Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2022, 02:42 PM   #1

Allison 6 Speed ECO Mode ?

Hello all, Im sure this has been answered,

When driving normal roads ( no mountain ) is it fine to use ECO mode?
I would rather pay more fuel then damage the tranny from staying in a high gear legging up some longer uphills..
This is not towing just 65-70MPH driving

Any tips would be greatly appreciated !!
NWCycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2022, 02:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You are sure to get many opinions on this and here’s mine. I never use ECO mode. It just changes the shift points and makes the engine lug and you will not see a measurable difference in fuel mileage.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:57 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
He's right.
sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:59 PM   #4

You can not damage the transmission, irrespective of power or economy mode.

The decision between the two modes is really about how proactive a driver you are/want to be.

I am proactive-- heck our first coach was the first vehicle we owned with an automatic transmission.

So, I drive in economy mode 95% of the time. This includes mountain driving. I then use the down/up arrows to select the correct gear.

Do you have to do this-- of course not. But the transmission, by definition is REactive (only seeing what happened behind you). An alert driver can see what is in front of them and be PROactive.

I do use power mode when passing on two lane roads, or other places where I am willing to pay extra fuel for a little more performance.

Note, to climb long grades, particularly in hot weather, you WILL need to use the down arrow. The correct gear is one where you are at the upper range of the engine's RPM curve, but at slightly less than wide open throttle. The "less than wide open throttle" will cause the transmission to upshift in either mode if you don't use the down arrow.
Old 09-26-2022, 03:18 PM   #5

Never made much difference for me.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:43 PM   #6

It really depends on how the eco mode was programmed. I have had several class 6-7 trucks with 5 and 6-speed Allisons and each responded a little differently in eco mode, some shifted noticeably at a lower rpm and held to a lower rpm before downshifting. Frankly eco mode never saved me a measurable amount of fuel. Our current coach really doesn’t shift or perform any different in regular or eco mode.
Probably if I had a fleet of over the road trucks, eco mode would save a measurable amount, depending on how it was programmed.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:31 AM   #7

Thanks, I know common sense makes a huge deal, i normally kick cruise off when anything interesting is going to happen..

I do plan on using a trailer soon not more than 3k lbs..
shouldnt even notice it but just looking to do the best for trans etc
Thank you all who took time
NWCycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:29 AM   #8

Allison 6 Speed ECO Mode ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCycle View Post
Thanks, I know common sense makes a huge deal, i normally kick cruise off when anything interesting is going to happen..

I do plan on using a trailer soon not more than 3k lbs..
shouldnt even notice it but just looking to do the best for trans etc
Thank you all who took time

Generally Allison manages your shift points pretty well whether in Eco or not. It’s not gonna let you hurt anything and will adjust for the added weight without your input. The only thing I really manage manually is my exhaust brake. And it does a good job of gear selection going down a hill.

I will on occasion select my gear manually if it’s doing too much up and down shifting. “Hunting” Which does happen on occasion.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:55 PM   #9

you can't hurt your trans, all it does is up shift a lightly sooner or down shift slightly later as you climb up hills. maybe 200 RPM is about all you will notice. a good driver and controlling your right foot will have MUCH more results on fuel economy the ECO.

Our company truck runs a L9 Cummins and a Alllison 6 speed, I have it programed to use the ECO mode on start up and perfromance mode if the button is pushed. The driver never has to change it when the truck is empty , it has enough power he never complains.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:29 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Where it will save fuel is in slow to medium speed driving. Example: in performance mode it will not normally shift into 6th gear until you are going at least 60 and let up on the throttle a bit. If going through towns where speed limit is 45-55 choosing eco mode will let it shift into 6th much sooner, and hold it there longer before downshifting.

I sometimes have driven miles at 50mph and look over and find it in 5th gear, hit the eco mode and then it goes into 6th and RPM’s drop (now you are saving fuel)
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Where it will save fuel is in slow to medium speed driving. Example: in performance mode it will not normally shift into 6th gear until you are going at least 60 and let up on the throttle a bit. If going through towns where speed limit is 45-55 choosing eco mode will let it shift into 6th much sooner, and hold it there longer before downshifting.

I sometimes have driven miles at 50mph and look over and find it in 5th gear, hit the eco mode and then it goes into 6th and RPM’s drop (now you are saving fuel)
this post is 100% spot on! Motor homes run near max weight every day all day, ECO mode really isn't a big benefit when you compare it to a truck that could weight 15,000 empty or 35,000 loaded.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:41 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You can leave it in ECO mode on the flat but it won't do much. It just changes the shift points and when your up in 6th cruising along it isn't shifting anyway.

Tags
allison