Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2014, 10:49 PM   #1

Allison HT740 shift problem

I have a allison ht 740 trans that was sitting for over a year (dipstick was off). I Was having problem with no reverse with all forward gears working fine, when I would shift to reverse the truck would not shake or anything. I check the governor no problems there. I checked the modulator pin and was still intact inside the trans (cable modulator). I tried manually moving the shifter on the side of the trans into reverse and it did nothing. I pulled the pan and inspected the the shift detents, all looked fine (no broken teeth). Transmission fluid level was fine as well. I put the pan back on and filled with fluid.
Still without reverse I went for a test drive, when i returned miraculously reverse started working! I took it out for another test drive and now the truck will not shift into 4th gear, it just sits in 3rd and will not shift. It goes through 1st, 2nd and 3rd fine but then will not get out of 3rd! I tried different throttle speeds and just cant get it out of 3rd. I am leaning towards pulling off and inspecting the valve. Any help is greatly appreciated.
kawi027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #2

I know this is an old thread, but maybe I can help. When you had no reverse, did you have fourth gear?

In this trans, reverse has first clutch on.
First gear is first and forward clutches.
Second gear is second and forward clutches.
Third gear is third and forward clutches.
Fourth gear is fourth and forward clutches.
Reverse is first and fourth clutches.
The clutch apply pressure cascades through the relay valves in this valve body. It's possible if you had no reverse, but had fourth gear the 1-2 relay valve was stuck in its stroked position. Reverse pressure goes underneath the 1-2 relay. However if that were the case, you would be shifting 2-3 and 3-4 in forward with no first gear when in drive.
If you didn't have fourth, and had no reverse, the 3-4 signal valves or the relay valve could be sticking in the de-stroked position.
It's also possible fourth clutch itself has a problem. It could be a burnt clutch, failed seals, or check balls in the clutch housing leaking. It could also be the sealrings on the forward hub of the center support.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison