Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #15

4travlin,

Thanks. I did just that.

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #16
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteve View Post
Kix,
Yes, the radius of the bit could be seen to match that of any corner of the oil pan. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'm fairly certain the bits aren't part of the oil pan gasket. The bits are probably narrower than the pan bolts. And, there are no tell-tales that would point to even a minor oil leak.
Thanks, Steve
Oil pan gaskets aren't always as wide as the diameter of the pan attaching bolts. Some gaskets make a "U" shape around the bolt holes.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I think the scale here is a problem. If they came out of the oil filter holes they are small, not as large as an oil pan gasket. Are they rubber or cork? and give us a ruler for scale-size. I'm betting small rubber like was said part of the older oil filter. And were caught before entering the oiling system. Or maybe a case of black worms.

LEN
Old 03-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You ask about two terms.

Front cover: An engine often has a front cover, this is on the Front (NON transmission end) of the engine, it covers the timing chain or gears. I'm not sure if there is oil behind it or not since it's been a long, long time since I pulled one (more years than I care to comment on)

Overhead Galley, Basically that would be inside the valve covers "Galley" in this case is a place where oil is fed to. Like the rockers
Old 03-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #19

Len,

From the OP...
Quote:
The grid is 1/4". The material is green with a brown core, is fibrous, somewhat flexible and is 1/16" thick.
That makes one just over an inch long and the other around 2 inches and each is a quarter inch thick. They are neither cork nor rubber. They seem to be fibrous and quite hard. While somewhat flexible, they are fairly rigid. I think it's unlikely they came from the filter.

I like the worms idea. Just need to add a few fish to the oil. Problem solved.

Steve
Old 03-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #20

Oops!!

Quote:
one just over an inch long and the other around 2 inches and each is a quarter inch thick
I should have said each is a quarter inch WIDE, not thick. They are 1/16 inch thick.

Steve
Old 03-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #21

Spoke with Nathan at the CAT RV Help Line. He gave me the part number (233-7654) of the Oil Cooler gasket he thought might be the source of the bits I found.

Went to the CAT Center he suggested and showed them the bits. Dave at Empire Power Systems in Tucson came to the same conclusion. He pulled a gasket from stock and there was a match (see attachment). He asked John, a mechanic, to have a look. He agreed. He also saw no danger in running the engine, so that's a relief.

Lots of smart fellows at CAT!

Now we figure out what to do about it. Hopefully it's an issue the warranty covers. That's another story.

Thanks for your interest and help,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	18795  
Old 03-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #22
KIX

Figuring out where ti came from didn't turn out to be too hard.......let's hope getting it fixed under warranty is at least just as easy
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #23

After a day or two getting the warranty info straight between Fleetwood and Freightliner, then Freightliner and CATand after a missed FAX or so, made an appointment at the suggested CAT Service Center.

Alas, that was a swing and a miss. "Gotta leave it overnight" was the call.

A new appointment was made after explaining that this RV was home. Had to be there by 7AM though.

I was.

The job started at 8 and took about 7 hours to complete. Probably would have taken 2 hours had the Tech not been working 2 other jobs at the same time. Draining the coolant took the most time.

All of the bits were accounted for. The Tech said he'd never seen that before, so I'm hopeful it won't happen again. Had a coolant leak when I got home. Tightened the clamp on the hose removed to drain the coolant, and all was well. Only lost 2 quarts.

The only "not too hard" part of this was not too hard only due to the extremely sharp folks on the CAT RV help line. If not for them, who knows....

Steve
Old 04-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #24

Steve, I found this thread way late as I see your now all fixed up. I hope that the Cat shop checked the oil cooler for warp and that the new gasket holds for the life of the engine. The gasket parts you found were too big to have come from the pan ; through the pick up screen and oil pump; so the point of origin had to be between the pump and the filter.
Keep a close eye for repeat failure, and keep your service records for this repair. If you have a failure after the warrenty then you would have a case for an extended warrenty of this part and the cooler.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #25

Skip,

I'll be certain to keep the records.

To be honest, I don't know what they checked. The Tech did do a good job cleaning things up for reassembly, so I can only hope he checked the cooler for proper form and function.

Even though all of the major bits of the gasket were accounted for, there were a few minor ones that weren't and may well have been shed earlier and were captured by previous filters. You can bet your sweet bippy (remember that phrase?) that every future oil filter change will involve a destructive inspection of the filter.

I do plan to purchase CAT's extended engine warranty in the next 6 months or so--if they'll let me.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #26

Yes those were exactly the oil cooler gaskets pieces. The C7 does not have very many "green" gaskets. They were likely from a previous repair because their failure will generally cause oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil. They are sandwiched between the oil cooler (steel plates that are smooth and hard to get a gasket to stick to, although cross-cut sanding marks help) and the block and the aluminum cooler cover which is the filter base as well. So if you have anything in the filter then it has to come from that cooler/ filter base section.

You might consider asking the CAT dealer for a SIMSi report or a TMI sheet and see if you can find when and where that repair had previously been done.
TooTallTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #27

TooTallTrucks (can I call you T3),

As soon as the CAT boys said "Oil Cooler Gasket", one of my major freak-out moments (there were several) was oil in the coolant and vice-versa. As soon as they told me it was OK to run the engine, I changed the coolant as I had already planned to do. No sign of oil in the coolant just as there was no sign of coolant in the oil when I changed that. WHEW!!

To replace the gasket, the coolant was drained and again, no sign of oil. WHEWx2!!

Next chance I get, I'll see what I can do about getting whatever info might exist on a previous repair. We're on-the-road right now.

What do you think the chances are that this gasket was installed during the original engine assembly?

Thanks for chiming in,
Steve
Old 05-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #28

It is deffinatly installed at the factory. I would belive that there was a previous failure and the tech missed a piece of the gasket...RV's have such good lighting!!

This is what they look like when apart, this one I changed under warranty and it was around 20k miles on a C7S and it was split and cracked when I seperated the housing. The aluminum housing on the right and the "smooth" cooler on the left.

They are such high heat applications that they are almost always "fall apart" upon removal, like injector orings, as you dissassemble they crumble.

I found a piece of an exhaust sleeve from a C15 jammed in a turbo, 2 years after the current owner bought it...so it was there from a previous failure. The most important thing I learned from working on warranty items for CAT was to find the part causing failure, not just " it was broke, now it's fixed" because then you have sloppy things like you found. Probably just missed a piece of the gasket during clean up.

Joe
TooTallTruck is offline   Reply With Quote