Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2022, 10:48 AM   #1

San Diego Cat Service

I picked up a Winnie Journey with 350HP C7 / MH3000 and I would like to get it scanned, get service records, general health checked. I would also like to diagnose a boost gage issue that states 14psi full time(idle, load, cruising, always) in which it doesnt move more than .5psi either way since it runs great.

Ive put 1500 miles on it and averaging about 7mpg with or without a trailer which seems reasonable to me. Ive ordered a scan gage to get a boost reading

Ive used google and am not finding much as far as Cat RV service in San Diego area. A mobile cat service guy would be great as well but im open to any local cat certified shop that will work on an RV.

Also looking to where I find my cat serial number? Is it on the chassis tag or on the motor itself?

Kris
05 Winnebago Journey 34
Cat C7 350 / MH3000
shockseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2022, 01:38 PM   #2

On a C-9 itís on the back of block. If you have a side radiator it easy to see.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockseals View Post
I picked up a Winnie Journey with 350HP C7 / MH3000 and I would like to get it scanned, get service records, general health checked. I would also like to diagnose a boost gage issue that states 14psi full time(idle, load, cruising, always) in which it doesnt move more than .5psi either way since it runs great.

Ive put 1500 miles on it and averaging about 7mpg with or without a trailer which seems reasonable to me. Ive ordered a scan gage to get a boost reading

Ive used google and am not finding much as far as Cat RV service in San Diego area. A mobile cat service guy would be great as well but im open to any local cat certified shop that will work on an RV.

Also looking to where I find my cat serial number? Is it on the chassis tag or on the motor itself?

Kris
05 Winnebago Journey 34
Cat C7 350 / MH3000
Kris,
First off, there's at least one repair/service center in or around San Diego. One is:

https://www.hawthornecat.com/locations/

If you're not familiar with the San Diego area, that Hawthorne CAT center is up in the Rancho Bernardo area, about 15 or so miles north of San Diego off of I-15.

As for the engine serial number. There are at least two, possibly three locations. One is on a tag on the front of the engine which, in most if not all C-7 scenarios is impossible to see without the rear radiator and CAC out and clear. The second location is stamped into the engine block, on the upside of the oil pan lip on the drivers side. I had to use a mirror and a light to see it from under the coach. There's other locations but I can't recall them at present.
I carry a card (business size) that has all the pertinent information of our coach. It has the coach serial number, the VIN, the Engine serial number, the trans serial number, and a couple other numbers. That way, when we're traveling and if and when I might need a part or something important, I have all the needed information on our coach right with me all the time.

I just went out and looked and confirmed that on our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, it has also a sticker on the dash, as you lift the hood in the front end, that denotes all pertinent info on the coach.

Coach serial number
Engine family
Trans family
Coach build date
Chassis build date
Engine serial number

And there's more info but, you get the point.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:38 AM   #4

Well,
OP's apparently not too interested in answers he asked for.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:21 AM   #5

I’m interested but have only heard 1 option. Hawthorne which is the 1 option hasn’t returned a call or email and their customer reviews aren’t stellar. Is Hawthorne the only option in San Diego county for cat guys? No mobile cat rv mechanics any san diegans use? No alternative certified cat service centers that will touch RV’s?

I’m surprised if not since I see a lot of cat rvs in San Diego on the road.
shockseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:31 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockseals View Post
Iím interested but have only heard 1 option. Hawthorne which is the 1 option hasnít returned a call or email and their customer reviews arenít stellar. Is Hawthorne the only option in San Diego county for cat guys? No mobile cat rv mechanics any san diegans use? No alternative certified cat service centers that will touch RVís?

Iím surprised if not since I see a lot of cat rvs in San Diego on the road.
I have found that most Cat dealer's don't work on Moho's. especially those that are over 10 years old. to be polite they will string you a long with excuses and high prices but in the end they are just not interested. The reason is that getting parts for them normally takes 2 to 3 weeks and they don't want your coach sitting around in their lot to get damaged. best bet is a mobile mechanic where he comes to your site to do the work. Most RV parks allow these guys to do their jobs, but their are few parks that have been burned by them. In the diesel world, jobsite equipment service is the rule so the equipment rarely if ever sees a service bay.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:50 PM   #7
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
I have found that most Cat dealer's don't work on Moho's. especially those that are over 10 years old. to be polite they will string you a long with excuses and high prices but in the end they are just not interested. The reason is that getting parts for them normally takes 2 to 3 weeks and they don't want your coach sitting around in their lot to get damaged. best bet is a mobile mechanic where he comes to your site to do the work. Most RV parks allow these guys to do their jobs, but their are few parks that have been burned by them. In the diesel world, jobsite equipment service is the rule so the equipment rarely if ever sees a service bay.
Parts for the engine shouldn't take 2-3 weeks. Those engines were used with little difference between RVs and heavy equipment applications. So there are lots of engines out there. You are right about not wanting to work on them. S everyone knows Rv aren't easy to work on-- and how long it takes to remove a component varies so much between RV manufacturers. And RV manufacturers didn't care about accessibility when they designed the RV. So a dealer works on it an loses money or charge the Rv and catch hell for a high bill. But parts aren't a real issue. Safe Travels
Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 11:05 PM   #8

Hawthorne San Diego Truck Service

Jason 858 376 6841

Call after 8AM but not after 3PM or 1 hour either side of noon for best results
87Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, service