Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #1

Used Pusher and mileage

Thank you to all for taking the time to answer. What I'm about to ask may in some ways answer its self....but the reason is important because I really have no clue......OK.....we are looking to buy a used Diesel Pusher with mileage between 80 to 110 thousands miles.....I've been told that diesel engines really dont start to break in until 35 to 50 thousand.....so if one were to find a pusher with 80 to 110 miles what can one expect for a life time. Again I have been told they can last with proper maintenance in the range of 350 to 400 thousand miles.....help and knowledge for a newby.......thank you
patspage04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2019, 04:57 AM   #2

Just my take, why not look for a coach with lower mileage? In the same age range, it might be money well spent over one with higher mileage.

With proper maintenance they can and do run for a long time.

A higher mileage coach could have lots of use on the house side and things could be worn out and need updating.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
In not just mileage to consider, but age too. Rubber parts wear out over time.
See this video...
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:08 PM   #4

It seems to me that every time I read about those vehicles that last several hundred thousand miles, it's the ones that are used long and often. This is generally the category that commercial users fall in, and a few very fortunate recreational users.

In contrast, the ones that seem to fall flat on their faces are the ones that sit for long periods of time and have relatively few miles on them. Unfortunately, this fits most RVers, including yours truly.

So, higher mileage can sometimes be a favorable thing.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer6 View Post
It seems to me that every time I read about those vehicles that last several hundred thousand miles, it's the ones that are used long and often. This is generally the category that commercial users fall in, and a few very fortunate recreational users.

In contrast, the ones that seem to fall flat on their faces are the ones that sit for long periods of time and have relatively few miles on them. Unfortunately, this fits most RVers, including yours truly.

So, higher mileage can sometimes be a favorable thing.
I agree with this, although my opinion is just that: mine.

During my two years of research I ended up getting a feeling for what was a healthy odometer reading for the year of the coach and what was not. A 10 - 15 year old coach with 17,000 miles, for example, gave me the heebie-jeebies. How many pressurized components would fail on the first or second trip, for example?
I was a little less squirmy over a coach with high miles (150K - 200K), but those engines' good health would be completely reliant on a possible STRING of owners doing the right thing. And the house might get beaten to a pulp over those distances, too....
In the end I settled for a 14-year old coach with under 85,000 miles on the clock, and I'm completely comfortable with that.
Steve
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #6

No matter what you buy plan on doing some work to get it into shape and keep it there. I bought my 01 in 2015 it had 33K i have only had one breakdown that ended up in a tow, a failed water pump. But I have been all over the preventative. including replacing all the hoses belts radiator, and related components. I would rather see regular but light use and indoor storage. so not so much the actual miles.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patspage04 View Post
Thank you to all for taking the time to answer. What I'm about to ask may in some ways answer its self....but the reason is important because I really have no clue......OK.....we are looking to buy a used Diesel Pusher with mileage between 80 to 110 thousands miles.....I've been told that diesel engines really dont start to break in until 35 to 50 thousand.....so if one were to find a pusher with 80 to 110 miles what can one expect for a life time. Again I have been told they can last with proper maintenance in the range of 350 to 400 thousand miles.....help and knowledge for a newby.......thank you
I'm at a complete loss as to why so many feel that mileage is of no significance on a DP. This includes the NADA and like the engine is the only thing there is, with moving parts. Even if parts aren't moving, the more they're used, the more they're apt to wear out. We're not talking about years of sitting still and creating lot rot here, but com'on now and there really isn't much difference in looking at the aspects of a DP vs a gas puller.
Story short, low mileage is always more attractive to a buyer....
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:31 PM   #8

It may be more attractive, but is not always better, take for example a coach that has been sitting in storage for the last 3 or 4 years due to the owner having health issues, before it is eventually sold. Such a coach rarely has any type of routine maintenance, engine oil is allowed to sit and acidify, there are many normally moving parts which have sat stationary, not being lubricated, and allowing bearings to start to gum up, resulting in problems that will likely pop up over a period of time.

