
I have a 3126E in my 2001, with two filters. I wonder if the secondary filter (not the water separator) is a 2 micron this is the NAPA and Cat numbers NAPA 3626 (CAT 1R-0751
Old 11-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #14
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
I have a 3126E in my 2001, with two filters. I wonder if the secondary filter (not the water separator) is a 2 micron this is the NAPA and Cat numbers NAPA 3626 (CAT 1R-0751
The 1R0751 is a 2 micron filter. I did double check it. Safe Travels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1r0751 filter rating.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	265645  

Tags
fuel