Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2015, 11:13 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Replacing a Cat 3126B

just not too long ago, I remember reading a post by someone that had just had a 3126B Cat replaced in their motorhome. It said that they had to go thru several engines before they got a good one and I was wondering who that was, where they got the engines and how much.
I am having to replace mine soon and NC Machine wants $14K for the long block and $10K for the labor. Another place wants $16K for the whole job and my usual guy is trying to see what he can find in a good used one. I am looking at an 8YL probably manufactured in '00-'01.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I had to have the C-7 replaced in my RV. The long block was $9263.13 (plus core deposit of $2547.77). New turbo, two new injectors, new water pump and lots of assorted parts, clamps, hoses, sealants, O-rings, etc. Total parts was $13211.21 Out the door was $20811.53. This was at Peterson CAT in Medford, OR. Peterson CAT has shops in WA but I don't know how close to you they may be.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Why are you having to replace the whole motor?
Old 12-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
If the value of the coach is near about 50% of a engine what are you gaining.

If it worth $35,000 and it cost 17-20,000 to replace the engine you will only get back what you just spent if you sell it.

Take that $$ buy another coach
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:02 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
If the value of the coach is near about 50% of a engine what are you gaining.

If it worth $35,000 and it cost 17-20,000 to replace the engine you will only get back what you just spent if you sell it.

Take that $$ buy another coach
Sure but the other side is a coach without an engine or with a blown engine is next to worthless. So if you replace the engine and run it a few more years then sell it it'll hurt less. At least that's my thought.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm still right side up in my rig as blue book is about $59K for an '01 LTC. I would love to see if it can be rebuilt for less, but I'm thinking that ain't gonna happen. You gotta have a working engine to be able to sell it. Yes, mine still works on 5 cylinders and so we are still using it carefully as CAT says we can. Just don't get too far away from a tow truck. It's amazing that I have several friends of my kids that are diesel mechanics and do side work, but they won't work on motorhomes.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
just not too long ago, I remember reading a post by someone that had just had a 3126B Cat replaced in their motorhome. It said that they had to go thru several engines before they got a good one and I was wondering who that was, where they got the engines and how much.
I am having to replace mine soon and NC Machine wants $14K for the long block and $10K for the labor. Another place wants $16K for the whole job and my usual guy is trying to see what he can find in a good used one. I am looking at an 8YL probably manufactured in '00-'01.
Inquire about a CAT Reman engine from your dealer. The entire engine is like new and rebuilt at less cost than a new one. Most of the labor is to remove the old and drop in the new.
charldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:25 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TRhe reason that I have to replace it is that #5 cylinder is dusted. They say the rest of the engine is in good condition tho. They couldn't find anything wrong with the rest of the engine. They went into the computer and found that the problem may have started with the previous owner at around 65K miles with a hole in the air filter. At least that's where the overheating started. I bought it at 80K and it ran quite well. It still runs well on 5 except when I'm climbing hills and then it overheats from overfueling. I have found two truck engines, but they're rather expensive to switch over.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #9

Isnt the 3126 a liner engine. If so why not inframe the engine and put liners and pistons in it and be done with it??
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:58 PM   #10

Curiosity tells me this engine doesn't have liners. No inframe for this bad boy.
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:06 PM   #11

I do believe the 3126 is a sleaved engine. A quick Google search showed a liner kit for it.

I can't imagine dusting one cylinder.

Yes the compression may be low but not from dirt injestion. That would take out, or at least damage, all of the cylinders.

I also don't understand how an engine overheats from over fueling. It would smoke but a rich mixture shouldn't create exess heat.

Chronic overheating can take its toll on pistons, rings and cylinders but the whole diagnosis seems odd.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I do believe the 3126 is a sleaved engine. A quick Google search showed a liner kit for it.

I can't imagine dusting one cylinder.

Yes the compression may be low but not from dirt injestion. That would take out, or at least damage, all of the cylinders.

I also don't understand how an engine overheats from over fueling. It would smoke but a rich mixture shouldn't create exess heat.

Chronic overheating can take its toll on pistons, rings and cylinders but the whole diagnosis seems odd.

The 3126 and the later C7 are both parent bore designs. There is no sleeve as designed. The block can be bored to accept a sleeve kit as a repair for a heavily scored cylinder. Can't do that in frame however.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The 3126 and the later C7 are both parent bore designs. There is no sleeve as designed. The block can be bored to accept a sleeve kit as a repair for a heavily scored cylinder. Can't do that in frame however.
Got ya.

Thanks
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A diesel engine is like an oil fired furnace. The more fuel you put in the more heat you get out. You heat the water up faster and if the radiator is even just a little bit dirty......

Tags
cat