Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Allison 3000 damage

well it was bound to happen, just didn't expect it to happen so soon, our truck is broke down, today I noticed an oil spot under the truck, a 1999 Freightliner FL-60 Sport Chassis with a 300hp CAT motor, after I crawled under it the transmission oil seemed to by coming from an inspection plate on the bottom of the bell housing, hmmm after looking closer I noticed the bolts have backed up of the bell housing and the transmission ( a 3000 series Allison 6 speed ) is hanging down, all the top bolts have backed out and 2 are missing, 4 of the bottom bolts are the only thing holding the trans to the engine, another thing there is no transmission cross member supporting this monster, after tightening up all the bolts that were left and removing the inspection plate, the trans is still leaking, well pouring fluid out, hopefully its just a seal that was damaged from hanging down, next step is call good sams and have it towed to a shop near cottonwood, AZ
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
trying to load some pictures
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If it drives ok (but leaks)the damage might not be too severe. Of course if you take it to a a dealer, they try to take you for every penny. and tell you you need to replace the whole unit.

Most likely the converter and front pump are damaged. You might realllly be lucky and a seal fixes it.

These transmissions are designed to not need a rear crossmemeber.
The 6 speed manual in My Ford weighs 450lbs and it has none as well.

Never seen bolts just back out after 15 years?
has the trans been out of the vehicle lately?
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Mekanic the engine was removed and refurbished 2 years ago
Old 05-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPOHOLIC View Post
Mekanic the engine was removed and refurbished 2 years ago
There is where your loose bolts came from as Mekanic said it probably damaged the front pump seal.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you just notice the leak while stopped?
OR did the RV quit pulling and then there and then you see the leak on the ground?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Mekanic, I pulled into my driveway just fine and an hour later I walked by the truck and noticed the oil on the ground
Old 05-26-2014, 11:28 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPOHOLIC View Post
Mekanic, I pulled into my driveway just fine and an hour later I walked by the truck and noticed the oil on the ground
If it was still driving that means the pump was still making pressure.

I've fixed a few transmissions. the guys that did every day always did say if
The vehicle stopped pulling its self the bad parts could be identified with your fingers as faulty even if you took it apart blindfolded.

I've found that to be true.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:43 AM   #9

You will need to carefully check all mating surfaces for wear. They could have fretted if the bolts have been loose for some time.
Elictrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
well the truck is in the shop and will give you all an update when i get one
Old 05-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #11

It sounds like whoever did the trans work 2 years ago let you down.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
New info on the Damaged Allison 3000

well a correction on the type of trans that it is, it's a MD3060 and its pretty badly damaged, now for the next chapter, $3500 on the low end to $6500 on the high end for a rebuild from allison , so its leaning to a used trans, I can find a dozen MD3060 from International trucks but very few that came out from behind a CAT 7.2 motor , so this leads to the next question, can the flex plate be changed out of a 3060 that was behind an international motor to a flex plate for a CAT 7.2 and the phone calls to allison start tomorrow , BTW a used trans is between $1500 to $2000 + shipping, and now your thinking well low end is $3500 for a rebuild with no parts needed, my flex plate has some cracks in it and the front pump shaft is galled, is that the right term ? any input as to where you would look for a used trans would be helpful ? there's a big hole in my drive way where my truck should be, help me fill that hole with my truck being back home, signed broken hearted Freightliner owner
Old 05-29-2014, 06:23 AM   #13

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
I'm guessing the pump input bearing is worn and that caused the pump to start leaking past the seal. It may have also damaged the pump gears and pump housing since you had a tremendous bending load on the input shaft and torque converter.
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
I'm guessing the pump input bearing is worn and that caused the pump to start leaking past the seal. It may have also damaged the pump gears and pump housing since you had a tremendous bending load on the input shaft and torque converter.
tom it did tear it up pretty bad, scary to think about how long it might of been that way , the good news is a rebuilt transmission is on its way from GLOBAL INDUSTRIAL AUTOMATICS in Tucson, AZ, bad news is $4500 + instalation co$ts

Tags
allison