RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:40 PM   #1

Allison 4000 MH problems.. HELP!

We are currently in Janesville Wisconsin at an Allison approved shop, waiiting for the night shift to come on and hoping they get us in to work on the RV transmission. If anybody has any insight as to what the issues are it would be appreciated before I go into the shop for the fix. It would be peace of mind.

2001 Country Coach 40 ft Magna
Allison Transmission 4000 MH

Picked the coach up in Wichita Kansas and drove 300 miles back to Dallas. Initially noticed a hard shift / thump from N to D , however it did not pose any problem other than an annoyance.

Driving from Dallas to Wisconsin this week, the following occurred near our destination:

Note: All fluid levels are up to full line on the dipstick

Continuously checked transmission fluid level electronically using the shift key pad.

We started experiencing issues from neutral shifting to drive... Again, hard shift and thump and now the transmission defaults to neutral which appears to be a safety Factor Allison built in) and cannot get it in Drive. Same thing occurs when running at 45 to 65 miles per hour running fine and then slowing down to a stop and while downshifting from 2nd ti 1st gear, then clunks goes into neutral.

The only way I can get it into drive at this time is to wait for the transmission to cool (but not sure this is the factor) . Not sure if this is part of the problem or not just mentioning it.

I would like to know that once I manually shift to second gear, and third through sixth gear and I'm on the interstate all is normal

Here are the codes we received...

On October 17th code. OL 7
On October 18th code. OL7
And checking the previous stored codes I found the following...
D11313
OL 7
OL OK
(Temp 170 f)

October 19th today at 8 am...
OL OK
D13500
D21313
D31312
D 4
D 5
Temp at 170 deg f

Note... All of the above was done at 170 degrees to 180 degrees F

Any help or experience anyone has had with this issue gamma would appreciate any feedback. If you can text me it would be appreciated even more or call 847-293-3402

I'm not sure if they can get us in today but I'm with the family in the motorhome and Stranded.
Jackcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2020, 02:39 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2. Sorry your first post is about problems.

From the codes , it would appear the Trans ECU ( Electronic Control Unit ) is getting erratic power supply .This is hopefully an external problem , and could go all the way back to the battery connections or the ignition switch or fuses, because the code doesn't differentiate between ECU battery ( memory ) power or ignition , ( run ) power.

Code #1 35 00 Power interruption

#2 13 13 ECU Volt Low
#3 13 12 ECU Volt , low med
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Allison all codes.pdf (2.09 MB, 8 views)
Old 10-19-2020, 02:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
From the codes , it would appear the Trans ECU ( Electronic Control Unit ) is getting erratic power supply .This is hopefully an external problem , and could go all the way back to the battery connections or the ignition switch or fuses, because the code doesn't differentiate between ECU battery ( memory ) power or ignition , ( run ) power.

Code #1 35 00 Power interuption

#2 13 13 ECU Volt Low
#3 13 12 ECU Volt , low med
Nice link - a keeper!
Old 10-19-2020, 02:52 PM   #4

Do you have a toad ( probably not as you are ‘stranded’)?
I used to live in Edgerton, just up the road from where you are. Which shop are you at?
Old 10-19-2020, 04:02 PM   #5

Mr Lars
No toll road and we are at Lakeside International, and approved Allis service center
Old 10-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #6

John, thanks for replying. Mechanic is looking at it right now and he feels the same. Put the meter on the batteries and the ECU and thinks it's a connection in the wiring. Unfortunately, he spent an hour on it and his shift is over and now the night shift guy will be here shortly. It's 4:03 p.m. now CST. Thanks for your advice! At least I'm not looking at a transmission drop!
Old 10-19-2020, 05:33 PM   #7

Ok, hopefully it will be quick fix.
If you had a toad, you could buzz up to Edgerton for great pizza at Mario’s, or wonderful Chinese across the street at Dragon. If you are down tomorrow, try and get over to Monroe for a brewery tour at Minhas Brewery. Also a great authentic German restaurant just a few blocks away. Where in Wisconsin is your ultimate destination?
Old 10-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #8

Any update?
Mr Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:09 PM   #9

We were in Delavan Wisconsin tending to a business we have there... Boat and car storage winter. If we're in town tomorrow we may try the suggested restaurant, except for the Chinese food! No Chinese food for me LOL I had enough of China! I hear the bat soup is good though.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:21 PM   #10

Skip, the evening mechanic is looking into it as I write and believes it's the alternator not putting out required voltage. I believe it's right at 12 volts output. I'll post in the form here and let everyone know what the problem was. The alternator may be a contributing factor however not sure it's the sole problem. In any event, he's looking deeper into the issue before replacing the alternator. I am due for replacing the four D8 batteries after reading issues of upgrading batteries from the Old Reliable lead acid batteries, I'm likely to stick with replacement lead acid batteries. I read in various forums where owners replaced with the various upgraded batteries and had issues with charging and their inverters. Your thoughts on this? I am a PE and tend to like to keep things simple!
Old 10-19-2020, 10:32 PM   #11

I had meant to mention the possibility of alternator issues... but thought you'd have had low battery/starting problems and mentioned them .
Fluctuating alt output could be the problem , but load testing, of the output, is in order.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:32 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackcjr View Post
Skip, the evening mechanic is looking into it as I write and believes it's the alternator not putting out required voltage. I believe it's right at 12 volts output. I'll post in the form here and let everyone know what the problem was. The alternator may be a contributing factor however not sure it's the sole problem. In any event, he's looking deeper into the issue before replacing the alternator. I am due for replacing the four D8 batteries after reading issues of upgrading batteries from the Old Reliable lead acid batteries, I'm likely to stick with replacement lead acid batteries. I read in various forums where owners replaced with the various upgraded batteries and had issues with charging and their inverters. Your thoughts on this? I am a PE and tend to like to keep things simple!
Im using lithium batteries out of a Nissan Leaf - anything but simple. In your situation Id go with AGM. Heres the pros and cons:
https://lifelinebatteries.com/2019/1...agm-batteries/
Old 10-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #13

update?
blang311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:05 PM   #14

Skip, you hit the nail right on the head! The alternator was putting out 11.8 volts oh, not enough to allow the transmission to shift. They replace the alternator and all is well. Still experiencing a hard shift from neutral to drive. Not sure if that's common or not, but all gears shift after new alternator was installed

Tags
allison, ems, problem, problems