RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Allison 3060 ???

I always check my tranny fluid level with the shift pad on evry stop when we are on the road. After my factory service at Freightliner last fall, my first check showed I was 2 quarts low. Checked dipstick and it showed that all was OK. I am getting ready to head north in about a month and want to resolve this before I head out. Freightliner had no explanation as to the cause. Maybe unhook batts for a while to reset the tranny? Any other ideas?

Thanks
DICK

Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 05:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello Dick, The only way to calibrate the dip stick is to drain it and refill it with the proper amount and re-mark the dip stick, If they just changed the fluid and you are sure about the amount they put in, add to it till your Allison key pad(fluid level sensor) reads OK, then re-mark your stick. On other conversations on here, always believe the Key pad as the dip stick might not have been installed correctly or calibrated correctly when installed. The same goes for the engine oil dip stick, I have read on here when some has had to re-calibrate the markings on the dip stick.
One more thought, the mechanic changing your fluids filled and checked the proper levels from the dip sticks, not the key pad as he was for sure dirty and did not go inside if I had to guess.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
palehorse89--Thanks for the reply.
I've had this coach since late 1999 and the dipstick always matched the shift pad. That's why I'm wanting to check this difference out.

DICK
Old 03-03-2014, 05:35 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
That is kinda funny Dick, as suggested, unhook the batteries to reset the Allison TCM, I think I read on here once that it had to have the power lifted for a couple of days like you said in order to reset it. About all you can do is experiment and try some things and see what you come up with. Check the dip stick out really good and just make sure nothing could of happened to it as so to get a different reading on it. Did Allison say if the oil level sensor could go bad and give a false reading? I suppose it is possible.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:48 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
The biggest problem I have is getting the transmission up to temp in order for the
key pad to work.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
When I changed the fluid in mine one time.
I ran the pad check and it said it was 2 qt low. I put 1 qt in and did a recheck.
It then said OK.

I didn't check the dipstick. As Allison says only the pad is accurate.
I would go by what your pad says. But only add 1 qt and recheck.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies!!!
I'll probably add 1 qt and see how it reads. Won't be for a month tho.

Good question about the sensor possibly going bad. Anybody know?

DICK
Old 03-03-2014, 11:46 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
The biggest problem I have is getting the transmission up to temp in order for the
key pad to work.
That's easy. Make sure the parking brake is on. Start the engine. Shift transmission into drive. Use cruise control to set engine on high idle. It won't take very long for the transmission to reach operating temperature.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
That is a little hard on the clutch packs and disks.
Ever since I increased cooling for this DP the transmission runs just under 140 most
of the time and will climb to 160 on a long hill.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #10

Checking fluid level with touchpad The chart of error codes indicates a error code will display if the oil sensor fails.

Papa Jim, I sure hope your comment was meant to be funny. That procedure can get costly very quickly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Papa Jim, I sure hope your comment was meant to be funny. That procedure can get costly very quickly.
Ray, I can understand your comment and appreciate your opinion very much. I have had the same concerns. I'll try to explain my reasoning.

When I made the move to Transyd a few years back, I couldn't check my oil level because the shift pad wouldn't display the oil level until the transmission oil temperature reached 140 degrees. My transmission oil normally won't see 140 degrees until we've been on the road for an hour or two.

Our local Allison shop told me to park the vehicle, place the transmission in drive, and raise the engine speed to about 900 RPM. It only takes about 5 minutes to raise the temperature so that the shift pad will properly display oil level.

Concerned about this, I talked to a friend in the heavy duty truck repair business about this. He told me that it's standard procedure after a transmission service job to put the transmission under light load for a little while. It gets the temperature up quickly into operating range so that the oil level can be checked, and it provides a quick test to make sure that all temperature sensors are working properly. He said there's no other practical way of doing these tests.

My transmission is cooled with an oil cooler with an electric fan that cuts in at 195 degrees. The temperature sensor has failed once, the fan has failed once, and a fuse and relay has failed once. It's a really poor system. I don't have a hope of diagnosing this until I can get the transmission temperature up to 200 degrees. I can possibly drive all week on the highway and never see that temperature. I can do the light load in park test and get that temperature in a few minutes.

I'm the kind of guy that shifts his car transmission into neutral at red lights. I know that most people don't worry about it. They'll sit in a traffic jam forever with the transmission in drive and their foot on the brake.

However, I finally decided that if I had to do this to avoid driving with the transmission oil level low, or with the transmission oil cooler fan not working, I'll do it.

Jim

Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison