Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2021, 06:19 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Allison 3000 Shifting Problems

Today I needed to move my 1998 Dutch Star a short distance and it had the dreaded No Shifting issue. it’s an Allison 3000 series transmission with the standard shift pad that only indicates R N D and has the Eco Mode plus up and down Arrows for manual downshifts . Long story short we eventually were able to get the rig rolling but in order to shift from D to R I had to shut it off restart and stab the shift pad. And then only by having my son pull then replace the 10 amp fuse .

I’m asking anyone who has had this issue to offer advice on what parts may need to be changed in order to correct the issue!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2021, 01:07 PM   #2

Have to ask ; What Chassis is your DSDP on , Freightliner or Spartan ?

Was the 10 amp fuse in a module like the first or second picture below ?

Have you located the Allison ECU ( Electronic Control Unit ) ? In the third picture which module do you have ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243 (640x360).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	325332   Click image for larger version

Name:	AllisonTrans  WTEC II VIM.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	325333  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Allison trans controllers.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	325334  
Old 04-17-2021, 01:13 PM   #3

What are the DIAGNOSTIC CODES (accessible from the shift pad)?

And voltage (chassis battery) is 12+ VDC when this happened?

And we are assuming that engine idle speed was not too high (which would cause the D and R to flash and not go into gear.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:48 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I’ll try to answer both questions at once .BTW I have been able to get it to shift into D. 6 and R as well as Nuetral. So all seems to be normal.
The only Code that was registered was d1 350. I kid you not that’s all that is in there!

Now it is a DSDP on a Spartan Chassis with a C8.3 Cummins 38 Foot model 3883 .
So far I have not found the Control module so I can’t say which one it is.the 10 amp fuse was in the compartment just ahead of the Batteries. There is a fairly large Panel with several relays none of which are marked Trans! The Fuse labelled trans had not blown !

What seems to have solved the problem at least for now and it likely needs further treatments is this!

I read somewhere on line that the keypads respond to being rubbed with the clickey end of a ball point pen . So thinking what the heck heck I gave that a try! With the engine off and key out of the ignition I carefully rubbed each key with firm pressure. Then started the engine and like magic she went into drive then neutral and finally into Reverse! I have repeated going up and down as well as directly from D to R !

I will come back to this posting from time to time to report how long this cure lasts or if it fails !

I will be looking on line for a replacement keypad from a salvage yard that I can take apart and examine. As far as I can tell it’s not made much different from a television remote control or any other momentary switching device. They all get dirty and can usually be disassembled components cleaned then popped back together.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:30 AM   #5

Rob, you may want to send your shifter (mine has the control module inside the shifter) to Transmission Instruments and get it rebuilt. They rebuilt mine and it was like a new one when I got it back - John is the owner and knows his stuff.
https://www.transmissioninstruments.com/
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:33 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
That is certainly an option . The problem with doing that for me is that I live in Canada . Shipping items back and forth across the border is not an easy task at the best of times and with the current situation It’s nigh on impossible .
I discovered that there may be a repair kit available through a local Allison Shop so am researching that option as well.
I did manage to get my rig moved and have been able to shift it several times with no problems but obviously need to be prepared for an eventual further issue.
Thank you for your response. I will keep the lines of communication open!
Old 04-27-2021, 06:42 AM   #7

Your tranny relies on a fully charged Chassis battery bank to operate normally. You might want to check that.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:31 PM   #8

The ECM and TCM must be installed by the MH mfgr. because mine are located above the engine on the hatch framework below the bed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote