Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2021, 09:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
01 DSDP on a FL with a Cat 3126B, Allison MD3000. I did buy a 5 Gal of TES295 as required by Allison as Dexron3 does not seem meet their TES295 specs even through it is a synthetic oil.

So, you have actually installed a full 19 quarts into the tranny??? didn't replace the inner filter, just the outer ones, without pulling the pan?

Please note that TES295 has been superseded by Allison TES 668. And, not a bad idea to fill with 18 quarts, drive until the transmission is warm and use the shift pad to check fluid level. But, yes all three of our DP's with that transmission ended up taking 19 quarts. So, I now pour off one quart from the 5 gallon pail for a spare and then put the pail on a ladder and use 7' of clear plastic hose. Start a siphon and let it fill into the transmission dipstick tube. Pretty easy.

Not sure what you mean by inner ones. The only filters to be replaced are the two filters easily accessed by removing their plates on the bottom of the transmission. The Allison filter kit comes with both of the filters plus gaskets. The kit will contain several styles of gaskets. Be sure to just use the same style as came off.

And, at it says in the instruction sheet that comes with the kit, do NOT over-torque the filter plate bolts. I stay to the low end of their torque spec range and have never had a leak.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2021, 01:08 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Another thing to consider is with the newer fluid you get longer service miles like 150K, but allison call for a max duration between changes like 50 months. So 150k miles for me does not mean much since I will have to chance in 4-5 years because age.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:46 PM   #17

Fluid doesn't necessarily age out , that's where oil analysis comes in.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:33 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Please note that TES295 has been superseded by Allison TES 668. And, not a bad idea to fill with 18 quarts, drive until the transmission is warm and use the shift pad to check fluid level. But, yes all three of our DP's with that transmission ended up taking 19 quarts. So, I now pour off one quart from the 5 gallon pail for a spare and then put the pail on a ladder and use 7' of clear plastic hose. Start a siphon and let it fill into the transmission dipstick tube. Pretty easy.

Not sure what you mean by inner ones. The only filters to be replaced are the two filters easily accessed by removing their plates on the bottom of the o. The Allison filter kit comes with both of the filters plus gaskets. The kit will contain several styles of gaskets. Be sure to just use the same style as came off.

And, at it says in the instruction sheet that comes with the kit, do NOT over-torque the filter plate bolts. I stay to the low end of their torque spec range and have never had a leak.
Thank you. I finally got the oL-oK, not sure how much I've added yet, but don't believe it is 19 quarts. seems like a little less. Going to check today. thank you for the practical experience, needed it..... there is a lot of missinformation out there based on the Allison book specs... that does not include the tranny cooler and hoses....

I always use torque wrenches for everything, flat plates are most important so the torque is the same across all the bolts so the places are evenly sealed. found that most steel into aluminum bolts rarely are torqued over 45 psi yes, rebuilt a few auto tranny's. Only did that once and don't especially like installing helicoils. What I don't like is manufacturer's that just give you a chart with the size and coresponding torque value... waste valuable time, should be printed right on the sheet.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:51 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Fluid doesn't necessarily age out , that's where oil analysis comes in.
I'm not sure what all the big fluid deal ail about. I've run dexron3 for 50k in other heavy duty trucks and such. But allison seems to want it changed every 25k. in the past when I've changed tranny fluid at 25k it has always seemed completely clean and the filters perfect. That said I can only assume that since both are synthetic that the friction modifiers in the tes295 must be more robust than the dexron3. I found the TES295 and the Dexron3 the same price in a 5 gal bucket when ordered on the net and certainly cheaper then when bought from autoparts stores. Ultra1 works for both TES295 and dexron3 figure to use the leftover for my chevy pick em up truck as it has hit 100k miles.

Only burned tranny fluid I've seen is when the friction spaces get out of wack. had a torqueflight 727 professionally rebuilt for my old moho. found that after 6k miles the fluid was burned. Tore it apart and found the friction spacers and not been measured and adjusted to the plates, so the plates were not completely engaging. Cleaned, replaced plates and drove for 77k before I sold unit.

As far as age goes, I ignore that, what I look for is miles because miles, indicate how much the oil has been exposed to heat which will destroy the friction modifiers... reason for this change is coach hit 50k and found no record of any change, don't know how old tranny fluid is or what kind it was, and... I always change tranny fluid at 50k regardless of what kind of whoop-dee-doo high tech fluid is used... Needless to say most of you old timers have already figured out synthetic fluid is not really synthetic and conventional is not really conventional.... it is all a blend of both... and all of it is just a sales hype to get more per gallon...

I've dumped the cheapest walmart dexron3 rated oil in heavy load trucks and had no problems with tranny failures.....
Old 11-27-2021, 05:59 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post

Not sure what you mean by inner ones. The only filters to be replaced are the two filters easily accessed by removing their plates on the bottom of the transmission. The Allison filter kit comes with both of the filters plus gaskets. The kit will contain several styles of gaskets. Be sure to just use the same style as came off.

there is a tiny treaded in particle filter inside the pan, it rarely gets replaced. just not needed unless you are pulling the pan for something else.

Tags
allison, fluid