Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2020, 01:40 PM   #1

Allison 3000 cummins 8.3 dies when shifting into gear.

Once my engine and trans warm up, it want to die when I come to stop lights or shift from neutral to drive or reverse. It could simply be the engine is idling to low, but before I turn it up I wanted to ask. It seems to be pulling sort of harder than I would expect when idling in gear like the transmission is not properly disengaging or something. I mean it starts rolling as soon as I hit D or R. Is this normal? Otherwise it shifts out ok except it will occasionally sort of stall in a gear like it will hang in 3rd until I let off the pedal some, then shift and go on. Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2020, 02:57 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Your idle should be around 650 rpm, I think.

My rig had lagging shifts. I learned here on the forum that I needed to turn on the ignition key, slowly pump the throttle pedal to the floor and release three times. Then start the engine.

That seemed to reset the "throttle position sensor" and smooth out my subsequent shifts for that travel event.

Having done the 3x sequence several times, I now have very few lagging shift events. Most happen after a dead stop while accelerating up an incline.

If your idle is correct, then I do not know why your engine wants to quite at idle.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Your idle should be around 650 rpm, I think.

My rig had lagging shifts. I learned here on the forum that I needed to turn on the ignition key, slowly pump the throttle pedal to the floor and release three times. Then start the engine.

That seemed to reset the "throttle position sensor" and smooth out my subsequent shifts for that travel event.

Having done the 3x sequence several times, I now have very few lagging shift events. Most happen after a dead stop while accelerating up an incline.

If your idle is correct, then I do not know why your engine wants to quite at idle.
Thank you, I will check my idle speed, is that in gear or in neutral?
Old 06-08-2020, 06:17 PM   #4

That idle speed should be in gear , and on Dodge trucks that used the P-7100 pump , with A/C running .

Not unusual for the tip of the idle stop screw and the contact point, on the throttle arm, to wear and slow the idle .

Yes your coach will move as soon as the trans is in gear , normal , and because the torque converter is designed that way Allison states that idle time in gear will overheat the trans , so if your over five mins stuck in traffic shift to neutral.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p7100_idle screw.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	288816  
Old 06-08-2020, 10:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
That idle speed should be in gear , and on Dodge trucks that used the P-7100 pump , with A/C running .

Not unusual for the tip of the idle stop screw and the contact point, on the throttle arm, to wear and slow the idle .

Yes your coach will move as soon as the trans is in gear , normal , and because the torque converter is designed that way Allison states that idle time in gear will overheat the trans , so if your over five mins stuck in traffic shift to neutral.
Thank you, great info
Old 06-09-2020, 06:53 PM   #6

I'll add some personal observation from my time at Dodge , this adjustment; on a P/U ; is a royal PITA ; and on a DP it'll be worse .

ENGINE OFF: Clean the area and mark the screw with ink marker , hold the screw, while you loosen the lock nut , turn the screw 1/4 turn in, tighten the lock nut . Start and warm the engine to full operating temp and check the RPM, in gear dash A/C on.

Unfortunately ; repeat as necessary.

EDIT: Note , if the point of the adjustment screw and the contact point are badly worn even a 1/4 turn may result in too much increase , due to uneven wear and misalignment of the worn parts .
Old 06-09-2020, 11:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I'll add some personal observation from my time at Dodge , this adjustment; on a P/U ; is a royal PITA ; and on a DP it'll be worse .

ENGINE OFF: Clean the area and mark the screw with ink marker , hold the screw, while you loosen the lock nut , turn the screw 1/4 turn in, tighten the lock nut . Start and warm the engine to full operating temp and check the RPM, in gear dash A/C on.

Unfortunately ; repeat as necessary.

EDIT: Note , if the point of the adjustment screw and the contact point are badly worn even a 1/4 turn may result in too much increase , due to uneven wear and misalignment of the worn parts .
Thank you, I will plan on this taking a while.

Tags
allison, cummins