Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #1

HEUI pump oil line upgrade from rubber style line

I am trying to get the part number or reference # for the replacement high pressure line for the HEUI pump. My cat dealer says the line has been replaced on mine, but my line is still a black rubbery style line with small hairline cracks in it. I have tried to explain the new line, but they say that it is the new line and a new replacement line will be exactly like that one, a black rubber style line. Does anyone have a part number or reference?
kmb1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2019, 12:11 PM   #2

I did this upgrade a couple of years ago. The kit I used was Cat. #240-0717, it was about $130.00 out the door. It was an easy repair once I cleared all the wire harness mess out of the way.
The flexible high pressure oil line I replaced wasn’t leaking but it had many cracks, it wasn’t if...it was when it would go.
Here’s before and after pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E42FD722-F416-4ADB-8E0E-57DF4E9613DC.jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	244046   Click image for larger version

Name:	4101752B-E6DC-4890-AAF7-1F5D6B5767D1.jpg
Views:	944
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	244047  

JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:24 PM   #3

I suggest you go to ifskit.com and take a look .
This kit will replace the steel line and or the rubber line you now have. It is expensive but will protect your injectors an fluid rail line if your Huei pump blows. Not common but expensive when it does.
Check on the caterpillar site and check it out. The company selling this kit are great to deal with. Just finished my install last week.
Busyguy
busyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyguy View Post
I suggest you go to ifskit.com and take a look .
This kit will replace the steel line and or the rubber line you now have. It is expensive but will protect your injectors an fluid rail line if your Huei pump blows. Not common but expensive when it does.
Check on the caterpillar site and check it out. The company selling this kit are great to deal with. Just finished my install last week.
Busyguy
I agree, but my CAT dealer won't install it and I can't figure out how to get my hands or tools in there to change that line. How do you access this line? I barely can get my hand back there to take a picture with my iphone. Is there some sort of access from the rear closet of the motorhome to access the area??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	current heui pump rotated.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	244052  
Old 04-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaminSamin View Post
I did this upgrade a couple of years ago. The kit I used was Cat. #240-0717, it was about $130.00 out the door. It was an easy repair once I cleared all the wire harness mess out of the way.
The flexible high pressure oil line I replaced wasn’t leaking but it had many cracks, it wasn’t if...it was when it would go.
Here’s before and after pictures.
Thanks. My hose is not leaking but has visible cracks. How do you get in there to change this line?? I can barely get my hands in there to take a picture of it with my iphone. I can't see how I would be able to change it with tools.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb1966 View Post
Thanks. My hose is not leaking but has visible cracks. How do you get in there to change this line?? I can barely get my hands in there to take a picture of it with my iphone. I can't see how I would be able to change it with tools.
kmb1966, as you can see in the pictures; yours and JaminSamin's; there are some changes in plumbing from the HEUI pump , in different years.
My 99 , 3126B is different again ,.
The tag on my tube , reads 2413782 ,lot# 166837 and the metal tube was on the engine when I bought the coach over 8 years ago.
I had the tube off the engine several times , because an " O " ring in the 45 degree fitting on the back of the pump failed 3 times.
Luckily my coach doesn't have a bedroom slide and access to the top of the motor is quick and somewhat easy.
From your photo , it appears that the excess oil dump plumbing; return from the HEUI to the pan ; will need to be removed to get close to the lower fitting , I'll pull down your photo from the post and mark it for clarity.
Here's a photo of my tube and fitting with broken "O" ring .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0235 (640x360).jpg
Views:	600
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	244068  
Old 04-29-2019, 05:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Luckily my Horizon has two access covers under the bed and when they are removed I have a clear view of the engine from the top. To get at the lower hose connection and fittings you need to remove the Injection actuation pressure control valve (I circled the IAP in the picture), once removed you have enough room to remove the hose and fittings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	76220316-FED1-4F7F-A0C6-B2BE136667E6.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	244071  
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:11 PM   #8

OK ; downloading and blowing up your photo shows that the replacement tube may require fittings at the HEUI pump and the head, be installed to complete the change over.

