Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #1

Fuel spraying from top rear of 3126

I must have leaned on this line while greasing my fan hub bearing. It hasn't been run since I did that. I don't have it apart yet, but it looks like the fuel is spraying from where the steel line enters a block type fitting bolted to the head? It appears to be under a lot of pressure so I'm assuming this is the line feeding the injectors? The connection in question is directly to the rear of the valve cover. Could the line have rusted out? Common deal? Looks like it's 3/8 steel line, and I can't tell if it's welded to the fitting or what. Just like the grease fitting, limited access to the area.

Will take it apart to learn more ASAP. No huge hurry. Not going anywhere soon.

Trouble seems to be running in 3's here. At least I hope there are no more than that. This is getting frustrating! I noticed 90wt running from a front hub the other day. Ordered the kit to repair that and installed it without incident yesterday. A few days later I happened to spot a large red puddle under the coach in the area of the transmission. Checking it out, the MD 3060 is set up for a dipstick tube on either side of the transmission. The side that isn't used on mine had a mickey mouse plug installed that is impossible to tighten. It appears to have started leaking (big time!) right out of the blue, but more likely with the change in weather to cooler temps. Common problem I hear. Now there's a newer style plug to replace it. Ordered and installed that today. I was warming the engine up to take the coach out for a spin to warm the tranny fluid to allow that to be checked accurately. That's when I spotted this fuel waterfall running from the back of the engine! All this and the coach hasn't moved 6' in the last 30 days!

Will update when I learn more. Meanwhile, if anyone has anything to share regarding this it would be appreciated. Thanks, -Al
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Sounds like you and I have the same engine and transmission. Would you please send me the part number to the that new style plug.

I installed a line from the grease fitting at the fan down and under the radiator so I do not have to climb on to the engine anymore to grease that darn thing. I just have to climb under the coach to grease it now.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
Would you please send me the part number to the that new style plug.
Sure!
29530328 plug
29507823 seal

Together they were about 20.00
Old 12-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I must have leaned on this line while greasing my fan hub bearing. It hasn't been run since I did that. I don't have it apart yet, but it looks like the fuel is spraying from where the steel line enters a block type fitting bolted to the head? It appears to be under a lot of pressure so I'm assuming this is the line feeding the injectors? The connection in question is directly to the rear of the valve cover. Could the line have rusted out? Common deal? Looks like it's 3/8 steel line, and I can't tell if it's welded to the fitting or what. Just like the grease fitting, limited access to the area.

Will take it apart to learn more ASAP. No huge hurry. Not going anywhere soon.

Trouble seems to be running in 3's here. At least I hope there are no more than that. This is getting frustrating! I noticed 90wt running from a front hub the other day. Ordered the kit to repair that and installed it without incident yesterday. A few days later I happened to spot a large red puddle under the coach in the area of the transmission. Checking it out, the MD 3060 is set up for a dipstick tube on either side of the transmission. The side that isn't used on mine had a mickey mouse plug installed that is impossible to tighten. It appears to have started leaking (big time!) right out of the blue, but more likely with the change in weather to cooler temps. Common problem I hear. Now there's a newer style plug to replace it. Ordered and installed that today. I was warming the engine up to take the coach out for a spin to warm the tranny fluid to allow that to be checked accurately. That's when I spotted this fuel waterfall running from the back of the engine! All this and the coach hasn't moved 6' in the last 30 days!

Will update when I learn more. Meanwhile, if anyone has anything to share regarding this it would be appreciated. Thanks, -Al
what motor is it it sounds like the high pressure return line to me
gene17847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene17847 View Post
what motor is it it sounds like the high pressure return line to me
I had mentioned 3126 in the topic? Sorry, didn't think to repeat that in the body of the note. 1996, engine serial# 1WM 05678

Regarding the lines purpose, no clue. All I know for sure at this point is it's carrying pressurized fuel. It runs from the top of the head at the rear of the valve cover forward along the side the passenger side of the valve cover, then goes down and terminates at the front of whatever the device is under the slobber tube connection on the side of the block.

Obviously, I lack much knowledge of this engine. I've tried to find illustrations online that might allow me to convey what I'm talking about better, maybe even allow looking the part number myself, but I've come up with a complete blank so far. Any help there appreciated as well. Thanks, -Al
Old 12-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
I have something that might help but I do not know how to get it from my Desk Top to here. If you would PM me your email address then I will forward it to you.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
I have something that might help but I do not know how to get it from my Desk Top to here. If you would PM me your email address then I will forward it to you.
PM sent. Thanks much! -Al
Old 12-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
PM sent. Thanks much! -Al
OK it is on its way. Sure hopes it will help. Please let me know.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #9

After a lot of online searching came up empty, I resigned myself to the mercy of the guys behind the parts counter at a local Cat dealer. I called, and after supplying him with the engine serial number the parts tech had the part identified within just a couple of minutes, literally. He even emailed me a copy of the page in the parts book to verify which fuel line I needed from a diagram prior to ordering. It took me longer than that to get cleaned up after removing the line! Part in hand 48 hours later. 87.00 with new O'rings for each end and tax.

Lesson learned, these guys are on top of their game. A total contrast to my normal experience dealing with counter people. (Reefer Peterbuilt, Auburn Hills, MI)
Old 12-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
GOOD NEWS!!!!!!

Tags
fuel