Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2021, 07:33 PM   #1

Injector missing when cold - Which one - help

Occasionally when the CAT C9 (2006) is cold I get a slow start and it sound like one cylinder is missing at just a few hundred RPMs. If step on the pedal I can feel a rough engine and it will go away in 30 sec or maybe a few minutes. Never an issue once it is warmed up or if I drive it everyday on a trip.

Any CAT mechanics out there?
I have the ECU software. How can I tell which injector is missing? There are no codes. This has been going on for over a year. It makes good power and no other issues.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2021, 07:52 PM   #2

Well don't know about your Cat C9 but it sounds like a glow plug not pre heating.

Then again the new engines may not have glow plugs
Old 01-07-2021, 08:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1p View Post
Well don't know about your Cat C9 but it sounds like a glow plug not pre heating.

Then again the new engines may not have glow plugs
There is no Glow Plug and the intake heater is drawing current when cold.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE
I have the ECU software .[/QUOTE]

I’m interested in what software you are using.

Maybe VMS SILVERLEAF ?

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
[QUOTE
I have the ECU software .
I’m interested in what software you are using.

Maybe VMS SILVERLEAF ?[/QUOTE]
It is caterpillar service software that can manipulate the ECU.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can always go "old School" and use a stethoscope to listen to the cylinders and/or injectors. It will be pretty obvious which cylinder is misfiring.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #7

Feel the ehxaust manifold right after starting. The cold one is not firing.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Feel the ehxaust manifold right after starting. The cold one is not firing.
What he says.
Or take a temperature gun and check it.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #9

Use an IR temp gun from Harbor Freight. Quick and easy.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:49 PM   #10
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
Use an IR temp gun from Harbor Freight. Quick and easy.
Yep what he said. There wont be any diagnostic codes unless there is a electrical problem causing the miss. The diagnostic test for this problem would be to do a cylinder cutoff test, its like the old spark plug- if you pull a spark plug wire and the miss doesn't get worse then that's the one with a problem, if the miss got worse then that cylinder isn't the problem.
But you have to have the Cat Et software or something like it.
Otherwise heat gun and use it to check the exhaust ports.
Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Yep what he said. There wont be any diagnostic codes unless there is a electrical problem causing the miss. The diagnostic test for this problem would be to do a cylinder cutoff test, its like the old spark plug- if you pull a spark plug wire and the miss doesn't get worse then that's the one with a problem, if the miss got worse then that cylinder isn't the problem.
But you have to have the Cat Et software or something like it.
Otherwise heat gun and use it to check the exhaust ports.
Safe Travels
My challenge is this does not happen every time in fact maybe 10 % of the time when the engine is cold. A few days ago after the engine has been sitting and it being cool here I hooked up the computer and tried to run the cut off test immediately after starting. The auto test fails because it required the engine to be at least 170 degrees. I did the cut off test manually but all was normal and it sounded normal too. I also looked at the high oil pressure and it was normal too. Even when it misses it clears up within seconds or minutes. Checking exhaust temps is not so easy as I would need to open the back hatch every time I start it. I think I am going to have to wait until it becomes worse. At this point it is just annoying.

Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:28 PM   #12
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
My challenge is this does not happen every time in fact maybe 10 % of the time when the engine is cold. A few days ago after the engine has been sitting and it being cool here I hooked up the computer and tried to run the cut off test immediately after starting. The auto test fails because it required the engine to be at least 170 degrees. I did the cut off test manually but all was normal and it sounded normal too. I also looked at the high oil pressure and it was normal too. Even when it misses it clears up within seconds or minutes. Checking exhaust temps is not so easy as I would need to open the back hatch every time I start it. I think I am going to have to wait until it becomes worse. At this point it is just annoying.

Thanks for all the ideas.
The having to warm up before you run the auto test always was pia. On my mh I had a diagnostic port at the rear near the engine, but I also had a connector right under the dash. It maybe that you just have boot up the ET software and connect to the dash connector and then start and do the manual cutout ever time you start . Like you said or wait until it get worse.
Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
Occasionally when the CAT C9 (2006) is cold I get a slow start and it sound like one cylinder is missing at just a few hundred RPMs. If step on the pedal I can feel a rough engine and it will go away in 30 sec or maybe a few minutes. Never an issue once it is warmed up or if I drive it everyday on a trip.

Any CAT mechanics out there?

I have the ECU software. How can I tell which injector is missing? There are no codes. This has been going on for over a year. It makes good power and no other issues.

Have you tried shutting off and restarting?
Old 02-26-2021, 06:54 PM   #14

In the old days we would start the engine and feel the ehxaust manifold for a cold port.

An inferead heat gun works too.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote