Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #1

HEUI Pump Preventative Maintenance

What can be done to prevent failure of Heui Pump? Oil filters or fuel filters or fuel additives. I sure would like everyone's opinion. Thanking you in advance.
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #2

Coming from Powerstroke's (International motors), oil changes all the dang time. Even with 15qts, 5k miles is about all you want to push oil change on our trucks. But we don't have issues with pumps though, mainly injectors.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #3

Lol I know I rebuilt the top end of my 05. 6.0 last year! Now it's great.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Use the best oil and filters you can afford. I'm not advocating synthetic engine oils. Good quality mineral oil will do everything that engine needs. I have gotten 300k+ miles on an engine by changing the oil and filter regularly. I personally use products from the manufacture. I do go to the dealer to get my filters but not my oil since I use one brand and weight of oil in all my vehicles. On sale or not, always the same oil. Using multiple oils, a different brand at every oil change is a very bad idea. Most oil suppliers have their own way of formulating their oil and some of the chemicals one company may use may not work well with the chemicals other suppliers use.

I will admit I am quite partial to Cat products. I worked for Cat for 40 years. The last 17 was as a trainer. One class I taught was a maintenance class for our customers. I never knew there was so much to learn about maintenance products and procedures, and I pulled wrenches on Cat stuff for over 20 years before I started training. I say the same thing here. Be consistent with the fluids and use the best materials you can afford. Perform maintenance according to the owners or service manual for your vehicle. Oil and filters are cheap compared to buying parts messed up by poor maintenance practices. The way fluids and filters are changed does matter. Clean tools, wiping up spills, change filters as the manufacture recommends. Such as DO NOT PREFILL any filter, oil or fuel before installing. Prefilling on a HEUI engine is the worst practice you can do to that engine. If you don't have a fuel priming pump. Go to your local Cat dealer and get one set up on your engine. One of my biggest complaints about Cat was that those fuel primer pumps were not standard on every engine. Ok, I'll end now. I could go on and on, but this is not one of my 8 hr. classes.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #5

Thank you very much! Advice from an expert on Cats.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Thank you very much! Advice from an expert on Cats.
My advise to all of you CAT owners is to sell the damn thing before it leaves you on the side of the road. The history is terrible on these engines in motorhomes. I am stuck with one and as soon as I can get out from under it, I will. No help from Caterpillar on their obviously defective HEIU fuel injection system. They just keep selling replacement pumps and injectors. Great for them, terrible for the end user. Such a great company that sold an engine that cannot run for more than a few years, without a total leave you on the side of the road failure even when you follow their maintenance program to the letter of the law. Read some of the posts on this forum, I am not the only one stuck with these boat anchors.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #7

Use Cat spec 10-30 oil. The heavier 15-40 that most seem to use is hard on the HEUI system. Told this by Cat Tech Support. I buy oil from NC Machinery the local Cat service center in a 5 gallon pail. The Cat part number for the 5 gallon pail is 3E-9709. Cost a little less than $100.00.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Use Cat spec 10-30 oil. The heavier 15-40 that most seem to use is hard on the HEUI system. Told this by Cat Tech Support. I buy oil from NC Machinery the local Cat service center in a 5 gallon pail. The Cat part number for the 5 gallon pail is 3E-9709. Cost a little less than $100.00.

Jim
Thanks. I talked to the repair station about 10-30 today. I think I am going yo go back to it
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
Cat

There is also a Cat high efficiency engine oil filter that is recommended for the HEUI engine.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #10

Using the recommended 10-30 oil and the Cat recommended oil filter will go a long way toward making the engine fuel system function like it was designed. Buying other than Cat recommended stuff from the discount auto parts stores is false economy.

I was one that bought the discount auto parts store stuff until I was asked by the Cat technician that replaced my failed injector what oil I was using. I told him Delo 15-40. He suggested I call tech support and ask them what was best for the fuel system. I did.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
Cat

C7 WAX serial number engine oil filter adavanced efficiency 1R0751 Ultra High 257-9344.
C7 Fuel filter 1R0751 Ultra High Efficiency 306-9199 .
Makes a difference.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
Cat

C7 Made a mistake-- oil filter advanced is 1R1807 ultra high is 257-9344
C7 Fuel filter advanced 1R0751 ultra high is 306-9199.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #13

Thank all of y'all for your input. I will ask my cat shop about those filters!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #14

Also ask them about the correct weight of oil. You will be surprised at the answer. There are no statistics showing that 10/30 lengthens the life of the pump nor is there any CURRENT document from Cat that suggests 10/30 is preferred. Call Cat with your engine #'s and ask. Best information does not come from me or any other forum member. It comes from the manufacturer. I doubt there is any Cat dealer in NA that installs 10/30 in the C7 as a normal practice.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote