Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2023, 07:21 PM   #1

High pressure oil line

2001, Fleetwood discover cat 3126 B. Developed a leak in the high pressure, flexible, oil line that goes from the bottom of the Huey up to the cylinder head. Has quick connect fittings, because space is limited. Cat doesn’t show that it even existed. Went to Freightliner, they laughed at me. I did borrow some JIP (not sure if that’s the correct acronym???) from a local hydraulic shop. Figured out some fittings that would work and they made a hose to get me back on the road. Problem is, with this setup, it’s going to rub and eventually leak again. I’m going to have a second one made up and carry as a spare unless someone can give me a better solution………
Sonny7thb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2023, 08:04 PM   #2

I have a HEUI Navistar and the high pressure hoses were improved by making them extra thick, then sleeved in plastic corrugated conduit to help with abrasion. Of course they still make mine so that doesn't help you, but still others have done what you have done and had new lines made at a place like Flodraulics or Hose Power. Can you take the old one to one of the shops and have a new one made just like the old one that will not rub? If it's the same as mine they are STC (snap to connect) connectors and available everywhere. Secure it and sleeve it in something? One thing about the STC connectors, make sure everything is clean or they might not seat all the way. Everything will look good till one blows off and dumps all your oil. The new ones have a red ring at the fitting so you can tell when it's fully seated.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:05 AM   #3

Thanks Brian. I will start looking for a source for the STC fittings and once I find a shop with them, I will get the proper hose made. Thanks again
Sonny
Old 03-29-2023, 07:44 AM   #4

The STC trademark is owned by Eaton and they are still under the Aeroquip name. To separate them they make a tool which is simple to make from a piece of thin steel or an old stamped wrench.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
The STC trademark is owned by Eaton and they are still under the Aeroquip name. To separate them they make a tool which is simple to make from a piece of thin steel or an old stamped wrench.
yep, figured the tool out pretty quick I had an old long open end wrench that i had "thinned down" and it worked great to get the old line off.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:59 PM   #6

The high pressure oil HOSE , was replaced by a steel line with angle fitting as a running change ( up ) .
Not sure what year this happened , but my 1999, 3126B had had it done prior to my purchase of the coach in 2010.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HEUI close up 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	389532  
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2023, 02:12 PM   #7

BTW: The oil return to the pan plumbing changed about as often as I change my socks ; but for better access to the fitting at the bottom of the HUEI pump , the tinerman nut ( green arrow ) can be removed and the electrical component of the IAP solenoid can be slid off the shaft , after loosening the drain tube at the yellow and moving it in the direction of the red arrow.
That's what I had to do to mine to replace the failed O ring on the lower fitting.
Second picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0078.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	389533   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0235 (640x360).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	389535  

Old 04-04-2023, 10:12 AM   #8

I made several mistakes, in my previous post ; with acronyms and component names .
This pdf on the 3126B HEUI , fuel injection system ; particularly page 13-14 will help with names and function of the systems part names and function.

The picture is the wrenches I modified to get the fittings off to replace the split O ring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0249 (640x360).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	389568  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HEUI Engines fuel system operation.pdf (168.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-04-2023, 05:18 PM   #9

Thanks Skip 426. That was very, very enlightening.
I also modified a couple of wrenches to get my new hose on…
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6722E0E2-A134-44A3-9A2B-1321FED9D2FA.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	389584  
Old 03-01-2024, 08:29 AM   #10

I am looking at these pictures and wondering how you get your engine so clean? Mine is covered in oily soot. The PO had the valve cover tube simpliy running out straight down. I added tubing to bring it out on the passenger side rear corner. Is there another source of oil I should look for? Can I start by using simple green and light water to clean this?

We are starting out on a 5000 mile trip and the HEUI high pressure upgrade is on my list. I suspect mine is original. I am slowly working through the known weak points to help me sleep better.

Thanks in advance, I sure appreciate your posts. Dan
dansawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:03 PM   #11

Dan; the pictures in post #6 are not of my engine ; simply a couple I hold onto to illustrate the OEM hose and change up tube ; post #7 is of my engine and YES it could use a very extensive cleaning.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:34 PM   #12

I haven't gotten past trying to clean the radiator and the CAC.

Back to this thread, how tight is the connection of the hose to the HEUI? I have had very bad luck with old fittings. Given the special tooling is it reasonable to assume the lower fitting can be loosened?

I haven't tackled this job yet. I have the replacement steel pipe.
I have heard one of the failure modes is the for the high pressure tube to start to disintergrate and send small particles to the injectors. Replacing the original rubber tube seems like a good idea.
dansawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:23 AM   #13

Dan, I have no experience with the hose , as my issue was with the " O " rings on the angle fitting at the back of the HEUI splitting.

The O ring has a recess in the back of the pump and a washer on the fitting is tightened down to hold it in place ; if the hose uses a similar set up then the torque should be similar to that of the IAP sensor , which is not very tight .

I will check through my pdf on the E engines to see if I can find more info on the hose .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sensor torque.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	413186  
Old 03-03-2024, 06:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansawyer View Post
I haven't gotten past trying to clean the radiator and the CAC.

Back to this thread, how tight is the connection of the hose to the HEUI? I have had very bad luck with old fittings. Given the special tooling is it reasonable to assume the lower fitting can be loosened?

I haven't tackled this job yet. I have the replacement steel pipe.
I have heard one of the failure modes is the for the high pressure tube to start to disintergrate and send small particles to the injectors. Replacing the original rubber tube seems like a good idea.
If you want to be sure use new or rebuilt fittings. At the very least, get everything super clean with a power washer before disassembly as dirt can hinder the STC fittings ability to fully lock. The new STC fittings have a red ring on them that disappears when fully seated, if you can still see the red ring it's not in all the way.

Tags
pressure