Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #1

Location: Will let you know as soon as I see what\'s around that next corner!
replace C10 thermostat?

Has anyone replaced the thermostat(s) on a Cat C10?

Are there one, two or more?

Is this a "do it yourself" job or should I take it to Ring Power and let them do it?

Thanks, Buck
k7wn, '99 Magna #5653, 385hp Cat C10, Allison HD4060, Santa Fe toad
Texigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Buck, I just changed the stats on my 3126 or C7 took about 2 hr. easy DIY project. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the info auto...

Finally got up enough nerve to change my own a couple of months ago... the C10 only has one thermostat, and with the side radiator on the Magna, it was a breeze to change... Also flushed the system and put in ELC while I had it drained...
Old 08-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #4

You're very lucky to have the side radiator, I just changed mine with the rear radiator on a Cat C-7 engine and that was probably the worst piece of maintenance I've had to do in the 4 years I've owned the coach. Over a period of 3 different afternoons I probably spent close to 6 hours getting to them and putting everything back in place.

Wagonmaster2
Old 08-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #5

Yep... the side radiator is a nice feature... allows access to the Cat, plus doesn't need cleaning as often as the rear radiator

Had a couple of bolts on the thermostat housing that required an extension and flex coupling, but al in all, it was an easy task... probably took less than 15 minutes to do after I had drained the coolant out of the system... entire job, draining radiator, flushing, replacing thermostat and refilling with ELC took 3 hours... I called the Cat guys at RingPower in Brooksville and they told me the easy way to do it is to take off one of the heater hoses to drain and flush the radiator... I am on well water here and used it to flush the system for an hour or so and then made a last flush with distilled water before refilling with the Cat ELC... One other nice thing about the old Magna is the fact that there is a bleed-valve at the highest point in the coolant system which makes it easy to bleed off the air bubbles... even with the bleed-valve tho, I still had to "bleed" several times to get all the air out...

Buck