Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #113

Country Coach Owners Club
hi, just my 2 cents but I recently purchased a 2006 cc inspire with a cat c-9 and I too was very concerned with the HEIU and its possible failure I spoke with numerous well versed mechanics from auth cat dealer to others who have worked on diesel for quite some time CAT Cummins Detroit oct also spoke with Freightliner repair shop. the bottom line is Freightliner has know idea of what I was talking about and said 99% of truckers don't have who run with cat motors and the rest of the mechanics say clean oil is key!! also frequent oil and FILTER change I hope this helps somewhat because at my house money don't grow on trees safe travel and God bless
roadking1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #114

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking1217 View Post
hi, just my 2 cents but I recently purchased a 2006 cc inspire with a cat c-9 and I too was very concerned with the HEIU and its possible failure I spoke with numerous well versed mechanics from auth cat dealer to others who have worked on diesel for quite some time CAT Cummins Detroit oct also spoke with Freightliner repair shop. the bottom line is Freightliner has know idea of what I was talking about and said 99% of truckers don't have who run with cat motors and the rest of the mechanics say clean oil is key!! also frequent oil and FILTER change I hope this helps somewhat because at my house money don't grow on trees safe travel and God bless
Well, are you sure you explained it right? Because installing a filter that can actually handle the high pressures between the pump and the engine is a brilliantly logical solution to a problem I am sure Cat is loath to acknowledge even exists. I will be ordering mine a couple of months from now and in the meantime I’ll just limit my driving hours and hope for the best.
Putting screens on the injectors...
Old 05-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #115
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking1217 View Post
The failure rates were low on all the HEUI engines. They tended to worse on the C7 and 3126E with the rectangle headed pump. The C9 had a even a lower failure rate. Not every HEUI will fail. Most will not. MAYBE a 1% failure rate on certain engines on certain applications. Less on other applications. But for the private owner buying a used MH a 6000-8000 dollar bill is a big hit. So that's what is being discussed. How to economically protect yourself a private owner from a "POSSIBLE" big dollar failure on an engine that was installed years ago. The sky is not falling LOL. Safe travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
The failure rates were low on all the HEUI engines. They tended to worse on the C7 and 3126E with the rectangle headed pump. The C9 had a even a lower failure rate. Not every HEUI will fail. Most will not. MAYBE a 1% failure rate on certain engines on certain applications. Less on other applications. But for the private owner buying a used MH a 6000-8000 dollar bill is a big hit. So that's what is being discussed. How to economically protect yourself a private owner from a "POSSIBLE" big dollar failure on an engine that was installed years ago. The sky is not falling LOL. Safe travels
Cat,
I would agree, The sky is not falling. However, the identity of those pumps in question hasn't been clarified regarding the engineering changes, serial number to serial number, to improve the failures that have occurred on what seems to be many by the number of member claims that have incurred the 6-7K repair costs. You stated 1% failure. 1% of how many HEUI pumps installed would be a valid question??? 100, 1,000, 10,000?

Also,
The new injectors with "screens", I would take they are sintered metal to be able to get down to 5< micron? If so, how is a person to clean them? Are they removable to clean or is a replacement injector necessary?

Thanks,
George
Old 05-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #117
Cat

I cannot tell you how many total engines failed, I also can not tell you how many failures were caused by poor maintenance practices. How many would not have failed if proper maintenance had been followed. My personal experience was a very low hour/mileage failure 12,000 mile failure, and all oil and filter had been changes had been with Cat oil and filters.

Obviously if your engine fails its one too many. But again not all will fail. Few will fail.. When it does it can be expensive-- very very expensive depending on where the work is being done.

