RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #1

Allison filter change CAUTION

I just changed a MH3000 fluid/filter and was careful to clean the bolt and case threads as a good mechanic should. It makes inaccurate or uneven torque to reinstall dirty threads.

Since the bolts had a red tape threadlocker, I decided to use Loctite 242 to replace it, but the problem is that liquid threadlockers also reduce FRICTION so LESS torque is required to reinstall the same bolts.

Be careful using liquid threadlockers and then torquing the bolts to the same torque, i did and felt the threads start to deform at about 30 ft-lbs. Deform means "damaged"

The bolts felt tight at a bit over 20 ft-lbs.

The catch is that when the threads are dry, part of the torque is used to overcome the thread friction, and that torque isnt used to tension the bolt.

Realize these are steel bolts in an ALUMINUM case...

Bolt torque is calculated by thread pitch, material type and coefficient of friction, so dry threads and wet threads have much different torque specs.

davecampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 3000 did not have any thread locker on it from the factory. I would be VERY hesitant using any type of thread locker on a part that you have to romove for service. You never use thread locker on your oil pan drain plug.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I'm wondering if the threads were oversized by the chasing...? Never had to reduce the torque used whan using threadlocker, teflon tape, anti-seize, etc...

Not sure about the Allison, but all the pans I have ever dropped where tightened to 12-18lbft.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
My 3000 did not have any thread locker on it from the factory. I would be VERY hesitant using any type of thread locker on a part that you have to romove for service. You never use thread locker on your oil pan drain plug.

1.) what your particular trans had or didnt have does not establish proper procedure. Mechanics dont use threadlocker tapes as was on these bolts so that indicates a factory application.

2.) you cannot compare the oil drain plug because it is a different application. The trans
filter is under pressure as evidenced by the fact there are SIX bolts on each filter.
My vehicles have threadlocker on the oil drain pan bolt, because I know its a DISASTER if that single, most critical bolt comes loose - its INSTANT engine destruction.

3.) Thread locker is to resist loosening from vibration, it has nothing to do with service intervals.

4.) What happens when the trans bolts vibrate loose and the filter sucks air or leaks?

5.) Q. What happens when a steel bolt is tightened against an aluminum housing and electro-galvanic corrosion sets in and corodes the threads together?

A the aluminum threads gall (damaged)
Old 12-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I'm wondering if the threads were oversized by the chasing...? Never had to reduce the torque used whan using threadlocker, teflon tape, anti-seize, etc...
Get a mechanical engineering handbook and find a GOOD thread torque chart, itll include lubricated and non-lubricated torque specs. It is a matter of engineering design, not personal preference of experience.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You da man Dave, Go with the Red locktite and don't forget to put some on your transmission mounting bolts. Iv'e seen way too many transmissions laying on the side of the road that have fallen out. Never can be too cautious !
Old 12-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #7

Quote:
You da man Dave, Go with the Red locktite and don't forget to put some on your transmission mounting bolts. Iv'e seen way too many transmissions laying on the side of the road that have fallen out. Never can be too cautious !
In all my travels and driving I have never seen a transmission laying on the side of the road.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #8

I have worked on these transmissions since they first came out in the early 90's. Have never put loctite on any bolt in this transmission,the later models do have a thread locker installed from the factory on the filter bolts.As long as you do not overtorque the bolts(some I have torqued to 35ft lbs with no problems.I have seen a lot of thread damage from installing bolts with a impact wrench(ATD has a thread repair kit for this) As far as having a concern about vibration,if your trans is vibrating enough to loosen any bolts then you must have a very serious problem.
allisontec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TY allisontec. I think that settles it for me.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have changed the filters in my 3060 a few times. Never had any kind of tread lock on them and I never have put any on them.

So far over the 8 years I have owned it. No filter bolts have fallen out or any leaks from that area.

Every year when under it doing the greasing. I have not noticed any separation of the transmission from the engine. That may give any hint of the transmission falling out going down the road.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had parts of my transmission laying on the road. t-10 4-speed. Long long time ago.

Mike
Old 12-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
I had parts of my transmission laying on the road. t-10 4-speed. Long long time ago.

Mike
But was it from loose bolts or a missed shift while hot roding?
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Parts on the ground is never a good thing. Needed MORE locktite and less missed shifts !
Old 12-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Methinks one may stir the pot

steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote