Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #15

Hi Journey Cat...you have ID’d the correct metal tube that needs to be removed. I do not have a secondary fuel filter, so I might have had easier access. I believe some w/2 fuel filters remove the filter for easier access to the tube.

BTW: I have a Fleetwood Discovery but as other have mentioned, The install may vary slightly, but overall an easy Mod to install.

I also recommend you contact George by email or telephone. He will be GLAD to discuss the install with you....

Best of luck to you!
mrbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #16

Thank you both for confirming . Im on the correct path .. Sooner or later it will pay for itself . Also I feel its good insurance to have one .
I just got over doing a lot of maintence on my coach and its just a matter of how soon Ill get one also .
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:04 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Is there a kit out for the 3126b yet ?
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:51 PM   #18

HEUI pump IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPOHOLIC View Post
Is there a kit out for the 3126b yet ?
My understanding is the IFS kit is generic - designed around the HEUI pump failure issue and associated substantial repair costs
so, if you have a HEUI pump arrangement, you are in luck

Further understand, that George was ‘expanding’ fitment alternatives / opportunities
More info on the IFS kit website - www.ifskit.com

Am sure George / others will be along shortly to expand / confirm or otherwise

(My kit, for a C9, is making its way across the Atlantic, on a very slow boat!!)

Safe travels

Ian S
Exeter UK
Cc Allure 430 - 2005
Cat C9
IanSmith-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:31 AM   #19

Yes. just installed mine on my 3126B cat. Fit perfect and if you have easy access to the pump its an easy install.
George will help you any way he can. Super customer service and great to deal with.
Busyguy
busyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #20

I'm confused here... I've read several CAT service messages and they suggest that a oil filter installed in the HUEI oil supply line will prevent HUEI failure and damage to the injectors...

The new supply line (metal) and oil filter will catch those particles that might damage the HUEI pump.

I found the CAT numbers and had them written down... but now have miss placed them... George do you supply this line and filter as well
Old 04-30-2019, 06:17 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
The CAT filter goes before the HEUI pump and is designed to keep any dirt/junk in the engine oil out of the HEUI pump and hopefully prevent a pump failure due to dirty oil. However the pump can fail for other reasons (like just internal wear) and in that event the pump failure also sends metal into the injectors.

The aftermarket kit talked about here goes after the HEUI pump and only protects the Injectors "after a HEUI pump failure".

The CAT filter is p/n 20R-6642 with a reman HEUI pump,
or a combination of p/n's 503-7470, 503-7469, 503-7460, and 238-5089 if one just wants to add the filter.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:17 AM   #22

CountryB is accurate in his comments.

Here is the real facts and ambiguity of the inline, BEFORE, the HEUI filter.

First, IF the inline before the HEUI is designed to catch particulate to protect the HEUI then WHERE IS THIS PARTICULATE COMING FROM? Where?, somewhere in your engine. IF the inline is catching particulate that could damage your HEUI AFTER going through the ENGINE filter FIRST, then you may have more serious issues with other engine components then what you think.

The ENGINE oil filter is responsible to filter the oil going to the engine and HEUI. If you change your oil and filter between 5-10K then you should NOT witness any particulate going to your HEUI unless something between the ENGINE oil filter and HEUI is producing the particulate. Again, that would be more concerning that something in the engine itself is failing.

Many threads talk about micron ratings, filter capacity and who makes the best engine oil filter. That's all good stuff BUT, bottom line is that adding an additional filter before the HEUI is basically saying one of two things: 1- I really do not have confidence in my engine oil filter. OR 2- something is going wrong in my engine producing damaging particulate supplied to the HEUI.

Let's look at it this way. In your home, if you have a whole house water filter at the supply coming in (engine oil filter) and then you add another filter to your bathroom sink, do you see that logical? I have a whole house filter in my home. I change it on a regular interval and I do not have issues with my sinks! Same comparison as the HEUI inline.

