Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2021, 07:53 PM   #1

Allison 3000 Transmission filters

I've read some posts in the past couple of days where questions were raised about changing the filters on a Allison 3000 transmission. Being I Just completed doing just that today, I thought I would cover the questions/concerns raised in those posts, as I remember them.

First, the filters kit for this transmission is now 29558329. This number superseded the original number 29540494. The kit includes both filters, the filter cover gaskets and the o-rings for both the filter covers and the drain plug. But please note: YOU DO NOT NEED TO DRAIN THE OIL IN ORDER TO CHANGE FILTERS! I had a difficult time finding the filters at a reasonable cost but was able to order the kit for $54.00, on the internet

It took me 1.5 hours to complete the task and was able to do it with the air bags deflated.

The only special tool needed is a torque wrench for the 12 fasteners which get torqued to 38-45 ft lbs.

Lastly, I only lost a total of 2 quarts of oil.

Sadly, I couldn't remember the posts where these questions were raised but hopefully those who were seeking answers will see this.

Bill,
03 American Tradition ISC 350
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2021, 09:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Try 38-45 INCH pounds or you will be in big trouble. [emoji26][emoji26]
Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:35 PM   #3

No sir, I stated it correctly: 38-45 ft lbs.

Bill
Old 08-29-2021, 04:24 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
That is incorrect Twomed, the spec is in FT LBS. The drain plug is listed at 18-24 ft lbs in my notes, with Bill's listed spec for the filter bolts.

I'm just getting ready to replace my fluid and filters so thanks Bill for the info.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Mea culpa guys ...too much Ida stuff
Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:14 AM   #6

Quote:
its definitely ft lbs, if you used inch pounds you will have leaking filters, depending on the miles on the coach I would torque them to 40. Older the trans is and the more times the filters have been replaced. The better chance you have of pulling the threads out trying to achieve 45 ft lbs of torque.
allison_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:43 PM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison_tech View Post
its definitely ft lbs, if you used inch pounds you will have leaking filters, depending on the miles on the coach I would torque them to 40. Older the trans is and the more times the filters have been replaced. The better chance you have of pulling the threads out trying to achieve 45 ft lbs of torque.
I've changed the filters 6 times now in the past 20 years and still set the torque for minimal (38 ft lbs) and never had a leak yet. I don't know when my trans qualifies as being "old" but I sure do hope I'm around to see it!
Old 09-04-2021, 04:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneiva View Post
I've read some posts in the past couple of days where questions were raised about changing the filters on a Allison 3000 transmission. Being I Just completed doing just that today, I thought I would cover the questions/concerns raised in those posts, as I remember them.

First, the filters kit for this transmission is now 29558329. This number superseded the original number 29540494. The kit includes both filters, the filter cover gaskets and the o-rings for both the filter covers and the drain plug. But please note: YOU DO NOT NEED TO DRAIN THE OIL IN ORDER TO CHANGE FILTERS! I had a difficult time finding the filters at a reasonable cost but was able to order the kit for $54.00, on the internet

It took me 1.5 hours to complete the task and was able to do it with the air bags deflated.

The only special tool needed is a torque wrench for the 12 fasteners which get torqued to 38-45 ft lbs.

Lastly, I only lost a total of 2 quarts of oil.

Sadly, I couldn't remember the posts where these questions were raised but hopefully those who were seeking answers will see this.

Bill,

03 American Tradition ISC 350

If this is first time changing should the fluid been changed also?
Old 09-04-2021, 05:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
If this is first time changing should the fluid been changed also?
After 20 years of ownership, this was my 6th filter change. But yes, had this been the first filter change, the oil would have also been changed.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:39 AM   #10

You should be able to see it get very old with routine maintenance. I've worked on some very old transmissions that were in perfect working order.
allison_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneiva View Post
I've changed the filters 6 times now in the past 20 years and still set the torque for minimal (38 ft lbs) and never had a leak yet. I don't know when my trans qualifies as being "old" but I sure do hope I'm around to see it!

I agree. I stay at the very minimum torque spec window for the filter cover bolts. They are steel into aluminum.

Like you, never had a leak. And, were there to be one, no problem upping torque a little.

Tags
allison, transmission