Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2015, 08:53 AM   #1

Allison 3000 fluid change - amounts differ from change to change

I just had my 3000 allison trans filter and fluids changed in my 2004 Monaco Diplomat for the 2nd time. 4 years ago the dealer put in 22 quarts. This week, the same dealer put in 18 quarts. I'm concerned with only 18 quarts, I won't get the same quality of fluid in the transmission. I suspect they did not change something this time they did last time. 70,000 miles on the coach. The book calls for 19 quarts with a 4" filter.

Thanks

Mark
mhercus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #2

The change 4 years ago , if from the original fluid to Transyd, may have required more fluid to flush the old fluid out of the torque convertor, and trans cooler , something the shop may not have done this time because the Transyd, is already in those portions of the system.

One of these days I'll get the spelling of that fluid right.
Do you have the info on using the key pad for fluid level check?
Old 05-16-2015, 01:09 AM   #3

This coach came with Transynd from the factory. I checked the fluid level from the keypad and it is "OK". I suspect last time they just did a better job getting more fluid out. Your service is only as good as the person doing the job. I will probably try another shop next time. Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:16 PM   #4

I had my filter and oil changed this year as well. I spent some time trying to understand what was involved and our local shop was more than willing to walk me through the process. One of the Allison techs told me some shops may not drain the transmission but pump it out. He said some RV shops do the work that way. I'm not sure how correct his assumptions were, however, he did say pumping it may not get all of the fluids out.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-01-2015, 07:16 AM   #5

Thank you for replying. I think you had a very wise tech and I agree with him. I also think some shops just do a better job realizing the more old fluid they remove, the better the service job we have been given. I suspect I had a great tech the first time and he drained some of the lines. This last time I was not so fortunate. I probably won't be going back to this shop even through they are the closest to my home in Southern California. There response to the questions was less than desirable and responses and follow-thru even worst.
Thanks again,
Mark
Old 06-02-2015, 05:23 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I believe Allison recommends NOT to pump the trans fluid out.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I believe Allison recommends NOT to pump the trans fluid out.

You are correct. Allison doesn't recommend fluid pumps for draining.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Here's what my Allison Manual entitled, "Fluid and Filter Change Recommendations" says for the 3000, in quarts:

Initial Fill / Refill
4" sump 29/ 19
2" sump 26 /17
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, fluid