Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #1

What's this??

Was changing the oil yesterday in the ol' C7. When I removed the filter, this is what I found sticking out of two of the filter inlet holes (see photo).

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	18699

Looks to be parts of a gasket, but I don't know. There can't be too much between the oil pump outlet and the filter inlet, so I'm hopeful there's no damage other than these errant bits.

Obviously I need to get in touch with CAT, but that will have to wait 'till Monday. I have no plans to run the engine either.

Anyone have a clue? The grid is 1/4". The material is green with a brown core, is fibrous, somewhat flexible and is 1/16" thick.

Anyone have contact info for CAT?

Thanks,
Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
looks like part of a valve cover or oil pan gasket
Old 03-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #3

Are there any obvious oil leaks around the engine? If a head or pan gasket was missing that much gasket you'd think you would see some oil seepage, no?
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #4

Bob,

No, nothing to speak of in the obvious oil leak department. There were no indications of a problem.

I'm thinking that had these bits been collected from the sump and run through the oil pump, they'd have been ground into much smaller bits. So, maybe the bits are from something internal and between the pump outlet and the filter inlet. There are some score/grind marks on the shorter bit, so who knows what they went through on the way to the filter.

By-the-way, in the picture, the left bit appears to have a piece missing from it on the left of the lowest point, but does not appear to have any missing pieces continuing downward. In other words, it doesn't look like the end of the downward section is the end of the item.

Steve
Old 03-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2nd, or and add a "Front cover" gasket, though those almost never show up that way.

Good chance you do not have a problem. Good chance the gasket was messed up and part of it was simply dropped in the pan and somehow made it through the pump.....

Or that it fell down from the overhead galley. But if you are not leaking oil, you very likely do not have a problem.

You do... However.. have a valid complaint.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #6

wa8yxm,

Come again?

Quote:
2nd, or and add a "Front cover" gasket, though those almost never show up that way.
Quote:
Or that it fell down from the overhead galley.
I'm not up with your terminology.

I hope you're right about the bits being leftovers. This is the first time I"VE done the oil change. It's been done every year since we bought it in '08, including as a "to do" item on the pre-delivery list, but by the dealer(s). At least I paid for them to be done.

I wonder...

Steve
Old 03-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It could be part of the previous gasket on the oil filter. A lot of times if the filter is tightened really tight and then you remove it part of the gasket will break apart. This might of been the case with yours. Have you had any other type of work done? Like had the valves adjusted? Other than the old filter gasket not sure what to think of this.

Good luck
Old 03-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #8

I'm pretty sure these bits aren't from an oil filter, but, right now, I'm ruling out nothing.

But, another view of the picture might be helpful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	18715
Old 03-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #9

Lots of good replies on "what is it".

Any offerings on CAT contacts?

Steve
Old 03-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #10

Were there any previous repairs done? Maybe a tech cleaning gasket material and it falling into the engine?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #11

To the best of my knowledge, aside from routine service there has been no maintenance performed on this engine. However, the coach did sit on the lot for a year before we bought it. Who knows?

Steve
Old 03-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
KIX

Does the rounded corner piece match the rounded corner (any of them) of your oil pan?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #13

Steve,
Have you tryed to post this pic. over on the Cat RV engine club site? They have been a great help to us when we needed info on a off the wall problem. There should be someone that will have a contact number for you to call even if no one has a good answer to were this gasket came from. Here is a link:CAT RV Club
4travlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #14

KIX,

Yes, the radius of the bit could be seen to match that of any corner of the oil pan. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'm fairly certain the bits aren't part of the oil pan gasket. The bits are probably narrower than the pan bolts. And, there are no tell-tales that would point to even a minor oil leak.

Thanks,
Steve