Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fuel Problem?

Yesterday coming home from a trip, we were rolling along I-5 and as we were climbing a hill, the MH kinda surged a couple of times and then caught hold again. As we rolled over the top of the hill, the check engine light flashed once and gave a 164 -2 code and then it disappeared, never to be seen again. As we were going down the hill, it coughed a couple of times and then smoothed out, then just started slowing down. Luckily, we were right at milepost 57 on the 5 in Washington and it coasted almost 1/2 way up the off ramp and off onto the shoulder. Totally dead engine. Oh, and it's a lot of fun trying to steer one of these 40' things with no power. Cranked a couple of times and stopped because I didn't want to empty the filters. Called Good Sam and got a fuel truck inside of an hour, truck stop was right across the freeway. Put five gallons in and no go,checked all the filters and still no go. Pulled the air filter and bombed it and she started right up. Ran it for about 5 minutes with no problem, put it in gear to go to the truck stop and she died, never to start again.
Now... I was down below 1/4 of a tank and stopped at the Safeway in The Dalles and bought 25 gals and then saw that it said B20 and had him stop pumping. 130 miles later, I supposidly ran out of gas, even tho my gauge said a bit over 1/4. I'm thinking that the B-20 stirred up enuff crud in the tank and lines that I have a plugged fuel line?
I fill the tank after every trip and we take at least one decent distance trip every month, so it doesn't just sit there.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Any Overheating? Thats happened when the engine overheat , or fuel pump pressure is low
Jacobnino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #3

I'd think if the B20 allowed the fuel to stir up the crud your fuel filter would be clogged. Any idea what a 164 code is? I'd suggest you stop by a CAT shop and have them hook up the laptop and run diagnostics, If the problem is something serious like a heui pump you'll want that repaired/replaced before it comes apart and destroys injectors. Hopefully something simple.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update:
Drove down on Monday morning and they pulled both fuel filters and replaced them and they were full and clean. Put new ones on and tried to start it and no go. He bombed it and she started right up and ran for five minutes with no problems. I had it at 900 on fast idle and ran it up to 2,000 a couple of times. Shut her off and then restarted it with no problem, put it in gear to drive to the fuel pumps and she died and wouldn't restart. He bombed it again and started right up. We let it fast idle at 900 till engine temp was full up to 192, ran it up a couple of more times, put it in gear and died.
This time she threw a 231-9-0 code so I called CAT help and he couldn't find the 9, but said the 231 indicated a possible IAPC problem or HEUI. Called the tow truck and she's at Peterson CAT in Longview awaiting a complete diagnosis.
Anything less than a HEUI and she's getting fixed, anything more and she's getting a new engine.
For those of you who live around here, the the guys shop at Gee Cee's are great. You can just about drive right in and get a LOF right away and one of the truckers there said it cost him $250, which is less than I've ever paid and had to wait for an apppointment to get in. Easy in and out and the food was awesome and more than I could eat. Also, Clark's towing out of Longview was great and worked with me. Good Sam couldn't get anyone for me, but told me to call the WSP and they got me on the line right away and we worked it out. Not a problem with Good Sam, just everyone was busy.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #5

Heui replacement on mine was just under $3,000. A few years ago I had the heui replaced along with six injectors and that was over $6K but had a program that paid for most of the amount. Hope it goes good for youi.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:07 PM   #6

Same problem, and i could use some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Update:
Drove down on Monday morning and they pulled both fuel filters and replaced them and they were full and clean. Put new ones on and tried to start it and no go. He bombed it and she started right up and ran for five minutes with no problems. I had it at 900 on fast idle and ran it up to 2,000 a couple of times. Shut her off and then restarted it with no problem, put it in gear to drive to the fuel pumps and she died and wouldn't restart. He bombed it again and started right up. We let it fast idle at 900 till engine temp was full up to 192, ran it up a couple of more times, put it in gear and died.
This time she threw a 231-9-0 code so I called CAT help and he couldn't find the 9, but said the 231 indicated a possible IAPC problem or HEUI. Called the tow truck and she's at Peterson CAT in Longview awaiting a complete diagnosis.
Anything less than a HEUI and she's getting fixed, anything more and she's getting a new engine.
For those of you who live around here, the the guys shop at Gee Cee's are great. You can just about drive right in and get a LOF right away and one of the truckers there said it cost him $250, which is less than I've ever paid and had to wait for an apppointment to get in. Easy in and out and the food was awesome and more than I could eat. Also, Clark's towing out of Longview was great and worked with me. Good Sam couldn't get anyone for me, but told me to call the WSP and they got me on the line right away and we worked it out. Not a problem with Good Sam, just everyone was busy.
I have a 97 Holiday Rambler with the Cat 3126 and i believe i'm having the same issue. My MH is stuck in MD and has been for the last 2 1/2 months. The diesel guys are stumped on what the issue is. Starts with starting fluid and runs until you stop spraying, they say they can't hear the injectors opening, they replaced the high pressure oil pump, didn't make a difference, there are no codes and the laptop says everything is doing what its supposed to, but it won't run and these guys are stumped, can anybody send me some suggestions for these guys.
jackminnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:34 AM   #7

Tell them to pull the valve cover and watch for the high pressure oil leaking from under a rocker arm mount.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am supposed to pick up the MH next week from the CAT shop and we'll see how well it runs.
Their diagnosis was a bit different from the other CAT shop I took it to in as much as they couldn't find a dead cylinder. They are doing the whole bit with the HEUI pump, injectors and seals, valve adjustment and something else. They seem to think that I'll have a well running rig after this and they're supposed to keep it under $5K.
I'll be driving it 30 miles down to Portland and that's pretty level and then 180 miles back home and that has several pretty stiff grades. So we'll see.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Update:
For those of us new to diesels, explain "He bombed it." And I'm sure it's not about terrorists.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
For those of us new to diesels, explain "He bombed it." And I'm sure it's not about terrorists.
My guess is they used Starting Fluid, bad deal. Starting Fluid will dry out the cylinders but makes a big bang.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, got it back and they replaced the IAPC,the HEUI pump,6 injectors and seals,readjusted the valves and replaced the oil and filter and it cost me $5,436 out the door. They told me that they could do it for about $5,000 and they did. He said that it took some fideling around with the labor cost and some parts, but they kept it at what the estimate was. The extra amount was sales tax.
So, she starts really well and doesn't lope on cold idle,she has better acceleration,runs down the road easily,even towing my 4600# Jeep Liberty and seems to be able to climb hills without over heating.
There are several 4-5% climbs northbound on I-5 from Portland,several of which are two or more miles long. The only place she got up to about 210 was after the climb out of the Cowlitz,which has no downhill,just a gradual uphill of about 3 miles till another two mile 4-5% and it was dry and about 70 degrees.
I'm happy with the job and they said that I could sell it if I wanted to with a clear mind.
That was Peterson CAT in Longview and the other folks that I felt good about was the service garage at Gee Cee's Truck stop at milepost 57 and of course the very competent guys at Carl's towing. Oh, and the food at Gee Cee's is excellent.

Tags
fuel