Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #15

this might help... ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	allison_3k_and_4k_4.gif
Views:	4069
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	28200  
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #16

Thanks to all for their assistance. Here's an update on what I have found. This is long overdue but that work thing kept getting in the way. I did a lot of digging into this issue, went through the dash and tightened all of my gnd connections, in the process I found a couple of unconnected (spare?) wires and one bare wire in the headlamp ckt that caused its connector to discolor badly. I took the opportunity to clean it all up and reroute some wiring to eliminate the tangle of wires and cables that were behind the dash and the drivers side kick plate.
Since that didn't make a difference I dug into the relay box, again, and mapped all the signals to see what was missing. As expected the neutral safety wasn't latching. It had the trigger it needed from the switch but the ECU wouldn't let it latch. I spoke with some FANTASTIC people at Valley Truck Parts in Grand Rapids who provided me with that schematic (thanks Dan) to help me understand it all. I was also able to get a "test" ECU/Keypad from them to troubleshoot my issue. Turns out the ECU has failed (one guess which circuit) so I am sending it off for repair when I get done with this job and back home.
On a side note as a word of caution. This older coach of mine has a generation 2 ECU. Some of the codes are different from the newer units and replacement units are not readily available. Fortunately, if there is one thing I have learned from all of this fun; it is that Allison ECUs are pretty reliable and not really prone to failure.

Jerry
Old 02-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #17

Allison Tranny fail to start

Recently had a similar problem where my "do not shift" light would light up and there was no display on the ECU at all. All wiring and voltages were good but nothing helped until I called the following:
John Kopalek
Transmission Instruments
1-866-439-9779
3634 Long Prairie Rd.
Suite 108
Flower Mound, TX 75022
www.transmissioninstruments.com

John walked me through some diagnostics to determine that the ECU was getting power (it was) and suggested that I send the ECU to him for repair. He repaired it and returned it within 3 days. I plugged it back in, crossed my fingers and turned the key on. SUCCESS!!!! 95 Dutch star nw runing flawlessly. Thanks John. I would certainly recommend this service.
John Navar
bastrop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #18

Just had a fire truck, same vintage, when cold, pushing buttons it was hard to get it to go into gear, and not shifting like it should. I had the tech remove the ECM cable and all connections and clean them, then remove all relays and fuses !!! cleaned the "legs" and sooo much better. fixed all shifting problems. again, no diag codes would show up..
on the older rigs, this is starting to be a problem. shop wanted to charge $1600 for new shift pad.. problem solved for 2 hour labor, and taking me to lunch. 8-)
( I got another free lunch outta the fire dept !!! )
Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #19

Hi Dan, as you can see from my earlier posts I went through the same process on my unit. At first I saw minor success, but in the end the real fix came through the ECU repair. Like John above, I sent my to John Kopalek and he fixed mine at 1/4 the cost of a replacement part. No only does he repair the part, but he provides a refurbished keypad as well that looks as good as new. And, the work is done in just a couple of days. I am yet to test it all as my battery sits in my heated garage while the coach sits in storage, waiting for Spring. I have full confidence that the ECU will be plug-in-and-go ready.
TurbineGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #20

I'm very glad to hear there's a reasonable place to have them repaired..
And glad yours is running again.
Alison is so proprietary with every thing they mfg..

Take care .
Dan.

Still looking for a reasonable place to get master cylinders..
8-)