Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #1

Allison MD3060 fluid level

Ok I'll try again as all writing yesterday lost. Have a 2000 Alpine Coach 36FDS , 8.3L ISC Cummins. Allison MD3060 WTEC III with 2 inch sump. Specs say 2.625 gal fluid. After drain ing almost 3 gal I changed to Allison High Capacity filter kit, refilling with TranSynd fluid. After initial fill of 2 gal found that trans didn't quite shift right especially downshift to 2nd and 1st with PAC or Jake brake on. After fill of 2 more qrts or 1/2 gal totaling 2.5 gal shifting was much closer to normal. After driving trans temp to 160, leveled and engine at idle Allison pushbutton gave code of oLLO 4 or 4 qrts low so added 2 qrts.. Next day bought more fluid and added 2 more qrts got trans up to 160, level, engine idle, Allison still says oLLo 4.
So specs says 2.625 gal, drained 3 gal for trans service, refill total 3.5 gal; Allison WTEC III pushbutton reads oLLo 4. Thinking of draining 1 or 2 quarts. Going on 250 mile trip Sat, anything to be considered about?
Thanks, Mark
Mitimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 04:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The chart I have says to add about 3 quarts for PTO (if you have one).

You added 2.75 gal (11 quarts), that sounds low to start with. The chart below says it takes 17 quarts on a filter/oil change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Allison transmission fluid capacities.JPG
Views:	470
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	263222  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #3

Allison MD 3060 fluid level

Thanks for the chart and advice, much appreciate your writing. Since I have the MD 3060 and another chart from Adept Ape on YouTube showed 10.5 quarts for the 2 inch sump as I have I removed 2 quarts and just kept the approx 3 gal amount, which is also what I had drained out.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #4

The Allison specs for the amount of fluid required for fill do not account for the oil that drains out of the cooler circuit. Those specs are for the transmission only. You have to add back in whatever additional is required to fill the cooler circuit.
The amount of fluid that is contained in the cooler and cooler lines varies widely from vehicle to vehicle. That's part of why we see this question on here a lot.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #5

Ah why thank you. Thank explains
how I got closer to 3 gal. at fluid drain vs 2.625 spe My 3 gal container over flowed.
I added a quart more more but trans still shifts kind of hard with PAC brake on downshift to 2nd and especially 1st. Wife thought brakes were touchy. Normally I don't feel 2nd and 1st downshift at all. Maybe that's another question I make ask.
Thanks again for the 2 of you who replied.
Mark
Old 10-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Have you checked using the transmission dipstick?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #7

Yes I have checked with dipstick. After getting trans up to 160 dipstick said add cold.
Reading some more about Allison trans and dip sticks, they do not supply it as each coach manufacturer methods of install distances were different so Allison had no control over it. They recommend checking at
Allison shift console.
Somewhere I read "don't be a dipstick, don't use the dipstick."
Thanks you for reply.

Tags
allison, fluid