Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Major C7 Problem

We have driven 05 Itasca with the C7 Cat Engine from Florida to Hanksville, Utah. In the last 300 miles, I gained about 1 1/2" of oil on the dip stick and toad is now covered with oil. Called the Cat Hot Line and they said that is is most likely an injector leaking fuel. They directed us to Salina, Utah and the Kenworth repair facility which is also a certified Cat Service. They performed the died fuel test and checked with black light. Results, no injector leaks. but a worse problem The head is cracked next to the number 3 injector Crack is only about 1 inch long, but will require the head to be replaced. This is no minor problem with a rear radiator coach. Total cost of about $5,100 or so.
Thank goodness we took out an insurance policy before we left home. We have been captive here for 4 days waiting for the insurance to decide if they would pay the claim. Finally today they agreed to pay the bill.
Calibrated the dip stick several years ago, so I always know where the oil should be. Prior to this I relocated the crankcase breather to the Valve cover and have had literally no oil in the breather exhaust. But thin out the oil with Diesel and add 2 gallons, it will blow out everywhere.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Did they give you a cause for the crack?

Glad to hear it sounds like a good outcome for you with insurance agreeing to pay

Who did you get your insurance through?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Insurance is through Goods Sams Extended Service Plan (ESP). Only problem was how long it took to get approved. But if all goes well we should be back on the road soon.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Good luck with a speedy repair and return to the road
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #5

I'm happy to hear Good Sam come through for you. It would be a real bummer to have to come up with money out of your "travel" funds. GS did pay for my pump and injectors a while back but there were some items not covered such as environmental fees for disposal of old oils, etc. but they picked up the major expenses. Hopefully you will be on the road soon.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
Insurance is through Goods Sams Extended Service Plan (ESP). Only problem was how long it took to get approved. But if all goes well we should be back on the road soon.
Good for you that they are covering it. Did they make you come up with a maintenance records and receipts since it was new>
When my gas engine broke the crankshaft in 3 pieces "Interstate Star ESP" sent their inspector to see the coach and all maintenance records and receipts. Then they wanted me to mail them all the records. ( yea right, then I would have no records). They decided they would accept a fax. About a month later after I got the Div of Insurance of CO and NY and the BBB involved in both places , they finally agreed to pay. I had a $50 deductible but I had to come up with $1400 to quit arguing on how much the shop wanted how much Interstate Star wanted to pay, so I would say 4 days is reasonable, but my engine was $14,000.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #7

Max, On my Good Sam pump and injector replacement GS did not ask for maintenance records. As mentioned by I Was South above they did take maybe a couple of days before getting out to check the damage. It could have been better but then it could have been a lot worse. When the Cat shop told me the problem I asked the shop to order repair parts. They were hesitant until I said it has to be fixed whether GS approves or not so why not order the parts and have them in stock. They did order the parts and were able to start the repair with out waiting a couple more days for parts.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #8

Iwasouth, could you email (f106pilot@aol.com) or fax (518-882-9199) me a copy of your repair bill. I'm having the same repair on a C7 (cracked head). The Cat dealer is charging me $4600 labor just to lower engine and then put back up, with a total cost of $10,000. Thanks
f106pilot is offline   Reply With Quote