Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #1

Allison 1000 Transmission Issue

I own a new to me 2005 National Dolphin on a 2004 Workhorse W22 Chassis with only 46k miles. Few weeks ago returning from a 1000 mile trip to Florida I had stoped at a rest area upon leaving I put the rv in drive and it acted as if it had jumped out of drive and the dash cluster panel acted as if for just a split second it had lost power. I noticed that the transmission light was on along with ABS light I turned the ignition off and then back on started fine transmission light was off but abs light remained on I was about 5 miles from home so I went ahead drove home. The following day I ordered new rotors, pads and calipers to replace the entire brake system after installing brakes, new seals and bearings flushing the break system I drained the tranny charged the fluid using Allison filter and Transynd fluid. I cleaned all the abs sensors and took it for a test drive and to break in the new pads Abs light was on in the beginning went about 300' and Abs light went out went about six miles tranny light comes on and I notice a difference like loss of power "limp Mode" I pulled over turned the ignition off for about 1 minute tranny light goes off I continue on about another 4 miles she runs great stop at red light when light changed went to accelerate and again acts like it jumped out of gear did not notice any electrical power loss on the dash cluster this time but the tranny light was back on pulled over turned the ignition of for about a minute and it was fine for another five or six miles then would repeat its self two more time before I got back home. I have called the local authorized Allison repair shop they cant get me in for about a week and half and I'm was suppose to be leaving on another adventure the middle of next week my code scanner doesn't read TCM codes however I have ordered a Tech II Clone should be here by Monday in the mean time does anyone have any ideal what might be causing this I have checked for loose electrical connections I removed the plugs from the TCM and checked all the pins all appear to be fine. Thanks in advance for any input you may have I appreciate it very much .
Best regards,

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2021, 05:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieb5346 View Post
I own a new to me 2005 National Dolphin on a 2004 Workhorse W22 Chassis with only 46k miles. Few weeks ago returning from a 1000 mile trip to Florida I had stoped at a rest area upon leaving I put the rv in drive and it acted as if it had jumped out of drive and the dash cluster panel acted as if for just a split second it had lost power. I noticed that the transmission light was on along with ABS light I turned the ignition off and then back on started fine transmission light was off but abs light remained on I was about 5 miles from home so I went ahead drove home. The following day I ordered new rotors, pads and calipers to replace the entire brake system after installing brakes, new seals and bearings flushing the break system I drained the tranny charged the fluid using Allison filter and Transynd fluid. I cleaned all the abs sensors and took it for a test drive and to break in the new pads Abs light was on in the beginning went about 300' and Abs light went out went about six miles tranny light comes on and I notice a difference like loss of power "limp Mode" I pulled over turned the ignition off for about 1 minute tranny light goes off I continue on about another 4 miles she runs great stop at red light when light changed went to accelerate and again acts like it jumped out of gear did not notice any electrical power loss on the dash cluster this time but the tranny light was back on pulled over turned the ignition of for about a minute and it was fine for another five or six miles then would repeat its self two more time before I got back home. I have called the local authorized Allison repair shop they cant get me in for about a week and half and I'm was suppose to be leaving on another adventure the middle of next week my code scanner doesn't read TCM codes however I have ordered a Tech II Clone should be here by Monday in the mean time does anyone have any ideal what might be causing this I have checked for loose electrical connections I removed the plugs from the TCM and checked all the pins all appear to be fine. Thanks in advance for any input you may have I appreciate it very much .
Best regards,

Steve
Nothing much worse than an unexplained intermittent problem. I know you said you checked all the electrical connections, but I would double check the ground attachments and make sure they are clean, as well as tight. Other than that, I'm thinking you're gonna need Allison's help because "something" isn't right. I'm not sure the Tech II will "see" everything that Allison techs can see using their equipment.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:09 PM   #3

