Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smoke

It seems as if I may have several different problems with my Cat 3126b. I went on a trip to Vegas a year or so ago and left with 7K on the oil change. On the last day out from home I noticed that I was having a bit of blow by from the slobber tube at a rest stop. When we got back on the road,I didn't see any signs of smoke and everything seemed ok. The next trip out I got several check engine lights and the codes were for fuel problems,so I took it to the Fife Cat place and it was diagnosed as needing a new IAPVC and they said that my oil was really bad and really needed changing,so I had them do all the filters and the oil change then. After I got home,I rechecked the oil and found it to be WAY above the full mark and 22qts marked on the filler cap. That didn't sound right so I called Cat and they said that it was s'posed to be 19qts with the filters per a service order. I had it drained down three qts and it was still high,but I left it there. I was also seeing heavy dark grey smoke when starting which has diminished a lot as I have let the oil level drop down to the add mark on the dipstick. It only does that when it's started the first time in a day and not always the first time when on the road. It is also doing a medium amount of blowby when it's idleing. I'm thinking that I'm going to change the oil and put 14qts plus the 2 for the filter and see what happens then. Oh,and it really doesn't like to climb hills,with or without the toad,which is an '11 Liberty at 3600#.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 11:44 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I was also seeing heavy dark grey smoke when starting which has diminished a lot as I have let the oil level drop down to the add mark on the dipstick. It only does that when it's started the first time in a day and not always the first time when on the road. It is also doing a medium amount of blowby when it's idleing. I'm thinking that I'm going to change the oil and put 14qts plus the 2 for the filter and see what happens then. Oh,and it really doesn't like to climb hills,with or without the toad,which is an '11 Liberty at 3600#.
Not to be the bearer of bad tidings but you could be in need of a valve job and new valve seals. While it's apart have the nozzles tested to make sure you don't have a dribbler. JMHO
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep, it is an ongoing battle to make certain I only get 19qts oil. I tell the writer when I bring it in. I tell tell them I am only going to pay for 19qts. I write it down or circle it when they ask for my signature to do the work. But I have found writing with a paint pen in BIG yellow letters: "19 qts. only" on the radiator works best. I also re-calibrated the dip stick to 19qts on the Full line.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #4

Call the Cat Hot Line to get the real amount of oil for your motor.
1-877-777-3126
If you are going 7000mi + on an oil change you are killing the HEUI pump.
1. HEUI Injector Uses hydraulic energy (as opposed to mechanical energy from the engine camshaft) from pressurized engine lube oil for injection. The pressure of the incoming oil (800 to 3300 psi) controls the rate of injection, (injectors shear the oil) while the amount of fuel injected is determined by the ECM.
2. Electronic Control Module (ECM) This sophisticated on-board computer precisely manages fuel injection and other engine systems. The HEUI injector solenoid is energized by an electronic signal generated in the ECM. Using input from multiple sensors, the ECM’s dual microprocessors use proprietary software and customer- supplied performance parameters to produce maximum engine performance under any conditions.
The max on a Cat motor oil change should be 5k.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Call the Cat Hot Line to get the real amount of oil for your motor.
1-877-777-3126
If you are going 7000mi + on an oil change you are killing the HEUI pump.
1. HEUI Injector Uses hydraulic energy (as opposed to mechanical energy from the engine camshaft) from pressurized engine lube oil for injection. The pressure of the incoming oil (800 to 3300 psi) controls the rate of injection, (injectors shear the oil) while the amount of fuel injected is determined by the ECM.
2. Electronic Control Module (ECM) This sophisticated on-board computer precisely manages fuel injection and other engine systems. The HEUI injector solenoid is energized by an electronic signal generated in the ECM. Using input from multiple sensors, the ECM’s dual microprocessors use proprietary software and customer- supplied performance parameters to produce maximum engine performance under any conditions.
The max on a Cat motor oil change should be 5k.
2 stroker
Well stated
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
One of our members awhile back was saying Cat told him it should be changed for every 1000 hours of operation which would be about 7000 miles for those getting 7 mpg. I tend to change mine between 5 & 6,000 miles. I change the fuel filter and lube the fittings when I change the oil & filter.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #7

I thought my literature from CAT was 20K or 12 months, whichever comes first. For me, that is 3 or 4K

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
The suggested change for the Cat 3126B engine is 6,000 miles/ 6 month/ 250 engine hours which ever comes first.
I have also seen 1,000 gallons of fuel used in this suggestion.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:58 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well,I've got less than 3K on this one and it's going in for a diagnostic at the shop I've started using after our next trip which is a whole 90 miles r/t and then it's getting an oil change after he tells me what's happening. I'm not getting any engine codes and am still learning how to set up my new scan gauge D.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Bigdog,

I also would have a oil analysis done properly as that will provide a lot of information
on the engine.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #11

Info in my MH in a CAT document printed in April 2007 says 9000 miles or 1 year for a 19 quart pan and 11,000 miles for a 22 quart pan for a 3126B engine.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #12

CAT told me 17000 miles or 6 months on my C9. I'll do it at 5000 or annually. CAT also sells lots of HEUI pumps and injectors. And they put 36 quarts in mine after I told them no more than 34. I've got a Fumoto quick valve on the rear drain plug now so draining two quarts is not a problem.

2005 Inspire 330 Davinci, #51334. C9
Old 08-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #13

Duoglide1,
I am with you, no way I am changing the oil bi-annually when I hit MAYBE 3000 miles.

I can only take so many of these conversations at walmart:

"Wow, that is an interesting cart - that is lot of oil and some hot dog buns"
"Ya, I have a Caterpillar that holds almost 9 gallons of oil.... and the wife needed hot dog buns"

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:22 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
CAT told me 17000 miles or 6 months on my C9. I'll do it at 5000 or annually. CAT also sells lots of HEUI pumps and injectors. And they put 36 quarts in mine after I told them no more than 34. I've got a Fumoto quick valve on the rear drain plug now so draining two quarts is not a problem.

2005 Inspire 330 Davinci, #51334. C9
Yes one can buy many oil and filter changes before reaching the cost
of a HEUI pump and injectors plus labor.