The same coach might be in much better shape if someone had taken it on a thousand mile trip 3 or 4 times per year over those same 3-4 years, as the bearings would have been periodically operated, and not allowed to sit gum up and corrode.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
We bought our 2002 in 2017 with 70k mi. 1 owner used and maintained until 2017 when we bought it. We caught up the pm and updated interior and some electronics.
We now have 90k miles and no major repairs and no breakdowns. The chassis is good as new and the house doesn’t have a rattle or squeak going down the road.
My opinion, buy a well built coach, do the pm and keep up maintenance, then let it roll.
We are considering moving up to a 45’ coach this fall and it will be a pre emissions that has been used and loved like ours. I will pm and update to my satisfaction and enjoy it too. The quality of the build and pride in workmanship up to around 2008 can’t be beat in my opinion.
We are diy types so this approach may not apply to all.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOZE TRAVEL View Post
We bought our 2002 in 2017 with 70k mi. 1 owner used and maintained until 2017 when we bought it. We caught up the pm and updated interior and some electronics.
We now have 90k miles and no major repairs and no breakdowns. The chassis is good as new and the house doesn’t have a rattle or squeak going down the road.
My opinion, buy a well built coach, do the pm and keep up maintenance, then let it roll.
We are considering moving up to a 45’ coach this fall and it will be a pre emissions that has been used and loved like ours. I will pm and update to my satisfaction and enjoy it too. The quality of the build and pride in workmanship up to around 2008 can’t be beat in my opinion.
We are diy types so this approach may not apply to all.
If you're going to go with another pre-emission coach, I would advise not newer than 07 with an 06 chassis and engine. Can't speak for every manufacture, when new emission standards were mandated in 07, but pretty much a given for CAT power.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:58 AM   #11

The one thing I tell a dealer when they say diesels will run forever is "that's great news but what about the rest of the shell around it?" Spend some money and have an inspector go through the entire coach with a fine tooth comb.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
The one thing I tell a dealer when they say diesels will run forever is "that's great news but what about the rest of the shell around it?" Spend some money and have an inspector go through the entire coach with a fine tooth comb.
This is true and this idea of mileage making no difference on a DP, is hog wash.
And even if the engine will run forever, it doesn't mean that you will never have to fix it and you'd better hope that it's not a major fix, too, as the monetary damage will far surpass what a brand new gasoline crate engine would cost to replace and a whole lot more.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #13

My observation is the older coach's are built with much higher craftsmanship.
Just as you would do with a home, start with the roof and work down. Pull drawers, any cover plates and look for moisture damage. Widow seals, window seals, window seals. Plan on pulling them, one at least, and check the sealing tape. If it's soft and pliable then they may have been recently done. Check all other penetrations, furnace cutouts, water fill, fuel fill...... anywhere the side wall was cut. MOISTURE is the death of the shell.

On the mechanical side. ask for maintenance records. If not available then ask the seller to provide engine oil and tranny oil analysis. Check coolant color and last time replaced if possible. YES, "rubber" items are prone to failure. Good flashlight and creeper. Roll around underneath and look for cracking on hoses, air bags, grommets, belts, cables.....

I found several RV mechanics will moonlight and provide you with a detailed inspection for 2-300.00.

It's a great project to bring the old gems back to life providing YOU can do most of the work. Else, have a thick wallet.

Good luck to you!
Old 02-07-2020, 08:52 PM   #14

My coach is a 2007 with a 2006 engine. The biggest enemy for me has been corrosion around the engine. Did a deep maintenance this past summer because air to air intercooler failed to corrosion. I replaced the intercooler and the radiator which was corroded. I also replaced all moving parts behind the cooling system. I had almost a $11000 bill. But when I spread it over 12 years it didn't seem quite as bad. The coach only had 65000 miles on it. But it is something to account for when buying an older coach. If it's any consolation I know what I have now.
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote