RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:48 AM   #1

Makes Oil

I had the coach serviced last fall and took it to storage. This year I have driven it about 300 miles to get different work done. I checked the oil last week, after setting for a little over an hour, and it was over full. I haven't talked to the cat dealer that serviced it yet to see if he overfilled it. It runs well and had good power.

Is it possible for diesel fuel to get into the oil? I am a little reluctant to drive it. Engine is a CAT 3126, 330 HP.

hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2020, 06:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb View Post
I had the coach serviced last fall and took it to storage. This year I have driven it about 300 miles to get different work done. I checked the oil last week, after setting for a little over an hour, and it was over full. I haven't talked to the cat dealer that serviced it yet to see if he overfilled it. It runs well and had good power.

Is it possible for diesel fuel to get into the oil? I am a little reluctant to drive it. Engine is a CAT 3126, 330 HP.

We have the same year Dutch Star, the 3891 with the Cat 3126b engine. Ours is shows rated at 300 hp. There are apparently TWO different style oil pans available, one holds around 21 quarts with oil filter change, and the other one holds more, several quarts more. Speedco tried to add 27 quarts last time we used them, I told them add 21. It showed as slightly overfilled with 21. Ran for the day, checked the next morning on level ground, between midway and full mark, just where I like it. You may have the same thing going on. Also, curious how yours is a 330 hp and ours is a 300 hp. Where did you get that info?

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:23 AM   #3

Fuel injection systems can and do leak into the crankcase. If you have the time you can pull an oil sample and send it for analysis. The lab will tell you percent fuel dilution. An experienced mechanic can tell you from the smell and feel if it’s seriously diluted also.

If the oil looks and smells normal, I’d drain it down to the full mark and then closely observe it after that to see if it maintained that level (overfilled previously) or climbed up the dipstick as it was driven (leaking fuel seal).
Old 02-07-2020, 07:11 PM   #4

There are several threads that speak to the issue that the dip stick on these DP's are not reliable. I know in my case I called cat with my serial number to get the correct amount of oil required, for me 22Qts, i changed the oil myself and then marked the dip stick. Mine showed that at the correct level the dipstick read it was way over full. So I would call cat give them the number off the motor, get the correct information then call the shop and find out what they did. I would not trust the dip stick.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:41 PM   #5

On my 330 C7 Cat the original oil pan called for 19 quarts with allowing for the oil filter. It was about right on my dipstick. But my oil pan rusted out and I located a C-7 oil pan online from diesel parts company. When I compared it to the oil pan the sump was longer than the old one, but not any deeper. It fit perfect but it ended up holding 23 quarts to the same on the dipstick. I was happy with more capacity. But still trying to figure where that oil pan was used.
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #6

(We have the same year Dutch Star, the 3891 with the Cat 3126b engine. Ours is shows rated at 300 hp. There are apparently TWO different style oil pans available, one holds around 21 quarts with oil filter change, and the other one holds more, several quarts more. Speedco tried to add 27 quarts last time we used them, I told them add 21. It showed as slightly overfilled with 21. Ran for the day, checked the next morning on level ground, between midway and full mark, just where I like it. You may have the same thing going on. Also, curious how yours is a 330 hp and ours is a 300 hp. Where did you get that info? )

I got the HP info from the CAT dealer that services it.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb View Post

My gut tells me the Cat dealer either overfilled the engine, or they put the correct amount in and the dipstick is wrong. On our last trip, I had the coach leveled and I checked the cool engine oil level. It was surprisingly low. So I added oil right to the mark I use for full. The next stop, with coach being level and a cool engine I checked and the darn oil level was over full and the toad was splattered!

My point is check it often and get a feel if the oil level is really growing on you. But a great way to check if diesel or antifreeze is in the oil is to get a sample and send it off for analysis.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
My gut tells me the Cat dealer either overfilled the engine, or they put the correct amount in and the dipstick is wrong. On our last trip, I had the coach leveled and I checked the cool engine oil level. It was surprisingly low. So I added oil right to the mark I use for full. The next stop, with coach being level and a cool engine I checked and the darn oil level was over full and the toad was splattered!

My point is check it often and get a feel if the oil level is really growing on you. But a great way to check if diesel or antifreeze is in the oil is to get a sample and send it off for analysis.
I have also found that checking the oil hot or warm will show a higher level than when you check it stone cold. With the volume of oil the temp of the oil is important. I believe that they say to check the oil hot, but not sure. What really matters is you do it the same way every time to get an apples to apples reading.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:33 PM   #9

For $28, you can get a oil analysis done and eliminate the guessing.
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?ses...rtc55%29%29%2F
grindstone01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:31 AM   #10

After talking to the CAT service tech I decided to take it back to the CAT service center.

Because they did the last service they will verify that there is no fuel in the oil to determine if they overfilled it.

If there is fuel in the oil they will check the injectors.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:31 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
We have the same year Dutch Star, the 3891 with the Cat 3126b engine. Ours is shows rated at 300 hp. There are apparently TWO different style oil pans available, one holds around 21 quarts with oil filter change, and the other one holds more, several quarts more. Speedco tried to add 27 quarts last time we used them, I told them add 21. It showed as slightly overfilled with 21. Ran for the day, checked the next morning on level ground, between midway and full mark, just where I like it. You may have the same thing going on. Also, curious how yours is a 330 hp and ours is a 300 hp. Where did you get that info?
3126 came in 275, 300 and 330
Old 02-12-2020, 08:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
For $28, you can get a oil analysis done and eliminate the guessing.
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?ses...rtc55%29%29%2F
Or.... have sample analysis done at a CAT dealer. Cheaper, quicker and just as reliable.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:26 AM   #13

The CAT dealer has sent in a sample. I should get the results tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:35 AM   #14

Good to hear. Please keep us informed!

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote