Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2020, 09:27 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonandRoy View Post
R. Word, you’d better hope the government doesn’t see your post they’ll require Class A owners to get their specialized CDL and require RV specific training. Of course these things will be free of charge and not taxed.
Honestly for the safety of us all I’m shocked by the lack of laws regarding coaches weighing over 26,000 lbs and no specialized driver training, air brake endorsement etc. This is just driving not anything about the basic mechanical side of a big diesel Motorhome which is a truck. Here NC an RV over 26,000 the operator has to have Class B modified CDL with an air brake endorsement. However of all the folks I know I’m the only one has one. Scary
i’ve had a comercial license for over 35 years and spent that time caring for and depending on diesel powered emergency apparatus with air brakes etc. So my frame of reference is a little different than the norm.

But I’m still surprised about once a week by a post or thread here that tells me exactly what you are saying. I try to be empathetic about it in my responses because I understand why the situation exists, but I still find it a bit mind boggling. I just keep that part to myself.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2020, 07:39 AM   #44

Hi there,
I agree with you that anyone operating a “big rig” should have the proper qualifications and not just a fat wallet.
When I was working as a trucker, I saw lots of close calls and angry drivers due to the clueless actions of many RV drivers.
roaminranch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:58 AM   #45

not true...my ISL 400 has an exhaust brake.
Savage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:55 AM   #46

Just did Camp Freightliner via zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTobey View Post
Please sign up for Camp Freightliner! Well worth your time and the $$ for all the info you get. Plus, if you take it at the factory Oasis center in Gaffney, they'll tell you exactly what's happening. Great folks, and willing to help you out. They build the chassis just across town. You can even tour the plant, if they are opened back up...
I just did the new virtual Camp Frightliner where you stay at home and the two day class was done via zoom. It was OK, but was a little disappointed. I live in Western South Dakota and getting to South Carolina was proving to be difficult. So I was pleased that they were doing it virtually. First the price is the same, even though you obviously do not get the two lunches and the dinner. Forget about the promised hat or t-shirt. They will simply send you a thumb drive with the literature on it. I requested that I wanted a paper manual to keep for reference and make notes in. They really balked at that saying they do not print them anymore, but would see if they could find one. I did get one so insist if you take the class. There were several people in Pacific time zone so they started the class 3 hours late (compared to eastern time) but ended at near their regular time so we did not get all the class time promised. Seemed like the instructor had to rush thru parts of it. It was still ok, but I feel not as good as the reviews I have seen on the in house class and could have been run better.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #47

when everything else fails read the manual
allielips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Exhaust brakes have an "Enable" switch (on/off) and that is it. No high low.
When you use the term Jake you confuse the explanation because Jake makes an exhaust brake and a compression brake.
I advise the OP to try and find an owners manual and read it cover to cover. Usually the manuals provided with the coach are from the 3rd party vendors of the part/system and will tune you up.
We have a 2018 Entegra Aspire. It in fact has a two speed Jake Brake, High & Low. The Cornerstone's with the 605 HP Cummins have a 3 level Jake brake. Not that the OP's coach has a two level brake some in fact do. Read your manuals for YOUR coach. Not all are the same.
jloftice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #49

IMHO there is a difference between driving a 40,000 lb DP and a 80,000 lb fully loaded semi.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #50

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fottip View Post
Nope - wrong. Our '12 Allegro Bus exhaust brake DOES have High/Lo/Off switch settings, and it's not a "Jake" brake.
Quote:
Since it's not made by Jacobs, would you mind telling us who did make it?
Since it's been awhile, I'm guessing that we'll never know.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:24 AM   #51

I have a '15 Fleetwood Excursion, my shift by wire system (SBW) failed within the 3 year Freightliner Warranty period. It would shift into reverse but not into drive. I had it towed to the Allison dealer in Albuquerque (talked to the Freightliner dealer before hand and they said if its transmission related all they would do is remove and replace transmission, so figured I was safer going directly to Allison shop). Bill came to about $1750 which I had to pay Allison. Then I turned it in to my local Freightliner dealer and they got Freightliner to re-imbursed me for all but $300 from Freightliner. I'm satisfied with that.

Also, agree Camp Freightliner is well worth the cost. Attended a few years ago in Gaffney.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:45 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Virtual can never be as good as being there, just as pictures can never replace "hands on" experience. Sorry you had to do it that way. Suffice it to say that at least you have a bit more knowledge than before, even if it wasn't as it should have been. Now you must apply the knowledge you have gained, and contact them if you need additional information. Use the resources available to you to learn the correct procedures to safely operate your coach. The more you know, the more you'll appreciate your trips.
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:08 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCSONRAIL View Post
IMHO there is a difference between driving a 40,000 lb DP and a 80,000 lb fully loaded semi.
yes but there’s also a difference between driving 4500lb SUV or car with hydraulic brakes and a 40,000lb coach with air brakes and all manner of complex systems completely unfamiliar to the average automobile operator.

I operated fire apparatus and trained operators on rigs that ranged from 26,000 to 60,000 for 41 years, and the level of training required and standards for licensing (comercial drivers license before the “firefighter class B”) was considerable. Granted there were other considerations (equipment operation and emergency driving), but the basics apply very nicely to these coaches and I see specific evidence here weekly that people are frequently turned loose in vehicles they are not qualified to operate.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:45 AM   #54

Camp Freightliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTobey View Post
Virtual can never be as good as being there, just as pictures can never replace "hands on" experience. Sorry you had to do it that way. Suffice it to say that at least you have a bit more knowledge than before, even if it wasn't as it should have been. Now you must apply the knowledge you have gained, and contact them if you need additional information. Use the resources available to you to learn the correct procedures to safely operate your coach. The more you know, the more you'll appreciate your trips.
You are very correct that the gained knowledge is appreciated. It just could have been better. If they continue with the virtual with the in house classes, choose going to Gaffney if possible. I would rate the zoom course 4 stars as opposed to the 5 stars everyone else seems to give the Gaffney class. One thing I think I also missed is the meeting of the other campers in the class. I always make new friends at activities like these.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:01 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Camp Freightliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straatc View Post
You are very correct that the gained knowledge is appreciated. It just could have been better. If they continue with the virtual with the in house classes, choose going to Gaffney if possible. I would rate the zoom course 4 stars as opposed to the 5 stars everyone else seems to give the Gaffney class. One thing I think I also missed is the meeting of the other campers in the class. I always make new friends at activities like these.
You are so right. Since the classes are made up of all types of folks with various experiences, I found ours to be non-judgemental and quite helpful to folks. We just wanted to advance our knowledge as much as we could in the days we were there and take advantage of learning from OPM, other people's mistakes, not having to reinvent them and make the same mistakes over and over. I always thought there were too many new mistakes to be made to repeat the old ones. I would definitely take advantage of taking the class in person
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
not true...my ISL 400 has an exhaust brake.

OK, the Cummins ISL (8.9 liter) is the only engine that could be ordered with an exhaust brake (cheaper) or engine compression brake (more expensive/more effective).

Your coach builder/chassis builder made the choice.

Tags
allison, transmission