In this marked up photo .
The red arrows indicate connections on the excess oil dump plumbing that will have to be removed to allow more room to work on the hose.
Green arrow the return to pan tube ; once the fitting is loose this tube may have enough movement towards the side of the block that disconnecting it at the bottom won't be required.
Blue arrow , is a tinerman nut that holds the electric solenoid section, of the IAPC valve , to the metal shaft that contains the valve it's self.
IAPC ( Injector Activation Pressure Control ) once the electric solenoid is removed the area of the lower fitting of the hose is way more accessible .

EDIT: It's been three years since , I had to replace the " O " ,a new fitting cured the problem , if I think of any other info that would make your life easier I'll re-post . Or you can PM me for more info .

RE-EDIT; I see JaminSamin , has posted while I was away typing , I wish my engine was as clean as his.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1966s heui pump.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	244073  
Old 04-29-2019, 07:50 PM   #9
Cat

Caterpillar had some problems with the steel line cracking, and went to hoses on several HEUI engines. Some of the failed steel lines were caused by slight misalignment problems, some were caused by vibrations. So be careful about going to a steel line. Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Caterpillar had some problems with the steel line cracking, and went to hoses on several HEUI engines. Some of the failed steel lines were caused by slight misalignment problems, some were caused by vibrations. So be careful about going to a steel line. Safe Travels
Vibrations may be the reason that SaminJamin's kit has a clamp half way along , that my much older tube doesn't.
I see a project coming on.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:49 AM   #11

Steel tubing can be an issue when subject to vibration or as member Cat stated, misalignment of the original tubing. Anytime a design has a "Hanging Branch" or "T" connection as shown above, the tubing is subject to harmonics and if not properly secured can and will most likely fail over time. The connection points for the most part are FFS (flat face seal).

Regarding hoses, most towns have "Parker Stores" that can provide custom built hoses to fit almost anything you may have. 100R2 rated hose, in 3/8" diameter for example, is rated for 5,800 psi or> (22,000 psi 4:1 safety factor) and have a sustained operating temperature rating of 215F. For safety concerns, ALWAYS have a "Burst Sleeve" installed on any hose in or around an engine that will have oil's involved. A burst sleeve is an additional sleeve around the hydraulic hose that in the event of a hose failure will contain and diffuse any spray from pin holes, cracks or complete socket to hose failure. The burst sleeve will eliminate any possible fire due to hot oil spraying on an exhaust system, turbo.......
Hope this helps!
Old 05-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #12

Ouch.... shop quoted 18 hours to install new hose

My Freightliner dealer quoted 18 hours to install the replacement HEUI pump hose. Ouch.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #13

Quote:
My Freightliner dealer quoted 18 hours to install the replacement HEUI pump hose. Ouch.
AND; the last Freightliner dealer I was at wanted + $40 an hour for motorhomes over trucks. DOUBLE OUCH.

kmb1966 , where are you ; city state ; for a small portion of what they quoted I might be able to stop by and do the change over . I work for beer .
Old 05-02-2019, 03:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
AND; the last Freightliner dealer I was at wanted + $40 an hour for motorhomes over trucks. DOUBLE OUCH.

kmb1966 , where are you ; city state ; for a small portion of what they quoted I might be able to stop by and do the change over . I work for beer .
I'm definitely searching for someone to install an upgraded line on my pump. I'm in Lake Charles, LA. So far only a CAT shop in Beaumont,TX has agreed to install a new line and they quoted 18 hours. There is a local CAT dealer here, but they have not quoted the job yet. Been waiting for 4 days to hear from them. Having the new IFS kit would be great but if takes 18 hours of labor @ 150.00/per hour to install (same as a new line) then it is not very cost effective at all. That's about the same as a new HEUI pump replacement and new injector replacement cost. I'm still hunting for a qualified person to do the install.

Tags
upgrade