Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycamper View Post
FYI. I PAID FOR THE DYNO!!! Da. I wanted to see what stock was wanted too see what MP8 did an wanted to see what exhaust did under a extreme load also wanted to see what my new program did. Wow. I said nothing bad about MP8. Or any mod any body has done. I also upgraded my exhaust. An had it checked with stock muffler temp an after market temp. I like what I see. I choose to leave an take full responsibility for my rig. I only did the work to my rig for extra power up hill that means 65-70 mph. I didn't by a 34,000 pd square box to save at the pump!! An certainly not going to race another RV blowing past me on the high way,,

I new this would spark interest. I just have the proof of what I did with my own eyes and the reports. Again. Any programmer will help. But if u want to no what they will do have it checked. Like I did. That why I posted a picture. Because I new nobody would believe me,
Andy you did it the right way by seeing the numbers. I will go to Diesel up to use the dyno also since they are not to far away. I ask them about dyno charges and they quoted $100 per run but would do it included with purchase of module. They must be pretty sure to make that offer.
Thanks for posting your info it is just what I was looking for.

Dave
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #30

Triple E Owners Club
Just curious. Has anyone noticed more black smoke from their exhaust when you step hard on the throttle at low rpm after the module was installed?
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #31

What Module?

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
Just curious. Has anyone noticed more black smoke from their exhaust when you step hard on the throttle at low rpm after the module was installed?

The MP-8 on my 330 HP Cat C7 does not putout black smoke unlike a power chip I put in a Ford Diesel several years ago. That thing was probably good for mosquito abatement or smoke screens but it sure powered up that Ford.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #33

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
What Module?

Jim
I was referring the module mentioned in the post just ahead of my last one. I didn't know if it did the same thing as the chip that you could plug into a Cat motor to trick the ECM into thinking the fuel temp is real hot. This makes the motor respond quicker by over fueling it like the old mechanical ones. It smokes like an older motor and from what I've seen also seems to shorten the life of it.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #34

Kuzzy,

What is the name of the programmer for CAT engines that you say does bad things to the engine and makes it smoke like some other engines. I have never heard those accusations about any programmer made for the CAT engine before.

Jim
Old 10-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #35

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Kuzzy,

What is the name of the programmer for CAT engines that you say does bad things to the engine and makes it smoke like some other engines. I have never heard those accusations about any programmer made for the CAT engine before.

Jim
Jim,
I said nothing about a programmer for cat engines. What I am referring to is a simple "chip" that plugs into the wire harness at the primary filter pad. All it consists of is a resistor and a 2 pin plug. This makes the ECM think that the fuel temp is at max. I have a C16 rated at 600 hp and have never used one. I have run with a number of other trucks with C15s rated at 550 hp that pull almost as good but they do smoke more and use more fuel.
I am a strong believer that if you want or need more power you should get a bigger engine, not hot rod your small one.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #36

Triple E Owners Club
I forgot to say that the C15s were using this chip.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #37

5050xl

I wanted to share since my experience has been a little different than most of the posts I read about the 5050xl. I had the 5050xl muffler installed on my C7 last week before a trip. I read the posts that it is not much louder, improves power/efficiency so for the $250 it cost I thought I would give it a try.

On a 340 mile trip it was a little louder under low load, a lot louder under load over 1700rpm, and almost intolerable at 5-600rpm idle due to the chassis resonation. (which I think was due to the mounting which I had fixed yesterday). I am shifting into 6th gear about 3mph sooner than before the muffler which I think means it is producing more power at the lower RPM.

I got almost exactly the same mileage (~7.9) as the last trip but took a different route so it is really not a fair comparison. I took a hilly route with a couple of 3-4000 ft climbs vs. cruise control at 62mph. This is towing an enclosed trailer that weights about 7-8k lbs. I also was in traffic on this trip versus the pre-muffler trip. Not really a scientific test, but over Thanksgiving I am going back to the desert and will run the exact same route as I did over Halloween.

If I don't see a significant increase in economy (10%) or noticeably better hill climb speed(hold 5th) I am going to put the stock muffler back on. It is just too noisy towing the trailer when the engine is really working.
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
When I first installed the 5050XL I didn't take the time to fit the back end of the exhaust, ignoring the manufacturer's specification that there be at least X amount of tailpipe after the muffler. I had a short turn-down - maybe 12" total length and possibly as short as 6" to the beginning of the opening. I could barely stand to be in the bedroom at idle - very bad resonance or harmonics (struggling to find the right word).

After a very short test drive, the rest of the exhaust went back on. It consists of a ~ 36" section with a 30o bend, a 90 and another 15" ending in a side exit. I found a 5x6 stainless exhaust tip on Ebay to replace the rusted OEM 5" tip to satisfy my aesthetic requirements. I didn't necessarily want the extra inch, but couldn't find an inexpensive polished 5" tip.

The longer outlet tamed the resonance/harmonic very significantly. I would describe the exhaust sound as a distant rumble at idle. It "talks" under WOT, but it isn't at all objectionable from the driver's seat on our 35' TropiCal. We pull a Mazda Miata and I have often wondered what it would be like passing our RV on the left in an open car with the tailpipe aimed straight out and pretty much at window height for a sports car...

If your installation has a really short tailpipe after the muffler and if there is room for a longer one, you might try that.

I once read that as a rule of thumb, each 90 in an exhaust is roughly the equivalent of 100' of additional tubing. If that also is applicable to taming the 5050XL, I went from less than a foot to the equivalent of 140'. I didn't want to re-install that 90, but running the short turn-down was NOT a viable option. I guess the manufacturer's specs are there for a reason sometimes!
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #39

Thanks - That is interesting. I had a local muffler shop install it and never even looked at instructions. Do you remember how much length after the muffler does the mfg recommend? I can't find install instructions and don't have the box any longer?

On my RV the exhaust come out the back of the muffler maybe 12", makes a 90degree bend and then out the driver side 18". The only way I think I could get a longer exhaust run would be to go out the street side and gain 6ft. Maybe I will try that *if* the power/economy benefits show up on my next long trip.
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Is it possible they installed the muffler wrong? There is an intake and exhaust side. If installed with the engine exhaust going into the muffler outlet end it won't function correctly, or so I'm told.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #41

They say in the video that it is supposed to have a minimum of 12" of pipe beyond the "muffler". Most chrome 90's will do that-my 5" would. No way would I EVER put one of those on my coach!! I hate noise!

Jim
Old 11-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #42

Foretravel Owners Club
Wonder why folks keep trying the cute stuff ? When re you going to get serious about horsepower and do it ?
dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote