Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #1

What to look for in C7 powered coaches

I am currently looking at two C7 powered coaches. One is a 2006 Coachman SC Elite, 350 HP, original owner with just under 20k miles. This coach just had its first oil change done this year

The second unit, a 2005 Fleetwood Expedition, 300 HP with just over 70K. Its a two owner unit, which i have yet to meet with and obtain any maintenance records.

Its is clear to me that i must obtain maintenance records for both of these units. Other than the owners providing that data to me, Is it possible to get maintenance records through CAT or Freighliner with a coach VIN number or so?

What else should I be doing, looking at or worrying about so that I buy the most reliable, trouble free unit?

Thanks
LouieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #2

JMHO; Steer clear of a rig that went that long on the factory oil.
If the owner didn't do oil changes , chances are nothing else got done either. Coolant change , first valve adjustment, etc.

Cat and F/L won't have any records of work not done at an authorized facility. So that's probably a dead end.
Tires , if original, are at the end of their lifespan, on both units.
Hope you get better info, and luck, on the second unit.
Do you know how to read the tire codes for production date ?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #3

LouieL,
I'm certainly no expert on the CAT C-7. And, as far as the coaches (brands and models), I'm not much help there either. But, in terms of experience with the C-7, since we purchased our coach, about a little over three years ago, we've put right at 15K miles on it since. We bought it with 40K on the clock and, it's hovering around 55-56K now. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and, Allison 3000MH trans.

It's been a great motor so far. It's not the most powerful unit out there. None of them are in this size/HP/torque range. It does good for what it is. Our coach is right around, 26,120 lbs. loaded and ready for travel. The toad, a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab weighing right at, 5,300 lbs. and, it's carrying a Honda GL 1800 Goldwing on a Rampage lift, in the back of it. So, we're dragging behind us, around 6,500 lbs.

That C-7, moves all of this mass, pretty darn well, on all but the steep grades. On those, it hunkers down to anywhere near 45 mph or so, depending on length and steepness of each grade.

But, as stated, it's been a great motor. We didn't receive too much in terms of "service records" when we purchased our coach. A tiny bit here and there in some of the paper work. The motor ran good, started fine, charged the chassis and house batteries fine, stayed relatively cool during most operating conditions, got a tad warm on some grades, made no out-of-the-ordinary noises during running or, idling, all gauges worked and put out standard data for operating conditions, built up air pressure at a fairly fast rate when bled down for a test, etc.

So, it's a good motor. The torque is the exact same on all three C-7 engines, 860 ft. lbs., whether it be a 300HP or, the 330HP or, the 350HP version. There's a ton of them out there and for the most part, trouble free engines. The predecessor, the 3126, is also a good engine. There's reports of a few C-7s having issues with the "HEUI" pump. That pump, is the main fuel injection pump and, operates under extreme conditions. You can look them up and find quite a bit of info on that subject.

CAT made some changes in their engines when ceasing the production of the 3126 and moving on to the C-7. Again, lots of info on just what was changed and improved. I think you'll not go wrong with either of those coaches. I'm a fan of bigger engines and more HP because I tow heavy weight but, we bought what we bought and, it's been working sufficiently ever since. No complaints.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:47 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=LouieL;2215943]I am currently looking at two C7 powered coaches. One is a 2006 Coachman SC Elite, 350 HP, original owner with just under 20k miles. This coach just had its first oil change done this year

Ouch 8 years on the same oil and 20 K?
That would give me pause for sure.
Fig on starting at the front bumper and working your way to the rear bumper changing all fluids,filters, and belts then you have tires and batteries. That will give you a base line to work from, next a valve adjustment needs to be done in short order.
The Cat HEUI pump which is a high pressure oil pump to operate the injectors demands very clean oil and a very good oil filter and the injectors need very clean fuel and very good fuel filters to stay out of trouble.
Cat engines give very good service if they are taken care of with often
oil and filter changes in the order of 5,000 to 6,000 miles or one year
changes which ever comes first.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #5

I would keep looking on both coaches. As stated the C7 and all the Cat motors need to have the oil changed around 5000mi because of the pump and injectors.
That one is for the books 20k on the first oil change
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #6

Wonder if you could get a hell of a deal on the one just having its first oil change, pocket the dollars and call it your insurance fund. Depends on how motivated the seller is I guess....
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Wonder if you could get a hell of a deal on the one just having its first oil change, pocket the dollars and call it your insurance fund. Depends on how motivated the seller is I guess....

But my friend brought to my attention that I may have "misheard" the coach owner. My friend stated that he too asked about the frequency of the oil changes.The owner replied that its had regular oil changes long before the interval and just changed it recently.

Ill need to clarify.

Thanks for everyone for their assistance. If I should be asking for any other information please let me know.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #8

both units are great but find out where they spent their years and low miles aren't always the best.
if any one spent extended periods along the coast sea air is the worst it eats and rusts everthing,if the chrome mirrors have blisters in it don't buy it and also another way is look at the metal at your hot water tank and your frame.if your not sure hire a surveyor or somebody that knows.
good luck
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #9

Well I passed on both units and purchased exactly what I always wanted. A 2006 Discovery with a 330 cat. 27k miles and decent maintenance records. Needs a few things but were very excited. Thanks all for the help.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
[QUOTE=wb7auk;2216321]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieL View Post
Ouch 8 years on the same oil and 20 K?
That would give me pause for sure.
I've been running the same oil for 3 years now, but have done an oil analysis each year and it comes back to "run it another 5,000 miles and recheck".
But, even though they say it's still good it WILL get changed before the winter arrives here. Fall arrives tomorrow night between 7:00 and 8:00 pm.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
While the change of oil in a diesel is not cheap. A major repair on a C-7 can be very expensive. I change the oil and filter yearly. I probably don't have to but I know I've done my part toward the maintenance.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #12

Isn't that what the analysis is for?
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power