Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2021, 10:53 AM   #1

Starter solenoid

Any body know where the starter solenoid is on a C-9 everything comes on but starter does not turn over and batteries are good.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2021, 11:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Any body know where the starter solenoid is on a C-9 everything comes on but starter does not turn over and batteries are good.
Here is a picture of two C9 engines. Depending on which variation you have, the starter motor and solenoid could be on either side of the engine, but in all cases, it will be next to the bell housing for the transmission.

Note, there are some variations on the C9

Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:02 PM   #3

There will also be a starter relay, looks like a solenoid, back somewhere bolted to the chassis.

Is your transmission pad lighting up ? If not, it's your problem, check for battery power to it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There will also be a starter relay, looks like a solenoid, back somewhere bolted to the chassis.

Is your transmission pad lighting up ? If not, it's your problem, check for battery power to it.

Trans pad lighting up all gauges lighting up batteries good just want turn over.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Trans pad lighting up all gauges lighting up batteries good just want turn over.

I found 2 one small and it opens and closes with switch and bigger one with a 100 amp fuse which does nothing with switch?
Old 11-29-2021, 01:21 PM   #6

The rear of your starter motor should look something like this,

Look at the two large lugs on the solenoid. If you jump the top lug (connected directly to the battery + terminal) to the one under it (use a large gauge cable or insulated screw driver shaft,) the starter motor itself should run. It will not engage the flywheel, but it should run. That will show the motor itself is good. Caution, there will be a spark.

If you jump the top lug to the small terminal on the right (not shown in the photo, but it's behind the curved raised shield,) the solenoid should engage, the gear move into the flywheel, the starter motor run, and the engine turn over. Engine will not start as the ignition switch is not ON. This will show if the solenoid is good.

The lug on the rear of the starter motor is connected to the ground cable as well as the ground for the solenoid coil, as shown.

Running the above two checks can eliminate the starter/solenoid as your problem.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:29 PM   #7

Thumbs down Some crazy answers.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
The rear of your starter motor should look something like this,
Look at the two large lugs on the solenoid. If you jump the top lug (connected directly to the battery + terminal) to the one under it (use a large gauge cable or insulated screw driver shaft,) the starter motor itself should run. It will not engage the flywheel, but it should run. That will show the motor itself is good. Caution, there will be a spark.
If you jump the top lug to the small terminal on the right (not shown in the photo, but it's behind the curved raised shield,) the solenoid should engage, the gear move into the flywheel, the starter motor run, and the engine turn over. Engine will not start as the ignition switch is not ON. This will show if the solenoid is good.
The lug on the rear of the starter motor is connected to the ground cable.
Running the above two checks can eliminate the starter/solenoid as your problem.
It does not sound like the OP even has a voltmeter to check (the easiest and simplest), now WHY would you be going and telling them to stick a screwdriver into the starter solenoid???
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
It does not sound like the OP even has a voltmeter to check (the easiest and simplest), now WHY would you be going and telling them to stick a screwdriver into the starter solenoid???
Let's just say we all make assumptions based limited information.

You assumed the OP has limited ability, knowledge, or self-awareness, based on no mention of having a voltmeter, not checking voltages, or not knowing the location of the starter.

I assumed he was not familiar with a DP, did not know the circuit connections or functions of the starter/solenoid, but had enough self-awareness to decide whether or not to carry out tests on his own.

If nothing else, he was given the knowledge of how the starter/solenoid work. I also assumed the "you" in the post was understood to be the "universal you," not specifically referenced to the OP.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
There may be another "start solenoid" located near the starter that sends power to the solenoid that is mounted on the starter.

Some of the larger coaches do this to combat voltage drop from the key switch to the starter.

My C13 has this, and it went bad. This is what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Beaver Patriot C13 Starter Solenoid.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	350118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Solenoid location on 05 Beaver Patriot.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	350119  

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post

I have a volt meter I was really trying to find out if there is a relay before starter to check since the starter is about impossible to get to. But that for your great help maybe I can return favor some time.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:09 PM   #11

Check you chassis ground. Follow the ground cable from the starter solenoid to the frame. That area is subject to the elements and on these old coaches that ground can become to resistive causing starting problems. It is really the first place I would look if your batteries are good.

Like others have said, there are other solenoids and relays in the starting circuit. You may have one somewhere near the rear bumper. You may also have one in your electric compartment and your front run bay.

Now all that said, grounds should be the first place you check. More often than not, they are your problem when you have good power.
1994 CC Affinity #5060 CAT 3176 w/ Allison HT746
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
Check you chassis ground. Follow the ground cable from the starter solenoid to the frame. That area is subject to the elements and on these old coaches that ground can become to resistive causing starting problems. It is really the first place I would look if your batteries are good.

Like others have said, there are other solenoids and relays in the starting circuit. You may have one somewhere near the rear bumper. You may also have one in your electric compartment and your front run bay.

Now all that said, grounds should be the first place you check. More often than not, they are your problem when you have good power.

First I would like to thank you for your polite reply I had a friend come over who is a big truck repair guy. I showed him the solenoid /relay beside engine he put his remote start button on it and she fired right up.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:46 PM   #13

Glad you got it running. [emoji1360]
1994 CC Affinity #5060 CAT 3176 w/ Allison HT746
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
First I would like to thank you for your polite reply I had a friend come over who is a big truck repair guy. I showed him the solenoid /relay beside engine he put his remote start button on it and she fired right up.
The aux. solenoid is a common problems with these and even though cheap enough through Spartan.
I've wired in two buttons since. One supplies 12vdc to the aux. coil and the other jumps around the aux. contacts. If the former works, then there's a problem upstream somewhere in the ignition circuit. If it doesn't but works with the latter then the aux. solenoid itself needs replaced. If neither works then the main starter solenoid and/or the starter itself is bad.
These trouble shooting mods also save crawling down under, knowing full well that it's gonna happen in the rain and in a dangerous location.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solenoid, starter