Redundancy is a good thing but in the case of the HEUI inline filter design it is NOT the resolve to very expensive repairs when the HEUI explodes and takes out your injectors.

Lastly, The HEUI can put metal debris in the engine oil in two ways under these failure modes.
1- Failure particulate of the HEUI front gear and or bearing will be dispersed directly into the engine oil under the front case where the HEUI drive gear is driven off the engine drive gear. This oil, with metal particulate, drains to the oil pan and either remains in the pan OR is pulled through the oil pump then through the engine oil filter where it is hopefully separated from the oil.
2- Failure particulate from the HEUI internal pump components is dispersed through the steel tubing then into the common oil rail in the head and then to the injectors. The engine oil filter OR the addition of an inline filter does NOTHING for this condition. You could expect all injectors to fail and also be required to flush the head. Forum members have reported repair costs nearing $8,000.00 when this failure happens.

Hope this clarify's
Old 05-02-2019, 03:52 AM   #23

I would really like to have this IFS kit installed. I am being quoted 18 hours to simply replace the old rubber style line. I would certainly think that the CAT shop would quote at least 18 hours for the kit install (probably more!). I don't know why it's so high, other than they say the air compressor has to be removed (by the book) and it's 18 hour job on the books. From what I can see, they would have to remove the air cleaner and the HEUI pump is below it. I showed this picture of my engine to the CAT shop, but they still want 18 hours of labor cost to only change the hose. Perhaps mine is more complicated than others? Here is what mine looks like from the rear closet access panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	closet door access panel.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	244419   Click image for larger version

Name:	access to heui pump from closest door.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	244420  

kmb1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:22 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
This may be a job for a regular truck shop.
I'm surprised CAT would even quote the job. Maybe they added a "not responsible" for consequential damages clause" to their quote.

Most manufacturers/dealers won't install aftermarket equipment on an engine (they don't want to be caught in the middle if that aftermarket equipment fails - or is claimed to have caused another engine issue. Since the engine manufacturer has not tested/approved the device).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
This may be a job for a regular truck shop.
I'm surprised CAT would even quote the job. Maybe they added a "not responsible" for consequential damages clause" to their quote.

Most manufacturers/dealers won't install aftermarket equipment on an engine (they don't want to be caught in the middle if that aftermarket equipment fails - or is claimed to have caused another engine issue. Since the engine manufacturer has not tested/approved the device).
I understand what you are saying. But Cat did not quote to install the IFS kit, they quoted 18 hours for simply replacing my current old style line that is obviously cracking.
kmb1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
finally something that makes sense discovery39s hits the nail right on the head! I for one will be following and looking into this very closely. has anyone who has it installed experienced any fuel pressure idle or load ? just a quick question. thanks safe travels and God Bless
roadking1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking1217 View Post
finally something that makes sense discovery39s hits the nail right on the head! I for one will be following and looking into this very closely. has anyone who has it installed experienced any fuel pressure idle or load ? just a quick question. thanks safe travels and God Bless

I haven’t noticed anything along those lines.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #28

Well, 2,200 mile round trip to Florida and all went well. I have a Silver leaf monitoring system on a tablet and found the old 3126 was flawless in performance. Coolant temp ran between 190-194 (incline), boost was from 0 downhill to 24.8 uphill @ 100% engine load climbing through Tennessee mountains. Averaged 8.2 mpg running 65 mph. We were fully loaded with water, 2 dogs, 2 cats, pulling our boat, 50 lbs. of Grouper fillets and Stone crab.

Sending out oil sample just to see what it indicates. One thing that was found compared to last years trip was that the pulsation of the HEUI was near zero with hoses rather the steel tubing. Often on industrial axial pumps, hoses are used to reduce pulsation because the hose expands and contracts absorbing the spikes. Not that I have hard data to substantiate but I believe the pressure being more stable provided more consistent fuel pressure. Past tests indicated up to 300 psi pulsation with steel tubing, less than 75 with hoses.

What a great trip!!!!
George