Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2500 Allison trans

Has anyone add an extra cooler for the 2500 Allison trans
If so how big of a job is it

Thanks
garyclegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think that the Allison 1000 series transmissions and the 2000 series transmissions have the same external dimensions.

I needed more cooling capacity on my Allison 1000M and chose to add a deeper finned aluminum transmission pan. I am happy with the results. It is a much easier change than adding a traditional additional radiator.

See this: https://www.ppediesel.com/shop/heavy...128051000.html

Contact them for compatibility.

My sump temps run about 140F when towing a Jeep behind my 34' motorhome on flat ground with outside temps in the 90's. I've never seen temps above 210F even on long steep grades with outside temps in the 90's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0212.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	260669  
Old 09-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
I think that the Allison 1000 series transmissions and the 2000 series transmissions have the same external dimensions.

I needed more cooling capacity on my Allison 1000M and chose to add a deeper finned aluminum transmission pan. I am happy with the results. It is a much easier change than adding a traditional additional radiator.

See this: https://www.ppediesel.com/shop/heavy...128051000.html

Contact them for compatibility.

My sump temps run about 140F when towing a Jeep behind my 34' motorhome on flat ground with outside temps in the 90's. I've never seen temps above 210F even on long steep grades with outside temps in the 90's.

Thank you
Old 09-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyclegg View Post
Thank you

Just curious what were they before you change the pan
Old 09-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #5

My coach is 3 months old if I change the oil pan will that void the warranty
Old 09-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Just curious what were they before you change the pan
Unfortunately I didn't have a temperature gauge before I installed the pan. I had an incident where the instrument panel warned me of transmission over temperature. I was climbing the west side of Wolf Creek Pass towing a Jeep.

I settled on the pan option rather than the external cooler because I didn't want to cut into the lines. I installed the temp gauge when I installed the pan.

Most users report about 20F decrease in sump temperatures. When I compared my sump temps with those reported by others here I see about the same reduction.

You would have to contact your chassis supplier or possibly Allison to determine if you would void your warranty.

Why do you think you need an auxiliary cooler?

If you choose to go this route you can get the pan MUCH cheaper on Amazon.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Unfortunately I didn't have a temperature gauge before I installed the pan. I had an incident where the instrument panel warned me of transmission over temperature. I was climbing the west side of Wolf Creek Pass towing a Jeep.

I settled on the pan option rather than the external cooler because I didn't want to cut into the lines. I installed the temp gauge when I installed the pan.

Most users report about 20F decrease in sump temperatures. When I compared my sump temps with those reported by others here I see about the same reduction.

You would have to contact your chassis supplier or possibly Allison to determine if you would void your warranty.

Why do you think you need an auxiliary cooler?

If you choose to go this route you can get the pan MUCH cheaper on Amazon.

Will be towing a little bit heavier toad. Thank you for the information
Old 09-19-2019, 08:07 AM   #8

I have order the bigger pan, should be here next week. What can I do with the old oil
Old 09-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I have order the bigger pan, should be here next week. What can I do with the old oil
Hi Gary,

If I read correctly, your coach is new. Allison uses the Transynd TES-295 approved fluids in your transmission. You can't find anything better than what is in it! This stuff is expensive!

I would get all my catch pans immaculately clean, drain the pan install the new pan then return the fluid to the transmission. This pan holds about 1 qt more than the stock pan so you will have to add a qt. Harbor Freight and others sell a pump that fits into a standard 5 quart oil bottle. Get a long tube from Lowes etc. Clamp the tube outlet to the pump and pump away. It is difficult to get it in any other way.

While you are at it, change the external filter. Don't forget to move the magnet from the top of the old filter to the new one. It sort of looks like a gasket.

If you want new oil, Pep Boys recycles oil. There are other facilities that do as well.

This isn't difficult but be sure to keep EVERYTHING spotless. Don't introduce dirt into the transmission.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #10

Should have everything by the end of next week, will give it a go
Will be going to New Orleans second week in Oct should be a good test

Thank you for all your help
Old 09-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary...what year, make and model do you have?

I agree with yeloduster...put that TES295 fluid back in.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Gary...what year, make and model do you have?

I agree with yeloduster...put that TES295 fluid back in.

2019 Holiday Rambler Navigator 38F
Old 09-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #13

Quote:
2019 Holiday Rambler Navigator 38F

Change the transmission oil pan to the bigger one last night, did a test run this morning so far everything looks good

Tags
allison