Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #1

New owner, questions on CAT6 motor... thanks

Just bought a nice 2000 winnebago ultimate advantage. Prior owner treated it with an open checkbook, but that's said, still have some questions...

1) Owner had it serviced every year. Drove 2000 or so miles per year. Every year they had to add 1 gallon of coolant as it was low. Is that normal? Seems unusual, at least for cars... No leaks whatsoever, no smoke out the tailpipe, etc

2) Engine bay has 2 connectors that aren't connected to anything... please see pics... what are these for?

3) Top of engine has brown waxy substance melted onto it. Isnt grease or oil, its a hard peanut butter like wax. Can find any source for it as the only thing above the spot where it is, is the ECU, Air control computer, etc. And none of those seem effected? See pic. Any idea what this stuff is? Looks like about 3-4 large tablespoons of it... If you need larger pics let me know...
Attached Images

bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2020, 12:11 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Is the engine a 3126 not familiar with Cat6.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #3

On your having to add coolant....expansion tank is prone to leaking. Also expansion tank has to be pretty full to keep the low coolant light on the dash from coming on when driving up a steep incline.
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Just bought a nice 2000 winnebago ultimate advantage. Prior owner treated it with an open checkbook, but that's said, still have some questions...

2) Engine bay has 2 connectors that aren't connected to anything... please see pics... what are these for?
I’m pretty sure the gray round shaped connector is a diagnostic data port. My Horizon has two, one is under the dash by the drivers left foot area, the other is mounted in the rear for a mechanic to plug into.

The other one might be the Timing Calibration Probe Connector also for a mechanic to plug into. The one on my Horizon is hanging near the IAP Control Valve.
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:33 PM   #5

This is completely off topic but you might want to take a look at what appears to be a radiator hose in the third picture. That bulge at the clamp looks like future trouble to me. I also noticed that it has a worm-type clamp on it. I have had an issue with this type of clamp loosing clamping force when the rubber underneath them collapsed from being under constant pressure, maybe the clamp loosened. In any case it resulted in a small weepy leak that I fixed by a half turn on the clamp. This may be the cause of your coolant usage.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:48 PM   #6

Your engine is a ,3126B, serial number will be on the decal under the grime , if you carefully clean it off.
Second picture is what’s left of the rear diagnostic connector, not sure if replacement is available.
Third picture, connector has a water proof cap , so nothing to worry about.
The clamp and hose mentioned by arcaguy, is the oil breather to slobber tube , if you don’t have oil leak ,just leave that alone.
I’ll post info on the engine once I have my regular computer in hand .
Old 09-08-2020, 09:48 PM   #7

Some info on your engine , that you could find useful.
Diagnostic codes are in one of the pdfs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3126B specs.pdf (113.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf 3126B Heui Engines.pdf (168.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 09-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #8

Thanks guys, super helpful, will address the comments one by one...
Old 09-09-2020, 08:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grldst View Post
On your having to add coolant....expansion tank is prone to leaking. Also expansion tank has to be pretty full to keep the low coolant light on the dash from coming on when driving up a steep incline.
I don't see any obvious leaks. The expansion tank is very yellowed and very brittle. In one section its "chipping" away." Will either do plastic welding on that spot, or replace. Cheapest replacement I see is $150 or so, any other ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaminSamin View Post
I’m pretty sure the gray round shaped connector is a diagnostic data port. My Horizon has two, one is under the dash by the drivers left foot area, the other is mounted in the rear for a mechanic to plug into.

The other one might be the Timing Calibration Probe Connector also for a mechanic to plug into. The one on my Horizon is hanging near the IAP Control Valve.
Glad to see those are just diagnostic ports, will cover them to protect them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
This is completely off topic but you might want to take a look at what appears to be a radiator hose in the third picture. That bulge at the clamp looks like future trouble to me. I also noticed that it has a worm-type clamp on it. I have had an issue with this type of clamp loosing clamping force when the rubber underneath them collapsed from being under constant pressure, maybe the clamp loosened. In any case it resulted in a small weepy leak that I fixed by a half turn on the clamp. This may be the cause of your coolant usage.
Will do, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Your engine is a ,3126B, serial number will be on the decal under the grime , if you carefully clean it off.
Second picture is what’s left of the rear diagnostic connector, not sure if replacement is available.
Third picture, connector has a water proof cap , so nothing to worry about.
The clamp and hose mentioned by arcaguy, is the oil breather to slobber tube , if you don’t have oil leak ,just leave that alone.
I’ll post info on the engine once I have my regular computer in hand .
Thanks!