As edgrey says and I can attest to ; erratic electrical ( electronic ) issues cost me most of my hair ; during 33 years at a Chrysler dealership ; chasing them .
I will mention that during the early years of the use of the 1000 series in Chevy trucks , water intrusion into the control module ( I believe Allison calls it a NSBU : Neutral Start Back Up : on the side of the trans would cause the trans to default to second gear , and lack of first gear could feel like neutral in a coach .
As for the relation to the ABS light , I can't think of one .
Old 05-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #4

Allison transmission issue Update

Ok I have checked and cleaned the ground wire that goes from the battery to the engine block on the passenger side then there is a flat grounding cable that goes from the engine to the frame on the rear drivers side of the engine. I have checked and cleaned the connection. their too I have checked the ground and power input at the TCM harness. My tech2 software is showing code P0880 TCM Power input signal and only throws this code after it warms up. Also throwing code P0872 Transmission Pressure Switch Solenoid E stuck or close again only when it has warmed up but here is the crazy thing turn the ignition off count to 5 start it back up go backwards and forwards a few times or until it acts like it pops out of gear throws the codes and turn it off and it does the same thing drives great and runs great until it does it again. I have added a link below to my google drive showing the snapshots from my Tec2 software the .pdf file is a log of all the data from the trans up to when it pops out of gear. If anyone has any ideals it would be greatly appreciated if you could share them with me.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...6k?usp=sharing
Old 05-15-2021, 11:15 AM   #5

I think I have figured it out.

After doing some research through the Allison service manual along with the GM Tech2 software showing code P0872 which indicates that Solenoid E is stuck or closed. According to what I have read online and In the service manual is usually due to a bad manifold pressure switch or internal trans. wiring harness. After speaking to a local authorized Allison service center and getting a quote of $1,673.42 most of that being 8 hrs. labor $1,240.00 remainder parts, shop fee, EPA fee and sales taxes, I have decided to just do the repair myself I ordered the Allison manifold pressure switch and internal wiring harness for $135.00 after watching a few youtube videos It shouldn't be that hard to drain and drop the pan and replace. This is exactly why you have to be suspicious and very careful of who your dealing with. I will post another update once I have installed the new parts.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:21 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
After doing some research through the Allison service manual along with the GM Tech2 software showing code P0872 which indicates that Solenoid E is stuck or closed. According to what I have read online and In the service manual is usually due to a bad manifold pressure switch or internal trans. wiring harness. After speaking to a local authorized Allison service center and getting a quote of $1,673.42 most of that being 8 hrs. labor $1,240.00 remainder parts, shop fee, EPA fee and sales taxes, I have decided to just do the repair myself I ordered the Allison manifold pressure switch and internal wiring harness for $135.00 after watching a few youtube videos It shouldn't be that hard to drain and drop the pan and replace. This is exactly why you have to be suspicious and very careful of who your dealing with. I will post another update once I have installed the new parts.
I hope that is your issue, does not seem to be too expensive or hard to do.

Please update your thread, looking forward to some pictures of your procedure
Old 05-31-2021, 11:22 AM   #7

Allison transmission issue Fixed

Before I put in any more money in to this issue I took some of your guys advise and decided to take it to another local authorized Allison dealer I drove it 16 miles to their shop shifted great went in limp mode one time. I left it with them they had it 10 days I called a few days later tech said he was going through the wiring called a few days later service manager stated that tech was going to pull the pan and replace the pressure switch and internal wiring harness cost $697.00 seemed fair I called the next day spoke with the tech he stated he removed the pan all looked good no trash in the pan waiting on parts. Service manager called me next day stated that new parts did not fix it and suggested that I replace the Tranny with a remanufactured tranny at low low price of $7,000.00 I said no thank you I'll be down to get it and after having a come to Jesus meeting with the service manager i did not pay them a dime they could not produce old parts or any invoices or proof where they had purchased replacement parts.

I drained the fluid and dropped the pan all looked good in the pan. Since the TCM was throwing P0872 which indicates Pressure Switch Solenoid E stuck or closed and from every thing I have read this is usually caused by dirt and debris in the valve body so I went ahead and ordered a remanufactured valve body for $399.00 which included a new pressure switch and all the solenoid's and valves in the reman unit are hydro tested to make sure they are all functioning properly I removed the old valve body and installed the new valve body replaced the internal filter cleaned the pan out and put it back on. Even though I had just flushed the system external filter added new Allison Transynd in it when this all started I didn't want to add the drained fluid back so I used new fluid. I started the engine cleared the codes and took off on a 50 mile test drive no light no limp mode shifts great so I'm calling it fixed.

By the way guys if your looking for a low cost Allison approved TES 295 fluid Walmart.com online sells 5 gallon container of Sinopec ATF Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid $69.99 free shipping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/842...8-502caa57e1a3
Old 06-08-2021, 07:06 AM   #8

Quote:

By the way guys if your looking for a low cost Allison approved TES 295 fluid Walmart.com online sells 5 gallon container of Sinopec ATF Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid $69.99 free shipping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/842...8-502caa57e1a3
Old 06-08-2021, 07:15 AM   #9

Allison's new generation fluid Transynd TES 668.

It supersedes Transynd TES 295 and is backwards compatible.

For the next fluid/filter change, stick with the change interval based on your current fluid/severe duty. Allison classifies any transmission with a retarder as "severe duty".

And, when you do change, go to the improved TES 668. I visited with Tom Johnson who helped develop Transynd TES 295 and he highly recommends going to the TES 668 at the next change interval as the additive package is even improved over the TES 295. Basically, there have been strides in chemistry over the last decade! Take advantage of them.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
That link does not seem to be working. More importantly, that product is NOT included in the list of TES-295 fluids on the Allison website: https://allisontransmission.com/part...highway-fluids
I anticipate someone (or probably several) are going to "yabut" this to death.
so please let me correct my statement by saying that this oil is not on the Allison TES-295 list however it meets or exceeds Allison TES-295 specs. As some of the experts have stated it costs millions for an oil mfg. to get added to the Allison approved list and that cost is surly passed onto the consumer. Opinions are far less important than facts, data, and the actual specifications.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:42 AM   #11

Quote:
I anticipate someone (or probably several) are going to "yabut" this to death.
so please let me correct my statement by saying that this oil is not on the Allison TES-295 list however it meets or exceeds Allison TES-295 specs. ....... Opinions are far less important than facts, data, and the actual specifications.
I agree, but you have not posted anything, AFAIK, that supports your claim that I put in bold. Therefore, isn't that just YOUR opinion??? Or at least only the opinion of Sinopec?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:21 PM   #12

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I agree, but you have not posted anything, AFAIK, that supports your claim that I put in bold. Therefore, isn't that just YOUR opinion??? Or at least only the opinion of Sinopec?
I guess it comes down to how much belief and trust an individual want's to put into the snake oil being sold to the consumers. Real world data tells us the TES-295 licensed fluids are very good performers. But that same data also tells us that so are many other non-licensed fluids, in the exact same applications perform just as well and as some have said on here it costs millions to get on that approved list.

Several years ago Ford Motor Company had their own approved list of Diesel Motor Oils that met Fords WSS-M2C171-F1 specs with name brands like Shell, Mobile and of course Motorcraft. After their were many consumer studies done that showed their were many motor oils on the market that met Ford, GM and many others specs and were just as good as the ones on the list. some mfg's including Ford claims the owner should use motor oil that meets the WSS-M2C171-F1 specs.

I have used the Walmart Super Tec heavy duty diesel motor oil in my $70,000 Ford diesel trucks for 12 or 13 years my last one had 289,000 miles on it when I traded it.

Walmart has changed the link and the price for the 5 gallon Sinopec ATF HD Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/842029465

Sinopec ATF HD Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid data sheet.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...f?v=1610978482

Tags
allison, transmission