Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2020, 09:10 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Whistling Air Dryer on Cat C9

Hello Friends,

On our 2007 Revolution LE 40E we have a Cat C9 diesel. Love the engine and its one year pre emissions.

My wife was following me from the fuel station yesterday and she said she could hear a very loud whistling coming from the back of the coach. Load enough she could hear it driving down the highway. I thought she was imagining it and disregarded it. When I parked the coach at home and shut it off, the whistling was very loud and coming from engine bay. When I checked, it was coming from the Air Dryer. It slowly died down and then stopped in a minute but it definitely was coming from the air dryer. I could not find any air coming out when this was happening. This is your basic Meritor Air Dryer. I changed the filter this Spring as well if that matters.

Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands View Post
Hello Friends,

On our 2007 Revolution LE 40E we have a Cat C9 diesel. Love the engine and its one year pre emissions.

My wife was following me from the fuel station yesterday and she said she could hear a very loud whistling coming from the back of the coach. Load enough she could hear it driving down the highway. I thought she was imagining it and disregarded it. When I parked the coach at home and shut it off, the whistling was very loud and coming from engine bay. When I checked, it was coming from the Air Dryer. It slowly died down and then stopped in a minute but it definitely was coming from the air dryer. I could not find any air coming out when this was happening. This is your basic Meritor Air Dryer. I changed the filter this Spring as well if that matters.

Any ideas?
Loose filter?
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #3

They should have a pop off blow down valve that may not be closing off. Believe you can buy them for about $20.
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:23 PM   #4
Cat

There is a emergency pop off valve, it opens if the air governor doesn't unload the air compressor to protect the system. Its usually mounted up higher and on the side of the air compressor. There is also a pop off valve on the bottom of the air dryer, it should pop off every time the air governor reaches the correct tank pressure. It pops off to dump the moisture captured by air dryer. The emergency pop off should never be opening. The dump pop off, should immediately shut off. Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwyatt View Post
They should have a pop off blow down valve that may not be closing off. Believe you can buy them for about $20.
Thank you .
Old 11-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
There is a emergency pop off valve, it opens if the air governor doesn't unload the air compressor to protect the system. Its usually mounted up higher and on the side of the air compressor. There is also a pop off valve on the bottom of the air dryer, it should pop off every time the air governor reaches the correct tank pressure. It pops off to dump the moisture captured by air dryer. The emergency pop off should never be opening. The dump pop off, should immediately shut off. Safe Travels
Thank you. It sounded like it was at the air dryer so I will check out the pop off valve on the bottom of the unit. Might just not be closing 100% and if open even a whisker it would shriek pretty loudly.

Thank you.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:32 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
This happened on mine on the interstate, I got a low air warning and the air bags dropped down. I pulled over, heard the noise and just pecked the pop off with a hammer, system aired right up and I was able to get home to find out why I had too much pressure.

Tags
air, cat