I will need to test the low coolant sender warning to see if it works. I would think the light and buzzer should be on, but they aren't.

One time the prior owner went for service and was down several gallons of coolant, dealer found a leak and fixed. If a warning was going off, the prior owner would have fixed it right away (he spent $40,000 on repairs/maintenance on this thing over the last 8 years!!!). There is also no buzzer when the airpressure is low and building up. I found a detached piezo type speaker under the dash, but reattaching it didn't make a difference.

Will remove the low coolant sensor and check manually to see if it works...

I'm a paranoid worse case scenario kind of guy... so worried about internal coolant losses but see no signs of issues with coolant having oil or vice versa... engine runs great, no smoking
Old 09-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #10

If your dash gauge package looks like the first picture , then the pdf will help with buzzer diagnostics and the buzzer will look like the second picture.

EDIT: BTW, I'm assuming your coach is on a Freightliner chassis ; am I correct ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0755.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	300423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0444 (360x640).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	300424  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freightliner gauges operation , testing.pdf (127.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #11

This was interesting in the PDF you provided...

Engine Water Temperature Monitoring System
One of the features of the ECM system monitors the temperature
of the coolant. At 225
0F (1070C) the "Check Engine" lamp will

come ON. If programmed, at that point the engine will gradually
"derate" in horsepower to a minimum of 120 hp, and road speed
will gradually reduce to 45 mph. This gives the operator ample
time to get off the road and prevent damage to the engine. All
drivers should be advised of this feature.

So if the PO was 4 gallons low on coolant, you would think the motor would run hot and it would go into "limp" mode as described. Right? I don't think he had any issues, and the low fluid was found incidentally....

(Well, theres more to that story... the PO was driving down the road and all hell broke loose. Turns out the drive axle came off!!! The mechanic noted a coolant leak while repairing ($$$$$), and stated leak "not due to driveline issues." So if that's so, again, if it really were 4 gallons low, you would think alarms would be going off everywhere and it would be in limp mode... but not so.... Maybe the fluid was related to driveshaft issue?)
Old 09-09-2020, 08:55 AM   #12

Quote:
If your dash gauge package looks like the first picture , then the pdf will help with buzzer diagnostics and the buzzer will look like the second picture.

EDIT: BTW, I'm assuming your coach is on a Freightliner chassis ; am I correct ?
Yep, that's exactly it...

Also, the little green thing to the right of it in the pic was unplugged...
Old 09-09-2020, 09:02 AM   #13

4 gals low on coolant is 1/2 the system capacity; I drained 7 + gals on a block neater change ; so there would be overheating .

I'd think , they used 4 gals of concentrate A/F + 4 gals water for a complete coolant change.

If you post a photo of your surge or overflow tank; then other members might be able to identify a supplier.

Rear radiator ?
Old 09-09-2020, 09:32 AM   #14

Quote:
4 gals low on coolant is 1/2 the system capacity; I drained 7 + gals on a block neater change ; so there would be overheating .

I'd think , they used 4 gals of concentrate A/F + 4 gals water for a complete coolant change.

If you post a photo of your surge or overflow tank; then other members might be able to identify a supplier.

Rear radiator ?
Yep, rear radiator...

Is it possible that if the coolant is really low it doesn't set off the temp sensor as there isn't any fluid contacting it?

I find it hard to believe the motor would run for any length of time with half the coolant missing, without seizing, smoking, and locking up...

The low coolant issues and transaxle issue were 2000-3000 miles ago... my suspicion is the driveshaft came off, swung around and detached/loosened some hoses... low coolant found after towed to shop to fix driveline...

Tags
cat, motor, new owner