Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2023, 05:22 PM   #1

53 F800 8.3 Cummins and Allison Md3560 transmission trouble

Hello and thank you for allowing my membership.
I am in process of transforming my 1953 F800 Big Job into my daily hauler. I have installed an 8.3l Cummins that I overhauled and fit into the chassis. I purchased from a salvage yard a MD 3560 with a WTEC ll controller. Presumably removed from a working county truck. The transmission is installed along with a new driveline which attaches to my 4.11 rear end that came out of my L8000 ford dump truck. The engine came from the same truck as well as the front axle with power steering and wiring harness. This particular truck did have an option for this transmission which made the connection to the existing wire harness reasonably easy.

First issue after hook up. Code 44 13. Solenoid B short to ground. Ran through the trouble shooting in wire harness external of the transmission and found no faults. Only thing external to the transmission that I found was that pin “J” on the transmission connector had continuity with pin “W”. Wiring diagram showed pin W was signal ground to c3 pressure switch. After speaking with the parts department at Weller he said I would probably need a new wire harness so I decided to lower the pan and check it out and see if I could locate the short.
What I found was that pin W was in fact wired to solenoid B along with pin J wire. There were two wires on the connector to the positive side W and J. All the wire diagrams that I have located via the web have only J going to solenoid and of course wire (pin) H ground for both B and E solenoids. Ground for c3 pressure switch was coming from N which was also the ground for the temp sensor.
To fix this to match the wire diagram I removed W from B solenoid and installed a new wire replacing the ground to c3 with a new wire from Pin W. The ground for the temp sensor (per the wire diagram) was also to have a ground wire to the oil level sensor. My transmission does not have this option so I now only have a ground wire from N to the temp sensor.
Put assembly back together after complete through cleaning including the interior wire mesh sump filter. More on what I found there later.
Reinstalled pan and fluid and code was no longer. Hopefully I didn’t brake some cardinal rule about fixing a internal wire harness on an Allison transmission!! Haha
I don’t completely understand WHY pin W and pin J were to the plus side of B solenoid.

On to my current codes: 66 00. Code that is serial interface issue. States “ Main code 66 indicates the ECU is expecting to get its throttle position sensor (TPS) signal across a serial communication interface from a computer-controlled engine. Either the engine computer is not sending the TPS information or the wiring between the engine and transmission computers has failed.”.
Problem is I DON’T have a engine computer. I have a cable driven TPS.
ALSO CODE 22 15 and code 22 14. Both speed sensor related turbine speed sensor ( internal on my transmission) and engine speed sensor. I have removed the engine speed sensor and it has approximately 300 ohms. Book says that that is GOOD.
For a side note I checked the trans fluid level and it is low. It is below the cold add line. I will add to full in the morning after trip to the store.
Truck is in shop with rear wheels off the ground.
With cleared codes:
Engine start. Both N over N is shown on my lever shifter. Attempt to shift to D and shows 6 flashing. Shift back to Neutral and N over N no flashing. Shift again to D and 6 appears (no flashing) and then 2. Remove foot slightly from brake and rear tires turning in second. But top letter disappears and transmission is stuck in 2. Remains in gear (2) even when shifting back to neutral. Shut key off and above codes are shown. Erase codes and repeat sometimes it locks up and stalls engine.

I know when I received the transmission on the pallet and started investigating I found that the wire harness that was on the transmission plug was all white wires with numbers on each wire and the ECU AND VIM box has colored coded wires with numbers. I shortened and spliced all wires together with heat shrink. The reason for me to tell you all this was the code 66 00 which refers to a engine computer interface.

Any and all help would Greatly be appreciated as I have little to NO experience specifically with Allison Transmissions.
I just wanted an automatic so that others can drive the truck.

The internal filter I alluded to earlier had clutch material as well as two teeth ( presumably from one of the steels. When I had the pan off c5 clutch pack was apparently where the clutch material came from (just from my visual inspection of the frictions). The other clutches did not “seem” worn and their clutch packs were tighter together.
I do intend on rebuilding the transmission but I was hoping to get the bugs worked out and get it driving. The whole truck will be rotisseried and restored. The frame and cab are devoid of any rust short of surface. It is a survivor from the high country of Colorado where they don’t use salt. I am in Michigan and will be doing everything to it to keep it in its current glory!!
If you have knowledge that could educate me to getting this old girl rolling I would Greatly appreciate it.
Rehpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2023, 10:25 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2

From the sounds of the trouble shooting/repairs in your post you have the WTEC II diagnostic manual ( pdf), however I haven't heard of the transmission series (3560 ) being used in a motor home chassis ( 3060, 3000, 4000 are common on older chassis)
So I'm not sure if members here in iRV2 are going to be able to provide any meaningful help .
Old 03-14-2023, 04:59 AM   #3

Found two things out yesterday. I had the engine speed sensor and output speed sensor swapped. Caused some crazy transmission output.
Also found out that I need a reprogramming of the computer so that it identifies the TPS INPUT instead of engine computer input.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:22 PM   #4

Sounds like it will be a cool truck once you get it finished.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:59 PM   #5

I can’t help, but would love to see some pictures.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:32 PM   #6

First drive

https://youtu.be/4bYWpprnF9w
Old 03-19-2023, 09:17 PM   #7

Very cool
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, cummins, transmission