No the screen on the injector cannot be changed. And this still leaves the problem of the contaminated Heui pressure rail that has to be cleaned. To clean the rail, the injectors need removed to properly clean the pressure rail. So putting a "screen in a injector" is a poor solution or no solution in my opinion. Safe Travels
Old 05-01-2019, 08:27 PM   #118

As always, your input is appreciated and respected.
Thanks,
George
Old 05-01-2019, 08:45 PM   #119

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinewalker View Post
Well, are you sure you explained it right? Because installing a filter that can actually handle the high pressures between the pump and the engine is a brilliantly logical solution to a problem I am sure Cat is loath to acknowledge even exists. I will be ordering mine a couple of months from now and in the meantime I’ll just limit my driving hours and hope for the best.
Putting screens on the injectors...
Oh oh, I meant Caterpillar, not Cat...
Old 05-02-2019, 03:46 AM   #120

I would really like to have this IFS kit installed. I am being quoted 18 hours to simply replace the old rubber style line. I would certainly think that the CAT shop would quote at least 18 hours for the kit install (probably more!). I don't know why it's so high, other than they say the air compressor has to be removed (by the book) and it's 18 hour job on the books. From what I can see, they would have to remove the air cleaner and the HEUI pump is below it. I showed this picture of my engine to the CAT shop, but they still want 18 hours of labor to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	closet door access panel.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	244417  
kmb1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:18 AM   #121

Country Coach Owners Club
I appreciate the honest answer from cat. I wish I would have read that first. because after spending thousands of dollars on MH (and some of you hundreds of thousands) the last thing you want to read on the forum is a problem that can be catastrophic and cost you upwards of $8000 to repair. but the solution in which I agree with, can be costly as well and when you inquire about it and very knowledgeable mechanics look at you like your crazy it makes you wonder?
as cat mentioned the failure rate is low and I would think if you purchase a used MH with a solid maintenance record with typical milage 60k & up and then you do a service with CAT oil and filter and follow 1x a year or every 7500 miles or less service. I believe you would be fine (again my 2 cents) because if it has not happened yet and clean oil is key then why will it happen? I appreciate the very knowledgeable folks on this site. not so much the sarcasm but all is good
safe travels and god bless Rick
roadking1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #122
Cat

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinewalker View Post
Oh oh, I meant Caterpillar, not Cat...
No worries. LOL Safe Travels "Cat"
Old 05-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #123

18 hours seems extremely excessive. Iv'e stuck my head in a few of these now and I would agree that the manufacture of the coach wasn't thinking about servicing the engines based on where some components were placed. Maybe it's a perception that all DP owners have hit the lottery and can afford those types of charges? Not sure.

Maybe this is a case of getting a second opinion as we do with doctors.
Good luck with your hose replacement.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:31 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery39s View Post
18 hours seems extremely excessive. Iv'e stuck my head in a few of these now and I would agree that the manufacture of the coach wasn't thinking about servicing the engines based on where some components were placed. Maybe it's a perception that all DP owners have hit the lottery and can afford those types of charges? Not sure.

Maybe this is a case of getting a second opinion as we do with doctors.
Good luck with your hose replacement.
Currently getting a 2nd quote from another Freightliner/Cat service center.
kmb1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:29 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb1966 View Post
I would really like to have this IFS kit installed. I am being quoted 18 hours to simply replace the old rubber style line. I would certainly think that the CAT shop would quote at least 18 hours for the kit install (probably more!). I don't know why it's so high, other than they say the air compressor has to be removed (by the book) and it's 18 hour job on the books. From what I can see, they would have to remove the air cleaner and the HEUI pump is below it. I showed this picture of my engine to the CAT shop, but they still want 18 hours of labor to do it.
Hi
Just to help, I have a 2005 Fleetwood discovery 39l with cat c7 330.
I installed the kit and only thing I had to do was remove power steering pump off back of compressor it is a little tight but everything went on easy for the most part.
Also its imperative that you pull the oil cooler off and check it for warping and get gasket kit as well as 2 new relief valves use proper torquing steps and I increased torque by 10 inch pounds!!
I found my oil cooler was warped but gasket not broken yet!! Also last note i found all bolts on oil cooler almost finger loose from factory!!!!!!!!
Good luck
whif7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:40 AM   #126

Morning
Hoping cat will chime in on this.

Is their any document or cat publication that lists the improvements in the heui pumps for the c7. Did the part numbers change on the improved units.
I have an 05 expedition and would be curious which iteration of the pump I have, and from that info could make a more educated decision on whether to just install filter or go ahead and replace pump as precaution against failure.
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote