Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2020, 01:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Water Pump Replacement CAT3126

We have just completed our water pump replacement, in a campground as well.
This was done by my wife and myself, and some assistance from another camper. The job took us eight days, but we are retired amateurs. If we had to do it again, it would go much faster.

Please see the attachment for the full PDF. Not as many photos as I had originally intended, but I was more wrapped up in the job then the documentation process.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Itasca 2002 Horizon Water Pump.pdf (1.54 MB, 258 views)
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for sharing your information

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Great write up, thanks for documenting the project.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvw613 View Post
This was done by my wife and myself, and some assistance from another camper. The job took us eight days, but we are retired amateurs. If we had to do it again, it would go much faster.

Please see the attachment for the full PDF. Not as many photos as I had originally intended, but I was more wrapped up in the job then the documentation process.
Well Sir,
I feel deeply for you and your Mrs. I have been in the EXACT same predicament only I WAS AT HOME when I found I needed a new water pump for my CAT C-7 330HP which, is only slightly different from your 3126. I moved the coach from the RV garage to the driveway to prep the floor for some work I was gonna do on the engine. As soon as I parked the coach, I walked back to the backside of the garage only to see, PINK FLUID on the floor, about a quart of it. WHAT'S THIS?????????????

Anyway, it took me a while to actually find the leak. Yep, mine too was the water pump. I didn't see the looseness of the pully/shaft at first. All I saw was scuffing marks on the backside of the idler pully of the serpentine belt. Hmmmm, what's the scuff marks from??? It didn't dawn on me as to what would cause this.

Anyway, long story short, yep, water pump shot at around 80-85K miles, I forgot which. But, I had already had that radiator and CAC out a few years before to clean it all and do minor bearing replacements in the tensioners and pulleys. So, getting all that out was a piece of cake, time consuming but, not all that hard.

Getting the actual water pump off was not hard at all. The hose/fitting attachments on the top side, were the hardest part. While in there, I replace my fan bearing and related components etc. And, all the hoses and belts etc. were replaced too. Anyway, yessiree bub, that's a bit of a job, ESPECIALLY at a campsite! As much as I know about this rig, and have done this kind of work on it, more than a few times, I doubt seriously I'd attempt it at a campsite but, then again, given the conditions you faced, I have to applaud your performance and especially, the CEO too! What a trooper!
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1174.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	312841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1180.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	312842  

Name:	IMG_1202.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	312843   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1203.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	312844  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #5

Quote:

Very nice work and write up. You got a keeper in that DW of yours. Question: was there absolutely no way you could have removed the engine fan from in side the bedroom hatch? I can on mine, but not sure if I could remove the water pump from that position?
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:12 PM   #6

Each diesel coach is different. What's somewhat accessible in one, is no where near accessible in another, even though they might have the same engine and or chassis. Even with the same vendor, there's lots of interior layout differences that prevent even some access while other models of the same vendor, do quite well in providing room for access. In our coach, the '04 Horizon, it's virtually impossible to do any front engine work from the bedroom. I can do alternator, turbo and other mid and rear engine maintenance and work, but nothing on or near the front.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Each diesel coach is different. What's somewhat accessible in one, is no where near accessible in another, even though they might have the same engine and or chassis. Even with the same vendor, there's lots of interior layout differences that prevent even some access while other models of the same vendor, do quite well in providing room for access. In our coach, the '04 Horizon, it's virtually impossible to do any front engine work from the bedroom. I can do alternator, turbo and other mid and rear engine maintenance and work, but nothing on or near the front.
Scott
Oh I know. I've replaced my PacBrake from the bedroom and also installed a Source Engineering engine fan believe it or not from one of the bedroom hatches.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:26 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info.

I had my water pump replaced this past spring. A mobile 'Cat' mechanic did mine infront of my house. He did the work from the bottom rather than removing the rad. In and out in 7 hours, he was a very well experienced mechanic.

I had offered to remove the rad but he was adamant that it wasnt required...
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:09 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Follow-up to Cat 3126 water pump replacement

Since our RV park replacement job, and radiator and CAC cleaning in December, we have travelled from SoCal to Reno via US395, through Donner Pass to San Francisco, and now up through Tehachapi. The water temperature has not gone above 197, whereas previously, 218 was inevitable on the grades. The only problem I’ve seen is the dash heat doesn’t get as hot as before.

An interesting note:
The pivot bolt was broken off the water pump belt tensioner by a mechanic who didn’t disclose his error to me. He had just cranked down the adjustment bolt to hold the tensioner in place. The new water pump came with a larger pulley, so I couldn’t fit the tensioner on if I wanted to. Fitting the new belt on took some effort, but the larger pulley takes up the slack. I cannot adjust it, but the belt is working just fine. Apparently, the belt doesn’t need to be drum tight, as it is working fine. I have a new tensioner in case I need to visit this again, but it seems good so far.
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Since our RV park replacement job and radiator and CAC cleaning in December, we have travelled from SoCal to Reno via US395, through Donner Pass to San Francisco, and now up through Tehachapi. The water temperature has not gone above 197, whereas previously, 218 was inevitable on the grades. The only problem I’ve seen is the dash heat doesn’t get as hot as before.

An interesting note:
The pivot bolt was broken off the water pump belt tensioner by a mechanic who didn’t disclose his error to me. He had just cranked down the adjustment bolt to hold the tensioner in place. The new water pump came with a larger pulley, so I couldn’t fit the tensioner on if I wanted to. Fitting the new belt on took some effort, but the larger pulley takes up the slack. I cannot adjust it, but the belt is working just fine. Apparently, the belt doesn’t need to be drum tight, as it is working fine. I have a new tensioner in case I need to visit this again, but it seems good so far.
I just completed a lot of maintenance on my 3126B, 1998 Damon Ultrasport. The pivot bolt on my water pump tensioner had been broken at some point in the past. I figured it out when I was putting it back together, and the directions I found listed two bolts. My pivot bolt was snapped such that it still sticks out the block and acts as a pivot spot. Had I known it was broken when I had the radiator and CAC out, I would have fixed it, but at the point I figured it out, there was not enough room to get at it properly.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSchultze View Post
I just completed a lot of maintenance on my 3126B, 1998 Damon Ultrasport. The pivot bolt on my water pump tensioner had been broken at some point in the past. I figured it out when I was putting it back together, and the directions I found listed two bolts. My pivot bolt was snapped such that it still sticks out the block and acts as a pivot spot. Had I known it was broken when I had the radiator and CAC out, I would have fixed it, but at the point I figured it out, there was not enough room to get at it properly.
I'd be very tempted to try and fit a second bolt into the front cover through the arc of the tension adjuster , to make sure the adjuster is tight and cant deflect , tearing up the belt .
Green arrow is the second possible location , yellow is the existing tensioner lock bolt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0586 (480x640).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	316932  
Old 02-03-2021, 07:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I'd be very tempted to try and fit a second bolt into the front cover through the arc of the tension adjuster , to make sure the adjuster is tight and cant deflect , tearing up the belt .
Green arrow is the second possible location , yellow is the existing tensioner lock bolt.
Thanks for the suggestion. I gave that a try when I figured out the other bolt was broken, but there are not enough threads (or they are damaged) in this hole to engage the bolt and snug up.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:43 AM   #13

I had my pivot bolt break when I was trying to replace the water pump belt. Since you can't get to it any which way major project. In the process I found that the radiator needs to be replaced. Still searching for one since Freightliner part # 1101862 is $2100. I'll replace the hoses, belts, belt tensioner, water pump belt pulley, ect, ect. Finding the right parts and numbers has been a problem. If anybody has some numbers send them my way. Thanks Ray
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
I had my pivot bolt break when I was trying to replace the water pump belt. Since you can't get to it any which way major project. In the process I found that the radiator needs to be replaced. Still searching for one since Freightliner part # 1101862 is $2100. I'll replace the hoses, belts, belt tensioner, water pump belt pulley, ect, ect. Finding the right parts and numbers has been a problem. If anybody has some numbers send them my way. Thanks Ray
I replaced everything you listed except the radiator recently. I went online to Cat Parts and looked up the parts specific to my serial number. I bought some from Cat and some from an online company - Heavy Duty Pros. Almost all of the hoses are from Freighliner and also specific to the VIN.

Tags
ace, cat, pump, replace, replacement, water, water pump