Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question Allison 1000 hard downshifting

Anyone have a cure for a hard shifting allison 1000 transmission. New(2011) motorhome, 2000 miles. Hard downshifting when coming to a stop. ???
jdtsr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You should take it to the service center and have it checked out and repaired under your warranty. Backyard tricks and additives will probably
void the coverage by the manufacturer.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are correct, but wondering if anyone had this problem. really didnt want to do it myself. don't think this is normal but when we test drove it, salesman didnt find it unsual.thanks for reply.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Test drive another coach like yours and compare.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:34 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtsr23 View Post
Anyone have a cure for a hard shifting allison 1000 transmission. New(2011) motorhome, 2000 miles. Hard downshifting when coming to a stop. ???
suggest you do a forum search for hard shifting.
i seem to remember something about a ''learning procedure''. i don't remember how long this takes. if memory serves, disconnecting the battery ground cable for a few??? minutes resets everything and the ally and other things have to go through the learning procedure again.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #6

Have you done any changes to your transmission> Have you just changed the fluid or something. If I drove my previous MH forever with the toad attached then took it off and drove it it would downshif hard until it relearned the way it was driving and adapted.

Read this post and especially what Allisontech wrote
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/swit...ing-78396.html
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Havent done anything to it. Just purchased MH and drove it home. 560 miles.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #8

I would take it in to Allison and have it checked and maybe reprogrammed like was talked about in the other post. Do you know if it has Dexron III or Transynd fluid in it or when the filters where changed last?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
New 2011 should certainly have transynd and no recent fluid change. Other than checking fluid level, I'd run to an Allison shop with warranty in hand.....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #10

Sorry, missed the fact that it is a 2011. Yes it has Transynd.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I wouldnt touch a 2011 tranny under warranty myself.. take it in.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does your coach have a "Touch Pad" for gear selection or gear shift lever (manual selector at steering column)?

Two things you can do are:

Discount chassis bat. for 5 mins. Reconnect bat. and drive going thru 5 cycles of upshifting to high gear and 5 times coming to a stop using meduim to light braking. Use light trottle all 5 cycles. The Allison needs to "re-learn". If it was driven hard or manually shifted when slowing down will cause hard shifts. Also did you know you have " the grade braking feature"? The Allison "learns" your braking style and this dictates how and when the "grade braking feature is actatived", IE what rpm, how hard you are appling the brakes, etc.

Check the ground at the trans to chassis to make sure connections are tight. Any loose ground or poor ground will cause your condition as the trans. ECM is very sensitive to the ground side of the ECM.

Also if you have a "Touch Pad" select shifter "you can pull up any fault codes". With ignition sw. on in the run position (engine off) push both of the top two squares (left and right) of the pad at the same time and if you have any "fault codes" they will "flash" in a sequence of "flashes". IE two flashes, a pause, then one flash, a pause, then two flashes, a longer pause, then another set or series of flashes, meaning you have more than one problem. Have a piece of paper handy to record the flash(es) and this would help the Allison Dealer tech. If you do not get any code flashes, Then there is no problem!
2004 NRV Dolphin 5355, 24' Pace Shadow trailer, inside is a "2011 Hemmings Muscle Machine of the Year" and 2011 Reno, NV. Hot August Nights "Best Restored Stock Car", 1970 Olds F85 W-31, Rally Red, 4 speed, 1 of 5 in this color, only 207 built
davebw31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This may be the first thing you thought of. If so excuse me.

My sweet little granddaughter activated the grade brake by flipping a toggle switch on the dash.

In this mode the transmission downshifts aggressively if you even touch the brake.
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote